android
Old 10-15-2009, 07:09 PM

Default Lyrics

I was thinking, though it's not a huge deal, but since the Zune is big on the music experience, shouldn't song lyrics also be included with all the information you get on the device with the downloaded music? I would personnally put this on the same level as all the extra stuff you see with the music (bio, pictures, albums, etc.). Maybe an idea for Dave to consider?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Zune Moderator

As explained by Dave many times lyrics requires another licensing fee. Thus raising the price of downloads for the user. I completely agree though you should at least be able to manually add them to your music and display them on the device.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:07 AM

That's actually something I love about the iPods, manual lyric adding.

Probably not too hard to implement, then again I really have no idea.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:50 AM
Zune Moderator

It probably wouldn't be terribly hard to implement, but they would get support calls from people asking about why none of their music downloads are coming with lyrics in them. Thus raising the cost of a feature a ton because of users not getting it.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruleworld View Post
It probably wouldn't be terribly hard to implement, but they would get support calls from people asking about why none of their music downloads are coming with lyrics in them. Thus raising the cost of a feature a ton because of users not getting it.
Apple has the same feature don't they?

Or do the iTunes store purchases come with lyrics? I've never purchased music from it.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:10 PM
Zune Moderator

I honestly don't know for sure, but you can at least add them later.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:57 AM

You have a web browser. For the off-time you may actually want lyrics, use that.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:11 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It doesn't matter to me how difficult it is or how stubborn the music companies are. The first player I find that automatically finds and adds lyrics to my songs will get my everlasting love and devotion. MS took a good step forward with background art. It's only eye candy though. Give me the lyrics so I can finally figure out what the artist is singing, then maybe I'll buy more songs from that artist. You'll see Karaoke singers improve all over the world too.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:49 PM

If the Zune team is gonna allow lyrics to be implemented, they are gonna make it so that the software does it for you. And even if you get the wrong lyrics for your song, there won't be a way that you can manually set them.
The Zune is supposed to be so easy, a caveman can do it!

Old 10-18-2009, 07:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiamhighx View Post
If the Zune team is gonna allow lyrics to be implemented, they are gonna make it so that the software does it for you. And even if you get the wrong lyrics for your song, there won't be a way that you can manually set them.
Too true.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Zune Moderator

Quote:
You do realize the "feature" you are making fun of can be turned off right?

Old 10-19-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruleworld View Post
You do realize the "feature" you are making fun of can be turned off right?
What "feature"? I want artist backgrounds...but I wanna be able to pick them myself if something is wrong with the default one. I don't want a crappy pixelated picture of Jimmy Page's guitar when I'm listening to Zeppelin, I want a full picture of the band on stage. This is especially crucial when my Zune HD is outputting to my TV and it looks like absolute crap.
The fact that Zune HD owners cannot pick which artist image to use as the default now playing background for an artist is truly insane.
They wanna keep this device dumbed down so hard that a chimp is able to use it. Remember when they switched to the hearts rating system? Apparently, 5 stars is too complicated for us Zune users.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:05 PM
Zune Moderator

Quote:
What "feature"? I want artist backgrounds...but I wanna be able to pick them myself if something is wrong with the default one. I don't want a crappy pixelated picture of Jimmy Page's guitar when I'm listening to Zeppelin, I want a full picture of the band on stage. This is especially crucial when my Zune HD is outputting to my TV and it looks like absolute crap.
The fact that Zune HD owners cannot pick which artist image to use as the default now playing background for an artist is truly insane.
They wanna keep this device dumbed down so hard that a chimp is able to use it. Remember when they switched to the hearts rating system? Apparently, 5 stars is too complicated for us Zune users.
The artist image is something completely unrelated. However, I completely agree, a user should be able to add their own images of a given artist.

Again unrelated to the lyrics, but the ratings had nothing to do with making things easier. It's just part of the "lets be different" mentality Zune has.

Back on topic now... The "Feature" I was speaking of was the one that replaces your tags with ones provided by Microsoft. You can turn this off, how ever it is there for a reason. Microsoft puts it there so your music will as closely match the tags in the marketplace as possible so the system flows better. Basically lets say you were listening to Superchick, but in your collection you had them tagged as Superchic[k] (a common way of typing it). The Zune software would go look for stuff by Superchick and not find anything. So really it is there for your convince, but unlike other "convince" features it can be turned off for your convince also.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:13 PM

That's what I was comparing lyrics to - the artist imagery thing. Not the metadata changing.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:44 PM
Zune Moderator

So sorry, I mis read your post. That is what you said... I will back down

Sorry,
CW

Old 04-20-2010, 08:23 AM

I know this is an old thread, but didn't want to make another thread about a topic thats already been brought up (seems to be common tho here).

Anyways what if a song note(pad) was added as a feature. Not only would that give the user the option to add lyrics manually but also other things. Guitar chords/tabs, thoughts and memories attached, etc.

Old 03-01-2011, 03:22 PM

Does the new e-reader app give us a new way to get lyrics on our devices?

Old 03-01-2011, 06:00 PM

I suppose thats possible, but itd be annoying. i dont even think that anyone has even figured out how to add books yet, and remember that youd have to convert your lyrics to the proper format, then add the files to an online repository, then download them onto your zune individually, then after all that you would have to start the app errytime you wanted to look at the lyrics