android
Old 08-02-2007, 03:07 AM

Default Xtra 60GB being taken apart

For those who need to see before hand what the insides looks like so you do not get lost at taking it apart.

From the pcture you can see the cover release is located at the bottom as a release switch.

After removing the cover, there is a white plastic strip to help release the battery from the hard plastic frame. There are 4 screws you can notice, those hold the hard drive in place, we will come back to those later.

Now we just flip the device over to remove the back metal cover. A small electronics screw driver will remove those. Make sure to start grouping your screws in order to put them back. The Xtra uses several different sized screws to hold the whole thing together.

After taking the back metal cover off there is a small copper foil that shows up and is held in place with the warranty sticker.

We now can rotate the Xtra 90 degrees so the volume control is facing you. Now remove the small piece right above it.

After rotating it back into the previous position as before remove the two long screws that hold down the bottom plastic part (the part that has the front cover release). The screws for these will be long, so don't rush and try to pull the part out with screws halfway out. Once you remove it the release switch will fall out, thats because it was held in place with the metal pins that you expose after removing the bottom.

Now we flip it back over to the front and proceed to remove the 4 hard drive screws we talked about earlier.

The hard drive is installed into the Xtra like a drive installed into an external hard drive case. The top part (at the top of the device) slowly life up the drive so the drive clears one end and slowly pull it away from the socket. The angle of the drive should be like 15 to 20 degrees from the casing before extracting.

You can stop at this point for those who are only in need of replacing the drive. Everything below from here on out are for those who need to extract the PCB for service.

The board will almost just pop out from this point. You might need to slightly bend the case enough to get the silver plastic buttons covers to let go of the PCB. Becareful because there are 2 metal springs that are hidden from view under the PCB.

Here is the PCB by itself. The LCD is soldered in place to the board, making for replacement of parts under the LCD difficult.

http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x...tion_zen_xtra/

Notes: There is a piece of copper foil that seems to do nothing. LCD is soldered directly to the PCB, also the AC port is located right below the LCD.

Possiblities for an Xtra for not working would be a resistor or capacitor located near either the battery or AC port blowing out. For those with a good eye can locate it by the spread of light brown resin around the affected part melted

Also note that mine still works. The hard drive uses a RAW format to store the inforamtion, might be an early attempt at security or something. The drive also shows up as unformated to an XP system.

Make sure to organize the screws when taking it apart, there are several different length screws used in this.

you can ask me about taking it apart if your in need of some information about it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-03-2007, 12:35 AM

Can the Zen Xtra be used as a portable external HDD? if so how?

Old 11-05-2007, 10:50 PM

not really. the firmware formats the drive in an unrecognizable format. If you want to use just the drive, you can extract it from the xtra and pop it into a external drive sled and have it formated. if you want to use it in the zen xtra, it is not possible.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:22 PM

I opened it up and did it went well and all, but I cant seem to figure out how to fix my headphone jack, its out on my left ear and it comes back in only if I press REALLY hard in that direction or if I hold it in a certain way halfway out.

It also seems to be held together by some sort of glue from a hot glue gun, I did not notice that in your photos, might have been the last owners try at fixing it....

Old 03-02-2011, 01:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It's called solder this may help you to figure it out. Hot glue will not fix it http://www.rimmell.com/creative_nomad_socket.htm

Old 03-02-2011, 03:12 AM

I know hot glue would not fix it, thats what the previous owner did, now both sides are covered in glue....Seems like someone already repaired it and it failed again.

Thanks for the tutorial...seems I need to get this glue off somehow first...its not peeling well, well I am afriad to use force, might hit something.

Last edited by spardasieg; 03-02-2011 at 03:30 AM.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spardasieg View Post
I know hot glue would not fix it, thats what the previous owner did, now both sides are covered in glue....
Good Luck

Old 03-02-2011, 03:54 PM

Yeah haha, got this off ebay, guy said he barely used, it, came all dented up, front cover is sorta lose, battery is about half dead(Gets about 5-6 hours). It was opened and repaired badly.

He gave me the money back and said to keep it, wonder what he was thinking, like someone would not ask for a refund haha.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok you got your money back so ,if you can't fix it no loss. If you do then great price.

Last edited by coachop94; 03-06-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:08 PM

Yeah I already got solder and the gun, just waiting till I am in "That kinda mood" to attempt it, I pealed most of the glue off.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Let us know the outcome