android
Old 03-06-2011, 01:00 PM

Default What amp should i get? around $100

iv been looking at getting a new portable headphones amp. iv had a PA2V2 amp for awhile and im using it with some AT ATH-M50s. iv looked at the headroom total airhead and the fireye but i dont really know much about portable amps. a good bass booster would be ideal. any suggestions?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-06-2011, 03:47 PM

I can't believe that the ATH-M50 would even need an amp being low sensitivity and 38 ohms. I would think that if you don't look at one that has bass boost you won't note any difference. I don't know any good ones under $100 that have bass boost, there's the FiiO E7 amp which does have a USB DAC and 3-level bass boost but I don't have any experience with FiiO's and I can't say I'm a fan. If you're willing to spend more our admin reviewed the Headstage Arrow, which he likes the bass boost on but it's $100.00 over your budget. If that's too much, I'd probably just save the money for a new set of cans, good luck and let us hear back what you go with ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 03-06-2011, 05:55 PM

In my experience, amps have more of an influence on the sound of cans that colorize the sound. Many of my Sennheisers sound better with an amp even though their impedance and sensitivity wouldnt suggest that an amp would be of any help.

Unfortunately, with studio/flat cans such as the ATH-M50s, I am yet to hear a difference when used with an amp. IMO, its a waste of money to get an amp for these cans. Instead, you might consider a good DSP such as BBE or some other sonic exciter that could do the trick for you.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:51 PM

They dont "need" an amp but I get a good volume boost hence why I got the cheapest amp I could find, I wasn't looking for or expecting a huge change when I got this amp, so th main reason for me upgrading to a better quality amp is because I plan on getting a new set of cans, I'm still deciding which ones I'm gona get but I'm leaning toward some grado SR-80is and according to several reviews u can get a pretty good difference with an amp, is it even worth it to pay the $100 forth total airhead? Or would it be a waste?

Old 03-07-2011, 01:03 AM

Why don't you get the cans first and then decide? Your sources might be more than sufficient for the Grados.

Tags
amp, headphones, headpones amp