android
Old 04-03-2011, 02:32 PM

Default Firmware update ideas - NOT OFFICIAL, NOT MS

I'm just a poster here, and I love my Zune HD. I like the new apps that MS has been pushing, and it makes me think about ideas for improving the general functionality for the HD. Usually, such additions are made through firmware updates or OS releases. Since the HD runs on top of CE, I assume the updates would come through firmware.

Here are some of my ideas for a firmware update... keep in mind, I am not a Microsoft employee (but would love to be one someday) and that this is not a list of features coming in an official release. As you should know, Microsoft has not made any announcements about the future of the Zune lineup. These are simply ideas I have.
Optional multitasking- offer a way to switch between tasks quickly, without completely leaving it. Optional would mean you could go into settings and shut it off, allowing normal operation and (likely) better battery life.

More info bar info- have a clock, battery percentage, wi-fi, or other info in the top info bar. While using the HD, I sometimes find myself looking for the time, which is only accessible through the lock screen. Again, possibly make it to where you could switch such pieces of info on and off.

Compatibility with a larger number of wi-fi security encryption methods- self-explanatory. I'd love to use my HD for info on the go at my university, but can't get on the campus network. Being able to do so would greatly increase the utility of the device, and make the Zune Pass an actual option for me.

Apps organized like the music is- alphabetically, by type, etc.

Allow more third-party apps to run without the reboot.

What else would you guys want in a firmware update?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-03-2011, 02:36 PM

A better info bar will be awesome.

Old 04-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Administrator

How many of these Zune fantasy firmware threads do you think are needed around here? There's at least 3 others active right now. Why not just find one and post there?

Old 04-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
How many of these Zune fantasy firmware threads do you think are needed around here? There's at least 3 others active right now. Why not just find one and post there?
QFT

Old 04-03-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Sorry for trying to contribute?

Old 04-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine1 View Post
Sorry for trying to contribute?
A few helpful tips on contributing productively.

I'm not a mod so it doesn't bother me but they have needed to lock/merge several of these threads all ready. Not just that but there are huge "I want this in the next ZHD firmware" threads existing and active.

That's just one example. If you check those you may find you are opening a new thread just to repeat what has been requested multiple times already. You may also find that whether or not your ideas are possible or have been considered and rejected as not feasible.

The forum has a very good(not perfect!)search engine. I have learned a great deal by using it. You may want to try it.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Best way to contribute is to find the conversation if it's already going, rather than starting a second that is almost identical. No one's chewing you out too harshly here, just offering helpful advice, so ya don't need to be defensive.

The one you're looking for is here:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...=54051&page=15

Old 04-04-2011, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Thank you for understanding. As much as I wish some of this would come true saying it repeatedly in different threads just isn't going to help. Being harsh wasn't my intent. I have learned a lot by searching this place. There's probably as much user based ZHD info here as anywhere else on the 'Net.

BTW did you notice? The thread you linked to will reach it's 1 year birthday tomorrow?

Old 04-06-2011, 07:54 AM

Dont think thats gonna happen.
Dont want multitasking with 128mb ram.
Other stuff you're asking for as mostly a reason, that it just doesnt work. They arent deniing to implement youtube, because they never thought about it.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGyyver View Post
Dont think thats gonna happen.
Dont want multitasking with 128mb ram.
Other stuff you're asking for as mostly a reason, that it just doesnt work. They arent deniing to implement youtube, because they never thought about it.
I remember multitasking CAD apps on 16MB RAM.
Windows 95 on a 486DX.
iPod Mini 32GB (CF Mod)
V-Moda Remix

Old 04-06-2011, 06:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Thank you for understanding. As much as I wish some of this would come true saying it repeatedly in different threads just isn't going to help. Being harsh wasn't my intent. I have learned a lot by searching this place. There's probably as much user based ZHD info here as anywhere else on the 'Net.

BTW did you notice? The thread you linked to will reach it's 1 year birthday tomorrow?
No, I didn't notice that! Well... That just made me get sentimental. I think I'm gonna cry... Good thing none of you can see me...

Oh hey, just noticed, when'd you become a mod, skip? Congrats? I actually kinda feel bad for you. You have some responsibility to keep things in order around here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus_NB View Post
I remember multitasking CAD apps on 16MB RAM.
Windows 95 on a 486DX.
Hahaha well those probably didn't take as much RAM as the HD's processes...

I am not a proponent of multi-tasking on the HD. People complain enough about it being slow as is.