android
Old 04-05-2011, 03:28 PM

Default MEElectronic's A151 Review

Hi all,

I purchased some MEElectronic A151s from AMP3.co.uk friday last week, and i must say some great customer services from them. Arrived swiftly, no hassle etc. I was sceptic about buying these, as there arent many reviews out there (couple of head-fi posts at max) but, i decided to take their word for it and dive in. Well, I must say... I'm pleasently surprised:

Packaging/Accessories

The packaging is a cardboard box with a plastic container within which holds the headphones and the case. Nothing exciting really, i must be honest here. Dissapointing start, but nothing to worry about.

The accessories, as with all low-end headphones are usually dismal. However, MEElectronics has built up a substantial reputation for providing reasonable quality accessories. These particular headphones come with the standard MEElec clamshell case, which offers decent protection. The case also includes a pouch to store tips etc. Also included are a pair of tri-flange, bi-flange, and three pairs (small, medium, large) of the humble single tips. They are quite nice tips, not too hard or flimsy. +1 Meelec.

Build Quality/ Appearance/ Fit

Hmm, these things do look quite nice
Let's start bottom to top. The jack is straight and gold plated. Would have been nice if it was L-plug but.. meh. There is reasonable strain relief here. Moving up, the cable is gooorggeous. Very nice. Much like Westone cables, it is light, tangle free, doesnt retain any tangles/notches, no memory in the cable (also, as a plus, it is strangely a little stretchy!). It seems to be made of two twsited cables. There are no microphonics (none!!). The cable split is also very well made, more than adequate strain relief, very tough, flexible. The cord cinch is adequate (could be a little tighter, but nevertheless it'll do). Now, onto the 'phones themselves. They are made of plastic, but tough plastic, these things arent gonna fall apart in a hurry (if ever). The strain relief isnt particularily great from cable to housing, but it seems to do the trick. (if in the future it proves to be a disaster then ill post, but for now it seems OK).

Since these are an over the ear design i can only say they are very comfortable for my ears. Superb comfort, especially for long periods of time. The isolation and microphonics are also superb, just stick on some bi/tri flanges and the isolation is great. The cable also sits nicely behind the ear, it is soft and not irratating. Meelec have done well to produce another great looking earphone (e.g. M6) whilst retaining great build quality, i cannot stress enough how good this cable is .

Sound Quality

The A151's bass is typical of an armature iem – control, and clarity. Bass punch is more competetive than the RE0. Bass depth and extension aren’t as well drawn out as Basshead IEM's but the control and texture overrule this. There isnt as much deatil in the sub-bass, but there is some added mid-bass warmth and punch'iness'. However this does not interfere with the detail and texture of the lower range and mids. The mids are actually pretty balanced, because they are not as crisp or bright as some, the A151 sounds warmer.

The treble is smooth and neither harsh or sibilant. It isnt bright or sparkling, but this is appealing, it comes across as more fun. Still, without impacting on the detail, which is impressive for the price. The treble extension kinda runs out at the extent of its frequency range, making it sound slightly unploished. The soundstage is not something to get excited about but decent enough. Instrumental separation are similar. The A151 is not fatiguing but still offers detail.

Conclusion

Meelec have done a stunning job with their first armature IEM. Accurate, clear, maybe slightly dry. Miraculous for a $75 IEM. Superb build quality always seems to come as standard for meelec nowdays, but i must say these cables...

Pros - great build quality
detail, accuracy
punchy, clear bass

Cons - ???!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Thanks for reading, comments would be appreciated as this is my first review... ever

Last edited by james1; 04-06-2011 at 11:59 AM. Reason: typos XD

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-05-2011, 04:02 PM

comments and questions welcomed

Old 04-05-2011, 05:09 PM

Glad you're liking them james. I assume you prefer them to your re0?
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Old 04-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Great review james1 and thanks! Fine fine work

Looks like kudos to MEElectronics for the generous and varied supplied tips and that case looks just like the one Maximo uses for their i590s, albeit in silver.

Love the consideration of microphonics and while I know these seem to be designed as over-ears, have you tried normal straight down wear style just to see how they are?

cheers!
-les
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 04-05-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
... have you tried normal straight down wear style just to see how they are? ...
Check out the pic he took of in ear, I doubt that would work and if so then there would be microphonics added in for sure.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 04-05-2011, 08:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^ Yah good point WG. Was just curious if he tried it
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 04-05-2011, 11:40 PM

Thanks for the well written review, this is my second night with them and I agree with all your points. I am going to give them about a week of head time before I write a review up.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JxK View Post
Glad you're liking them james. I assume you prefer them to your re0?
They are more 'fun' souding, punchier bass, better built. the re0 is more for analytical listening and is a tad fatiguing. it depends what you like really.

Quote:
Great review james1 and thanks! Fine fine work

Looks like kudos to MEElectronics for the generous and varied supplied tips and that case looks just like the one Maximo uses for their i590s, albeit in silver.

Love the consideration of microphonics and while I know these seem to be designed as over-ears, have you tried normal straight down wear style just to see how they are?

cheers!
-les
The tips are pretty good. However, the bi-flanges seem to be supplied by a different manafacturer or other as they are more stiff/harder than they others... i assume that these will soften with use though.

In fact, i have tried straight down style, i doesnt really work but i guess you could use that style if it is more suited to you.

p.s. the cables are amazing! XD

Old 04-06-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Not really, the Maximo case is much tougher than the MEElectronics' clamshell case. But they serve their purpose.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

^ Thanks, good to know cnhardwick. I do very much like the Maximo case
A Glossary for Newbies