android
Old 03-19-2011, 01:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Help Phone recommendations, please and thanks!

Hey, everybody. I'm not much of a headphone guy, and I mostly just use IEMs cuz I'm normally on the go. But, I've taken to watching videos on my laptop at home, and want to get some nice headphones because IEMs irritate my ears after wearing them for a while.

So, without further ado, some specs:

-Preferably around 80-100 USD, but price is somewhat flexible.
-Portable to the point that I can move and bend over without them falling off.
-Closed preferable, but open could work, too.
-Circumaural preferable, but again not an end-all.
-Mostly at home, possibly sometimes in a gymnasium/field house (which is why I was thinking closed, for the noise isolation aspect). Not for during exercise, just that I'll be in a noisy environment sometimes.
-Balanced sound quality.
-TV shows/movies, rock/heavy metal/(some) hip hop.
-Source would mostly be my computer, but also a ZuneHD.

Thanks in advance! And any further info would be helpful because as far as legit headphones go, I'm not exactly an expert.

Oh yea, and I live in America, so being able to find any phone's shouldn't be too difficult.

Last edited by steinburger1109; 03-19-2011 at 03:52 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-19-2011, 07:42 AM

If you stretch your budget a little or consider looking second hand, there are a few contenders. Audio Technica ATH-M50, beyerdyanmic DT770 (80ohms), Ultrasone HFI-780 are all decent closed circumaural headphones at a low price which are suitable for an mp3 player or computer.

The most balanced sounding of those (IMO) is the ATH-M50, but I like all three.

How will you be using them at the gym though? If jogging, I would recommend sticking to the IEMS. Anything stationary like weights would be fine for circumaural headphones though.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks for the advice! The Audio Technicas look like the best choice, the Beyerdynamics might be pushing the price but they're doable, and the Ultrasones are too much I think.

I do remember reading about the Audio Technicas somewhere I think, unless maybe it was a different model. I'll definitely look into those.

I didn't mean I wanted to use them while working out, I'll definitely stick with my Panas IEMs for that, I just happen to be waiting in noisy gyms a lot, and so I'd use it in that area, but not while actual exercise. I'll try to make that more clear...

Thanks again!

Old 03-19-2011, 07:16 PM

Ironically for the price I'd actually rate the Ultrasones lowest of the three, even though I do like them a lot and they are my current closed portables. I still prefer the ATH-M50 I used to own and gave to my girl friend. They're extremely good for the price, I think you'll like them. They are close to balanced, with a nice boosted bass and slightly boosted treble, but not V shaped and on the whole pretty neutral.

I'm still enjoying the Ultrasones now but feel they are wearing thin, think I may give the DT770/80 a whirl next as I've listened to them a bit and like them a lot. Very comfortable too. Want to wait and see what the DT1350 has to offer first. If dfkt reads this - any plans on a review of those?

Old 03-20-2011, 12:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well thanks very much for the advice! I think I'm going to order the Audio Technica ones when I finish saving up...