android
Old 03-09-2011, 06:37 PM

Default Is is safe to use magnets on a case for the J3?

hi, im currently creating a case for my gorgeous J3. I want to create a flap to close the case, but is it safe to use a magnet to hold the flap shut? Would it affect the J3's memory or anything? (The general rule of thumb that i learned for electronics, is not to place magnets near them. Will this apply to the J3?)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-09-2011, 07:17 PM

The J3's standard leather case from Cowon contains a front flap that hinges from the top edge of the J3, and has a smaller "latch" flap at the bottom which when the large flap is closed (i.e. down over the J3's screen) then wraps around the bottom edge of the J3 and up to the back leather surface.

This smaller "latch" flap actually has a small magnet in it. And obviously there's a matching magnetic plate inside the back leather surface of the whole case, because the "latch flap" simply adheres.

Also, if you do accidentally hold the J3 up to a CRT computer screen for some reason, you will instantly see the unwanted effect of that even very small magnetic field from the leather case... as there will be a discoloration on the screen caused by the case. Powering off and on the screen will de-gauss it if it's a CRT.

So, a magnetic approach in case design is apparently fine... though it should probably be very small.

As long as it's small, it apparently does no harm to the J3, as confirmed by Cowon's own leather case.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:18 PM

thank you for such a fast response! now i know it will be safe to proceed according to plan

Old 03-10-2011, 09:56 AM

The main reason you aren't supposed to hold magnets to mp3 players would be if they had a hard drive. Magnetic fields and hard drives don't mix well, so keep that in mind for more than just mp3 players.

The J3 uses flash memory though, and there is nothing magnetic in flash memory. Strong magnetic fields though would disrupt the working of the mp3 player itself, but I'm sure you won't have to worry about that for a small one.

Also, the matching magnetic plate inside the creative one probably isn't magnetic at all, its likely just a piece of metal.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Apple is putting magnets into the new iPad. Can't be much of a threat if they are building them into the frame itself.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:54 PM

thanks guys. I finished the case, using two flat, square magnets. Prob post pics soon