android
Old 03-01-2011, 06:40 PM

Default Can headphones for Clip+

• Price Range: $80ish
  • Type/Design: Closed cans...Size is not really an issue i always have a backpack. I really like the vintage style
  • Primary location of use: portable most the time. In school...bus...ect
  • Preferable SQ or Sound Signature: Balanced from lows to highs
  • Media: Radiohead, Arcade Fire, Flaming lips, Wilco...
  • Source: Mostly a sansa clip. No amp. Occasionaly my stereo or computer
Thanks

Last edited by omonoid; 03-01-2011 at 09:05 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-01-2011, 07:01 PM

I'd recommend the AKG K518.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:26 PM

A bit pricey for me what about the Grado SR60i? I know they are open. Would they be too loud for public use like at school?

What would be ideal closed headphones for my case?

Last edited by omonoid; 03-01-2011 at 08:35 PM.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Open 'phones not only leak sound out they also allow outside sound in. A completely open set like the Grados would not be a great choice for a public situation.

Do yourself a favor and go here. There's list of information that you can use to edit your first post to get targeted suggestions. Since you don't have the location field filled out in your user profile I'd add that to your post too. There's people from all over the world here.

There's dozens of headphones that fit the very general criteria you have listed now. The more info you give the more likely you are to get suggestions that fit your situation.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:05 PM

thanks for the advice. I edited my post

Old 03-01-2011, 09:45 PM
Administrator

You're in the US. Look for the HARMAN K81DJ on Amazon. Same ones that dfkt mentioned just last years model. I don't think you can get them in black at a good price anymore. All of them I've found that are a variation of that name are the same headphones, just different names and colors. Unfortunately the cheaper ones are REALLY loud colors. I guess that's why they're the cheapest.

I've seen different models of that exact same headphone on Amazon for as little as $57 and as much as $140 depending on who the seller is and what time of day it is. Amazon is strange like that.

There was another person that was looking for something with pretty much the same charateristics you are. That thread's over here. From what he got I did a little more research into older but still new models. Like the K81DJ when this years model comes out lasts years is likely to be heavily discounted.

It seems that the sub $100 phones don't get a lot of respect around here so quality recommendations may take a while. I'd check back with things you find other places and see in anyone here has an opinion. Good Luck.