android
Old 03-27-2011, 10:17 AM

Default Best Method to Burn-In (Break-In) IEMs?

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a SoundMagic PL30 and will purchase a Klipsch Image S4 soon to replace my busted Creative Ep630s.

I was wondering what technique you guys use to burn-in your IEMs fresh out of the box. I know there are different ways of "burning in," but I would like some tried and tested suggestions as this is the first time I'll be conducting these.

While I'm open to suggestions, I have actually tried the following methods:

1. Continuously play the same looped audio file from the JLab Audio Site.

2. Download all the files from the Burn-In Wave Website and create a playlist that repeats.

My playlist is as follows:
1. All noise tracks
2. 30 Second Rest (Silence)
3. All the Sweep Files
4. 30 Second Rest (Silence)
5. All independent low frequency waves
6. 30 Second Rest (Silence)
7. Sound Channels Mix
8. Heavy Drum
9. Various test sounds (Shower, car, church walking, and storm)
10. 1 Hour Rest (Silence)
-Repeat everything for approximately 6-7 hours (including the 1 hour rests)

Please advise me whether these methods are appropriate for burning in and if my test times are proper. I wouldn't want to destroy my drivers, but would like to expedite the process of getting optimum sound.

Thanks for any replies!

Last edited by dv8tor; 03-27-2011 at 01:06 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-27-2011, 10:20 AM

Listen to music!

Old 03-27-2011, 10:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I was always under the impression that "cans" referred to larger on-ear and around-ear headphones....not little tiny IEM's.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Just take time to listen to some varieties of music.....I guess, lol.

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 03-27-2011, 12:43 PM

Play music, not noise files. If you search, you'll find a post where dfkt mentions that using noise files could affect the sound signature in a negative way.

So, if possible, "burn-in" by listening to music. Otherwise, just connect them to any source set at slightly higher than your normal listening volume and play music on shuffle/loop.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Take a look here. It's the post esanthosh is referring to. +1 on the put them on and listen to them method. No effort, no risk of damage and you have the fun of hearing any changes as the drivers flex in.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I was always under the impression that "cans" referred to larger on-ear and around-ear headphones....not little tiny IEM's.
Hehe. My bad. I'm sorry about that wrong use of terminology. Honestly, I'm quite new to pre-purchase research on headphones and remember seeing the word "cans" on other posts. Anyways, thanks for correcting me Marvin. Saved me from future embarrassment. Appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esanthosh View Post
Play music, not noise files. If you search, you'll find a post where dfkt mentions that using noise files could affect the sound signature in a negative way.

So, if possible, "burn-in" by listening to music. Otherwise, just connect them to any source set at slightly higher than your normal listening volume and play music on shuffle/loop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Take a look here. It's the post esanthosh is referring to. +1 on the put them on and listen to them method. No effort, no risk of damage and you have the fun of hearing any changes as the drivers flex in.
Thanks esanthosh and skip. I've read the posts from dfkt you guys were referring to. Really useful information and he seems to be really knowledgeable on the topic; conducting tests himself. Will just burn-in my IEMs using the various music on loop method. You guys saved me from potential damage to my new IEMs.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv8tor View Post
... ... Will just burn-in my IEMs using the various music on loop method. ...
Why even loop it, just listen and enjoy them & your tunes along the way. If they change for the better or don't change at all you'll know for sure as you were the one listening. Good luck and have fun with them

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-27-2011, 06:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv8tor View Post
Thanks esanthosh and skip. I've read the posts from dfkt you guys were referring to. Really useful information and he seems to be really knowledgeable on the topic; conducting tests himself. Will just burn-in my IEMs using the various music on loop method. You guys saved me from potential damage to my new IEMs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Why even loop it, just listen and enjoy them & your tunes along the way. If they change for the better or don't change at all you'll know for sure as you were the one listening. Good luck and have fun with them
Definitely don't worry about "burn-in." Just let it happen naturally. You'll be fine.

Oh yea, and if you stick around a while, you'll definitely learn some great stuff from people who know a lot. Like dfkt and WalkGood.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:56 PM

Thanks again for all the comments guys. You've been really helpful and accommodating. I just got my Klipsch Image S4's and they blow the PL30's out of the water.