android
Old 02-27-2011, 04:23 PM

Default Pics of my custom homebrew Zune HD car mount!

Just finished my car mount creation for my Zune HD. Its in my Jeep Wk. Thanks to Proclip for the inspiration, its too bad I couldn't see my self spending $40 on there mount, its a nice one.

Anywho, this cost me a total of $6 and 3 hours of time. Its also better IMO because it customized for my vehicle. Its made form clear Acrylic, 2x 1/2" plastic spaces, 1-1/4" screws. I used the Zune Premium car kit to integrate to my cars AUX. I like using this because I don't need to mess with volume on the Zune itself. The sound on my cars AUX is particularity good too the AUX cable is actually soldered to the back to the front AUX on the stereo and router down the dash and out next to a cigarette light I added to the center control compartment. This way the Premium car pack and plug in there and get AUX. Makes for cleaner look!

Some notes:
- The acrylic was cit with a jig saw, then sanded the edges smooth, heated with torch, then bend by hand. Heating the edges also makes them clear again ;-) (this part takes some practice)
- The screws are counter sunk fully so not to scratch the Zune HD.
- The back of the dash board has a customer cut piece of acrylic with the 2 screws going thru it to aid in strength of the mount and help not to flex my dash from the weight over time.
-Its all painted semi black to match my interior
-the cloth on the inside is the soft side of Velcro. I need to find it that thin in black. All the black stuff I found was too thick.
-I will eventually rout that car pack cable back up under the dash.

Last edited by s10010001; 02-27-2011 at 05:39 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-27-2011, 04:38 PM

WOW 0.0 that is freakin awesome right their bro, wish i could do that lol

Old 02-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Excellent work!!!

Old 02-27-2011, 06:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Nice.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:47 PM

Great job, the bends on the acrylic look perfect and nice pictures.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 02-27-2011, 08:09 PM

very nice, question though, how does it hold the Zune HD, is it tight on both sides or how is it held?

Old 02-27-2011, 08:44 PM

The connection has velcro on it so it holds on to the stand. and the player hold on to the connection.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snanime View Post
very nice, question though, how does it hold the Zune HD, is it tight on both sides or how is it held?
Its a nice fit actually, it would slid down and all the way thru but the Premium car kits stops this. But it is snug enought to keep it form ratteling around while driving or when swiping to the next song. The dock plug is mounted to the acrylic. (see pic 4) right now I am using Velcro to hold the dock cable on, but that just until I decide what im going to do with the car kit its self. the plug is large and ugly IMO.

I might pick up a breakout board and see if I can bend that all the way back and make a smaller custom plug that is more discreet and built in with the cable going back behind the dock into the dash. If I do that I also want to incorporate a gutted Zune travel kit and add some next track buttons to the backside of my searing wheel. But I have yet to open that thing up and see if its going to be possible to mix with the car kit.

Old 02-27-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Its a nice fit actually, it would slid down and all the way thru but the Premium car kits stops this. But it is snug enought to keep it form ratteling around while driving or when swiping to the next song. The dock plug is mounted to the acrylic. (see pic 4) right now I am using Velcro to hold the dock cable on, but that just until I decide what im going to do with the car kit its self. the plug is large and ugly IMO.

I might pick up a breakout board and see if I can bend that all the way back and make a smaller custom plug that is more discreet and built in with the cable going back behind the dock into the dash. If I do that I also want to incorporate a gutted Zune travel kit and add some next track buttons to the backside of my searing wheel. But I have yet to open that thing up and see if its going to be possible to mix with the car kit.
very cool and by the way cool car, jeep makes tough vehicles. i had a similar idea to do a custom zune hd case for car, i was using plexiglass, it looks very slick but glueing the pieces together is a pain, another way is get a thick plastic and use a lighter to bend it into shapes u want but its really difficult, but it's really nice to see your custom dock, makes me wanna go get my tools and make one too, once again really cooL!

Old 02-27-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snanime View Post
very cool and by the way cool car, jeep makes tough vehicles. i had a similar idea to do a custom zune hd case for car, i was using plexiglass, it looks very slick but glueing the pieces together is a pain, another way is get a thick plastic and use a lighter to bend it into shapes u want but its really difficult, but it's really nice to see your custom dock, makes me wanna go get my tools and make one too, once again really cooL!
Thanks! I used a little propane torch, much better than a lighter

Also, if you want to "glue" acrylic or plexie, the best stuff to use is called "weld-on". It dries clear, is water thin and bonds the plastic better than any glue. If you ever see little clear boxes that hold pens and stuff at office desks, and the connections are super clear, thats what they used.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:02 AM

That is the best looking car mount I have seen yet for Zune.

I havent been able to get a good mount because im still using my brown brick car kit for the orginal Zune 30 on the HD so
my Zune gets stuck in the shifter and tends to fall on the floor of the car where all my empty mtn dew cans and snow are at least once daily.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Zune is one beautiful device.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winrez View Post
That is the best looking car mount I have seen yet for Zune.

I havent been able to get a good mount because im still using my brown brick car kit for the orginal Zune 30 on the HD so
my Zune gets stuck in the shifter and tends to fall on the floor of the car where all my empty mtn dew cans and snow are at least once daily.
just make one

Old 03-03-2011, 03:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

@OP: Awesome awesome work...!

I don't even have a ZuneHD and I love your effort.

<hate you skilled people...>
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies