android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 03-07-2011, 06:54 PM

Default How do I minimize outside noise while still listening to music?

My main question is what are the most effective noise-cancelling headphones that are as loud or louder than the Senheiser PXC-250?

I'm currently a grad student and I live in a relatively loud environment. I ususally study to music, but can't do it when there are other sounds around me (aside the music itself)
What I started doing is wearing earplugs (Mack's Pillowsoft) that reduce noise significantly, and then wear my Senheiser PXC-250 noise canceling headphones over the earplugs.
It works pretty well, but I think I've overused the PXC-250 (the noise cancellation basically stopped working and the sound itself is getting spotty)
I'm looking to get new noise-cancelling headphones to study with (over the earplugs)

Sound quality isn't that important (because the earplugs muffle the sound anyway), but noise-cancellation and volume are important.
On the senheiser website it says the Sound Pressure Level (SPL) for the PXC-250 is 112 db. Not sure if that's a direct reflection of the volume, but i figure it has to do with it.

I'd prefer (but don't require) Closed , Circumaural (and blue-tooth) headphones, and price really isn't an issue.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-07-2011, 07:10 PM

I think using earplugs and cans at the same time seems like overkill. Why not go for some good IEMs instead?
-They will isolate from outside noise far better
-they will definitely have better sound (because earplugs always alter the sound a little bit)
-since you already have earplugs in your ears, you already miss out on the comfort using cans. why not use IEMs instead?
-IEMs can be annoying for outside use because they can have a tendency to fall out of your ears, but for indoor, calm listening, they will be very comfortable