android
Old 03-03-2011, 11:14 AM

Cool Replacing My iTouch 4G (With Cowon J3)

I'm new to the forum, so please bear with me...

I currently own an iPod Touch 4G, 32GB, but have not been satisfied with the audio/video quality (plus I run Ubuntu as an operating system, which the iT4G doesn't play nice with), so I have been looking to replace it. In my web surfing I came across the Cowon J3, which seems to me to be the most suitable alternative. It all looks good so far, but possible lag in the OS is bothering me, but I haven't had a chance to get my hands on one to test it out. So I guess my question is, does the OS/UI/GUI lag? I read on some sites that it does, but i know a lot of people misinterpret lack of flashy animations as lag, which is not the case. Any other comments/opinions are welcome.

~Clappy

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Welcome to ABI

Let me save you a ton of money: Download EQu via iTunes, install it on your iPod Touch, and you will then have a custom Equalizer that closes the SQ gap between the Touch and the J3.

P.S. I have the Cowon X7, so I am familiar with the sound signature of the J3. BBE is a bit more dynamic, IMO but you will be pleasantly surprised with EQu.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:44 AM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
Welcome to ABI
Let me save you a ton of money ...
How does that address his Ubuntu issues with apple?

Edit: BTW welcome to abi clappboard, the abi cowon j3 review is here and I doubt you'd have any problems connecting it to most any OS in MSC mode, well except for apples

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-03-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
Welcome to ABI

Let me save you a ton of money: Download EQu via iTunes, install it on your iPod Touch, and you will then have a custom Equalizer that closes the SQ gap between the Touch and the J3.

P.S. I have the Cowon X7, so I am familiar with the sound signature of the J3. BBE is a bit more dynamic, IMO but you will be pleasantly surprised with EQu.
Thanks for the welcome, and the reply. The thing is though, that I don't use Windows. In fact, I hate it (well, that's a bit extreme. I dislike it), so I was also looking at the J3 because of its more open-source and adaptable OS, which is a lot easier to modify.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:53 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood
How does that address his Ubuntu issues with apple?
Yep, you're correct. I read the OP very quickly and completely missed before that he's using Linux.

On that note, yes, it's best to get the J3 or some other Cowon with the same SQ.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:04 PM
ABI Invaluable

Clapboard I have not used the j3 so I can’t comment on your UI and FW question but from what I’ve read it’s ok but I’m sure some of the j3 owners/users will reply to your questions soon enough, good luck.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clappboard View Post
Thanks for the welcome, and the reply. The thing is though, that I don't use Windows. In fact, I hate it (well, that's a bit extreme. I dislike it), so I was also looking at the J3 because of its more open-source and adaptable OS, which is a lot easier to modify.
unfortunately, the firmware or OS is proprietary, so there is not much to modify. you can change some stuff, like the UCI but that's about it. if you want a player that is modifiable, go cowon d3, it has android OS on board and is comparable to the j3, though with much shorter battery life and much higher price.

edit: oh, and the ui doesn't lag at all. (the d3 is another case, though)

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 03-03-2011, 12:07 PM

I know that the clip + plays well with linux.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

I have owned the J3 for a short time, and it is one of the snappiest players I have ever used. Also, the screen is ultra responsive.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:17 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. It seems like the UI lag was just nonsense, which is good to know. Also, does anyone know how often, if at all, Cowon releases firmware updates?

Old 03-03-2011, 12:23 PM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by clappboard View Post
... Also, does anyone know how often, if at all, Cowon releases firmware updates?
Your guess is as good as ours, IMO they’re at par with all other mfg’s.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:23 PM

i'm gonna be a little more specific on this one: in the first half after release, firmware upgrades are quite frequent, up to 1 per month and then it ebbs away a bit and you only get an update occasionally.

btw. they just release a new upgrade (2.24, for the international version) and i guess there's going to be at least one or two more in the coming months.
ofc if there's is a critical bug, they likely fix it, but generally after two years chances are rather small for another upgrade.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 03-03-2011, 07:15 PM

Don't expect sonic improvements, but the J3 will work for your needs.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Normally I'd suggest the same thing that musichound did (I have an iPod Touch 4G 32GB too).

But since I have absolutely nothing against you using Ubuntu, since I like it myself (but I use Win7 as my main OS), the J3 is the way to go

Good luck with your new toy !

Retired Devices:
Sansa Fuze 8+16GB Rockboxed

Old 03-04-2011, 12:51 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inks View Post
Don't expect sonic improvements, but the J3 will work for your needs.
For stock devices the J3 has the better SQ w/it's EQ and sound enhancements,... Also, the OP uses LINUX - so the iPod touch isn't for him/her.

Also, something that hasn't been mentioned - if you plan on ONLY using IEM's, the volume level of the touch is fine, but if larger sized cans are used the volume is a bit anemic (even when using an app like EQu or Equalizer). The J3 has a louder perceived volume, and works well w/power hungry cans, as well as IEM's and such. I'd say the J3 is for you, I've owned it, I miss it. I have an iPhone 4 - the J3 is the better sounding device, IMO, YMMV.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:01 PM

Thanks for all the info guys. I've got my friend to buy my iTouch for $220. Does anyone know where I can get good deals on the J3 in Canada?
Thanks.

Tags
4g, cowon, ipod touch, j3, replace