android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative

Old 01-13-2007, 12:38 PM

Default Any reason not to buy Creative? And what accessories needed?

I've been researching the 30gb Creative Zen Vision: M players for the past few weeks. They seem to fit into my budget and the reason I'm looking to purchase one is to be able to have something to travel with: mp3/video this year as I have five business trips planned for 2007 so far.

My first question is, is there any reason not to buy Creative? Any glitches or bugs that make it undesirable? Will I be too limited on accessories if I wanted to, say, do something like use it in a clock/radio set up in the bedroom or hook it up to a speaker system?

My second question is, if I do buy that particular player, what accessories do I need right off, to get the best use out of the player as well as protect it from damage?

Any help to me is appreciated, as I'm the type of person who stays up to date on technology, I tend to bumble along with this type of thing!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-13-2007, 12:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

One reason not to buy Creative: they're only using MTP transfer mode, not UMS/MSC. But if you only use the player on a single Windows XP computer, you should be fine.

Old 01-13-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
One reason not to buy Creative: they're only using MTP transfer mode, not UMS/MSC. But if you only use the player on a single Windows XP computer, you should be fine.
So in other words, I could transfer files from my laptop, but if I wanted to also transfer from the desktop, that would be a problem? Is there any way around this?

Old 01-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No, if both are Windows XP it should work, in theory... but since you can't just drag'n'drop files onto a Creative player like you do on an external hard disk, it might get confused, resulting in duplicate files, for example. This might depend on what software you use to fill the player with music: Windows Media Player, the Creative software, Mediamonkey, etc...

Disclaimer: I'm no expert on Creative players, better wait for another opinion. Otherwise Creative players are really nice, generally.

Old 01-13-2007, 01:08 PM

I appreciate your reply all the same!

And likely, I'd be using Windows Media Player.

Old 01-13-2007, 10:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome, Angie!

And don't let that mean ol' dfkt scare you! There is nothing wrong with MTP, except that it's still a very new standard. When implemented properly, you really can't tell the difference between it and UMS.

Anyways... I've owned a Vision:M for about nine months now, and have never once regretted getting it. It's a truly amazing player; but there are a few things you should know about it so that you can get the best experience from it that it has to offer. All of those are covered in my FAQ thread at the top of the Vision:M forum here. Please take a look through it, and take a look through the other threads there as well.

Oh, take a minute to introduce yourself in the Vision:M forum - We're a bit wild and crazy, but we're very friendly, very helpful, and we don't bite (much)!

Oh, and dfkt: Yes, you can drag-and-drop things into the ZVM. You can even create folders and move things around within the device. It's Windows XP (or, at least, one that's not completely up to date) that imposes those limitations you speak of, not the player, or MTP itself. It works flawlessly on Vista.

Old 01-14-2007, 08:42 AM

Regarding MTP, make sure you are using usb2.0 ports. It doesnt seem to like usb1.1

My gripes with the ZVM:
* Stupid dongle at the bottom - id be happy to make the player 1cm longer so that they use a normal usb-5 pin, as well as a normal DC adapter. Video output should be on the headphone jack.
* I still would like ogg/flac
* Better ripping software, no make that software in general.
* Still plugging my idea for seek acceleration

But anyway, I bought mine after research and waiting... never regretted it!

I would suggest something to protect your player, even though it comes with a tiny white pouch. Leave the screen protector on, or buy some protectors (bse?) or grab some ipaq covers and cut them up. The black zen scratches quite easily.

Old 01-15-2007, 05:45 AM

Personally I love my ZVW and have been gloating at mere mortals who use players from other companies. I think it's hilarious that apple's new Iphone with it's vaunted widescreen still isn't going to be as nice as the one on my zvw and my zvw is half the cost.