android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 03-14-2011, 10:34 PM

Check this out guys http://twitter.com/search?q=RIP%20Zune%20Player
its the fifth trending topic twitter WORLDWIDE, which goes to show you that Zune was loved by many people..Screw MSFT

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-14-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uberman5000 View Post
When is the next PDC?
what is PDC?

Old 03-14-2011, 10:52 PM

Once WP7 was announced I assumed the ZuneHD was history. Microsoft never cared for the Zune players after release. They didn't advertise or market them. They depended on word of mouth and happenstance. It's fate has long been sealed. The best portable music player on the market has been allowed to die via neglect of the parents. The come from behind kids have let the clock run out on them. They bested the Ipod after the Ipod became irrelevant. They refused to compete with the Ipod Touch. No way is the ZuneHD an Ipod Touch competitor, never has been.

They can forget about WP7 filling the gap because the wireless providers will never allow it. And I will not pay for a data plan just to have a good music player.

If this becomes a reality I guess it's off to get a ZuneHD 64. Letting the Zune player die doesn't change that it is the best ever at what it does.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:02 PM

Location: Pennsylvania, United States of America(but always Saint Andrews, Scotland, United Kingdom), Earth, S

^exactly^ also what is PDC? I don't know as well.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

PDC? A few guesses:

Public Display of Contempt.
Primary Domain Controller.
Perfect Digitial Codec.
Pretty Darned Cute.
Program, Debug, Compile.

Pick one.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathscythe View Post
what is PDC?
The Professional Developers Conference, a Microsoft-sponsored conference for new announcements. I don't think they're having one this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Public Display of Contempt.
Though I would also go with this one.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:36 PM

Good question, I thought there will be one in September but apparently not. I guess MIX 2011 next month will have to be the one. We missed CTIA, CES, MWC. There is one more (MIX) and I will consider the Zune hardware dead along with its firmware unless they have something huge in the firmware that is taking so long but I highly doubt they would put such a huge update into a product they aren't producing anymore.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:46 AM

sigh... well.. a lot of us knew this was coming. just a matter of time.

apple is advancing far too quick for the Zune to keep up. unfortunately i've caved in and bought the 4g. tbh, it is better. but the Zunehd was still a nifty device. now i wish i hadn't spent $300+ on it when it came out =\

Old 03-15-2011, 09:03 AM
Banned

They will announce a new Zune hardware at E3 and call it the NGX (Next Generation Xune).
hehe.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:31 AM

As I stated here I think it's a shame and would like to see MSFT stay in the game, sure it's not a player for me unless they open up their locked down system but any ipod competion is good in my book. Hell if SanDisk can do it, I see no reason that MSFT can't, hope I'm wrong but I doubt they're announcing a new zune player ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-15-2011, 11:55 AM

So when do we get to hear - "Well Guys I cant really talk about anything right now..."?

Same ol' same ol'

Old 03-15-2011, 01:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daglesj View Post
So when do we get to hear - "Well Guys I cant really talk about anything right now..."?

Same ol' same ol'
I'm guessing you missed this thread. I think it satisfies your criteria...

Old 03-15-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithetless View Post
I'm guessing you missed this thread. I think it satisfies your criteria...

To be honest pretty much.

"Well, to be clear - I'm not sure I'm able to "clear up" much, since I really can't say a whole lot. What I can say is - until you get it from us, don't read into ANYTHING published from "sources familiar with the matter".

Nothing we havent heard for the past 18 months+ really.

It really is "S*it or get off the pot" time.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:34 PM

I can;t see too many companies standing up and saying 'We aren't going to make this any more'. It really would be a statement of failure. Most companies like concentrating on stories of success and just let the failures go unannounced.

I think that is why you hear of the 'Zune Ecosystem' and such now. It makes it sound like that was what it was all about from the beginning. Not that pesky media player. It was always about the Zune Ecosystem on WP7 and the PC.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stujoe View Post
I can;t see too many companies standing up and saying 'We aren't going to make this any more'. It really would be a statement of failure. Most companies like concentrating on stories of success and just let the failures go unannounced.

I think that is why you hear of the 'Zune Ecosystem' and such now. It makes it sound like that was what it was all about from the beginning. Not that pesky media player. It was always about the Zune Ecosystem on WP7 and the PC.
That's a good point. But I still think there's a way to be honest in the face of mounting questions/concern while continuing to focus on the promise of the future. A PC Mag article (which I also posted about in Dave's "Today's rumors..." thread) explores the issue well, I think. Their takeaway is: "In the absence of clear information from Microsoft, everyone else can and will shape the message." And people don't seem to be shaping the message too positively in Microsoft's absence.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:21 PM

Well, after I read about this it pushed me over the edge to finally cancel Zune Pass.

I liked the ZuneHD, bought it the day it came out, and (to my surprise) really liked the Zune Pass as well. But it was clear almost from day one that MS was NOT interested in supporting the platform. No app store, no updates, no hardware accessories to speak of. I should have known, this certainly isn't the first time MS abandons a platform and leaves users hanging (PlaysForSure anyone?)

My Nexus One now has taken over all duties of the Zune. Music subscription (MOG), podcasts (Google), and storage of my CD collection on the sd card. Not as slick as the Zune, but well supported and the software side is bound to have a future on many devices.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:39 PM

I was keen to try ZunePass but waited so long for it to arrive that Spotify came along and totally negated the need for ZunePass. Also Spotify has a damn good free service that works perfectly for me.

I would have bitten two years ago but too late now.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:53 PM

Darn. I knew something was wrong the other day when I went to BB to pick something up and saw that the ZuneHD 16gb was on sale and had a discontinued tag under the display model. I just got my 32gb in December. And I am 'one of those people' who own a dumb phone on purpose. Sure I am envious when my co-worker is surfing the web when he feels like it. But I am not envious of how much he pays each month. I checked out smart phones at my cell phone provider and they made it sound like such a great deal. Ya right! I may go purchase another Zune just for a back up. It is a great PMP.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecnc View Post
I may go purchase another Zune just for a back up.
I doubt you need to hurry. It's not like they were ever in high demand...and prices are bound to fall if you wait.