android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 03-08-2011, 10:39 AM

Smile Looking for accurate and comfy circumaural headphones

Hi everyone, after wandering for some time on the site and forums I've read a ton of interesting reviews and advice on iems but only few recommendations for over the ear headphones.

For the last ten years I've been using cheap audio gear and I'd like to take the next step on this. I'm about to buy a S9 and I'd love to take the most out of it with a decent headphones set.

I'd really appreciate your advice! Here's my desired specs:
  • $90 to $110 usd
  • Open, circumaural headphones
  • Accurate, warm sound
  • Comfortable (not too heavy, not too hot to wear, for long listening periods)
  • Balanced from lows to highs
  • Nice bass without being ridiculous
  • Good stereo imaging
I would be using them at home or the office, where ambient sound is not a problem. So they don't need to be extremely loud or have noise isolation of any kind; in fact it would be better if they do let some sound in (because of people calling you, etc). Also they don't need to be ultra portable or anything but I'd stay away from bulky housings if possible

I don't want them to have ground-shaking bass. I'd rather have balanced sound that will follow whatever EQ preset I choose on the S9 and allow for individual instrument separation/recognition.

Thank you!! I'm already exited

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Two sets you should look into are the Sennheiser HD555 and the Audio Technica ad700. I havn't used either extensively, but I think the general consensus is that most would prefer the HD555 sound signature over the AD700's which most people would probably call anemic in the bass department.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:45 PM

Thank you Jack4L!!

I did some research on the models you suggested. They both look very promissing! I'm glad to know the ammount I'm willing to pay is enough for that kind of equipment.

Now... would they sound good even when paired with low-end players like a Walkman NWZ-B512F? or a PSP? I know it's like overkill 'cause the sound card is not that good and stuff but... what if I buy the headphones first and wait a little bit more before getting the S9?

Sorry for being such a newbie, heh

Old 03-09-2011, 01:07 PM

I haven't tried them myself but FWIR the HD 555's do sound like exactly what you are looking for.

Don't worry, the source doesn't matter much. Just be sure to use good audio files!

Old 03-10-2011, 10:34 PM

I've been using HD555's for about a year now and I really love them. I'm not sure how they would sound with your mp3 players but I'm sure they would be fine. I like the way they sound coming straight out of my Zune HD, and it's not like the Zune is the best sounding player in the world.

I do find myself listening to my old portable CD player a lot, though. As Satellite_6 said, the quality of the audio files probably makes a bigger difference than the player.

Old 03-11-2011, 03:50 PM

I see. My files are OK. Thank you for your advice! I ordered the HD555 and they should be here next week. I'll tell you how it goes OMG can't wait!!! heh heh

Old 03-13-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefhar View Post
I see. My files are OK. Thank you for your advice! I ordered the HD555 and they should be here next week. I'll tell you how it goes OMG can't wait!!! heh heh
You're going to enjoy them! oh and:

Old 03-20-2011, 02:51 PM

Thank you everybody! I'm really happy with my purchase.

I'm using them with an iMac for a source and they sound very nice indeed, with clear sound over all freqs.

Too bad when paired with either the walkman or the PSP they sound muffled. I guess that's when people need amplifiers, right?

@Alon93, That mod is very tempting, I'll give it a try after getting used to their unmodified sound thanks for sharing!

Old 03-20-2011, 04:52 PM

I was thinking about getting a pair of those my self, let us know how well the mod works once you do it. Also, how bad is the sound leakage? I know that their open, so im assuming its pretty bad

Old 03-20-2011, 07:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The AIAIAI TMA-1 can be powered by a Sony Walkman with ease. As for using the psp as a source for audio - it sux! I own the pspGO, my oldest son has the 2000, and my youngest has the 3000 - all are terrible for audio playback.

Tags
open headphones