android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 02-11-2011, 02:14 PM

Default Can someone help me to choose wireless headphones?

Hello everybody

This is my first post, sorry if I'm doing something wrong. Sorry also for my errors (English is not my primary language).

I'm looking for help about choosing a wireless headset. There are some things that make it difficult for me to find one:

1) I'm not at all an expert in these things, so I have no idea what to search for
2) My budget is not huge, so my choices are very limited
3) I live in Italy, and other than having a lot higher prices compared to the rest of world, most products here are not available at all

There is another very important factor that is making this choice very difficult: I need absolutely an open type headset, because the closed one cause me a lot of troubles (I wear glasses, and every time I try a close type headset, the compression over earlobes after few minutes becomes quite painful, so I can't use the closed type at all).

I read the guidelines about asking for help, and I'll try to answer questions as clearly as possible

Price Range: I'd like to remain under €100 (about 135 U.S. dollars)

Type/Design: If I understood correctly this feature, I'd say full size.

Open Style: As I already explained, open Style is a must for me, but I could be wrong. Currently I never was able to find a closed type headset that was not compressing my earlobes and not becoming painful after few minutes, so if someone know a workaround for this problem, I'm open to suggestions

Circumaural: I'm not sure I understood exactly what is this feature, but I think that I don' mind if earpads are circular or ellipsoid.

Supra-aural: If I understood correctly, every open type is supra-aural, i.e. pads that sit on top of the ears, rather than around them. If I'm wrong, then sorry, I'm not able to answer this question

Primary location of use: I will use these headset at home.

Preferable SQ or Sound Signature: Sorry, I'm not able to answer this question, because I have no idea what it means

Media: Even if now and again I like to listen basically every music genres (from jazz to heavy metal), for the most I listen for classical music. I'd say than 90% is classical, and the remaining 10% all the remaining.

I don't know if is relevant, but often I use headphones also when watching for movies, not only for concert DVDs.

Source: I will use the headset with the computer.

I hope that I explained everything clearly, but let me know if more information are needed.

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-16-2011, 11:33 AM

Nobody can help me?

I found a couple of products, but I'd like to get feedback before to buy.

I can find Sennheiser RS 110 at €50 (about 70 US dollars) at amazon.IT

I also found Sennheiser RS 180 and Sennheiser RS 170 at amazon.UK, but other than a definitely high price, often products I find at amazon.UK are not delivered to Italy

Anybody know what are differences between the RS180 and RS170? There is a rather large price difference, so is RS 180 really worth the money?

Old 02-18-2011, 08:03 PM

That's weird... I feel like if I'm talking alone. Really nobody can help me?

btw, just in case someone is at least curious, I have an update. After some search, I found that there are at least 4 types of wireless connections:

1) Bluetooth
2) Infrared
3) RF (Radio Frequency? Sorry I have no idea... I'm still in learning mode )
4) Kleer (I have no idea what is exactly difference compared to RF)

It seems that the best technique is Kleer, and of course it is also the most expensive. I wonder how much of these insanely high prices are due to copyright Bull***t more than technological costs...

However, Kleer is also the lesser portable because the emitting base is rather big and heavy. It is good for HiFi or TV but definitely not for a portable player.

Quote:
Anybody know what are differences between the RS180 and RS170?
I'm not fully sure, but maybe I found by myself the answer. The RS180 has a feature not found in the RS170: Automatic level control.

If I understood correctly, this is a mechanism to automatically make the sound uniform, i.e. the highest volumes are lowered and lowest volumes are rise automatically, so you can have a constant volume.

Theoretically it can be useful for some movies, when a loud explosion is followed by whispers, to avoid ears to be killed... Definitely not worth for classical listening

Stay tuned... I'll post updates when (or if) I'll find more information

Old 02-19-2011, 09:29 PM

If someone is interested, I found some more details here

What impressed me most in that article is:

Quote:
...FM stereo – as still used in most full-sized wireless headphones – needs tuning before it works, is prone to background hiss and interference, and compresses the sound in the same way that commercial FM radio signals do. Even if you’re listening to a CD, the effects of the transmission technology mean that you’re not really listening to CD quality audio.
For Bluetooth the situation is pretty the same (maybe worst than RF):

Quote:
Bluetooth would seem a viable alternative, but – again – the digital stream has to be compressed to deal with A2DP’s limited bandwidth, most frequently into a Bluetooth specific format, SBC. Again, this means that while you might be putting CD quality audio into the transmitter, you won’t get CD quality audio out. What you do get is perfectly fine for the vast majority of mobile users, but if you care enough to spend £150 plus on headphones, you probably don’t want to make any compromises.
And the best part

Quote:
Kleer’s 2.4GHz technology is different. Firstly, the signal is uncompressed. The signal you put in is the signal you get out. Secondly, being digital, and thus less susceptible to interference, there’s virtually no hiss or interference. Finally, there’s no need to fiddle around with different FM bands or manual tuning. The headphones arrive synched with the transmitter, and other sets can be added simply enough should you need to later on.

Better still, when the sound does break up there’s no ear-splitting crackle or buzz; just a break in the music which creeps back in to one earpiece and then the other when you’re back in range or whatever blocked the signal is removed. Basically, it’s not just wire-free, but hassle-free, too.
I like a lot the part about "no ear-splitting crackle or buzz"... I tried some time ago an infrared headset, and when signal was too weak I indeed experienced a high pitched buzz that was very annoying

Moreover, I also found that RS 170 is closed type, whereas RS 180 is open type. Reading user feedback at amazon, I also found the reason of the high price difference between these two models: according to an users audio quality of RS 180 is a lot better than RS 170. I have no idea how much is placebo however

What I definitely don't like is price... the cheapest one I was able to find is above €150 (about 205 US dollars)... definitely a kill for my wallet

Old 02-23-2011, 01:42 AM

if quality is what youre after, stick with wired headphones.....if any of your friends or relatives have those headphones youve mentioned, try borrowing them for the weekend for trial....

Old 02-28-2011, 10:23 AM

Hi, sorry for late answer, I followed your suggestion

Too bad none of my relatives or friends have these Sennheiser headsets. But a friend allowed me to try his Philips SHC 1300.

Believe me: once you try the freedom of wireless headsets, you'll not like anymore to have cables around you

Even if very cheap (he bought these for €30), I have to say that audio quality is not really worth the money. I never tried a Sennheiser however, so I have no idea if the infrared models are better or not compared to that Philips headset.

I wonder if also infrared connection use a compressed signal like RF and Bluetooth This could explain the low quality of this headset.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:31 PM

"Believe me: once you try the freedom of wireless headsets, you'll not like anymore to have cables around you "

Unless you care about SQ. . . Wires really aren't that much of a pain, especially when you have 10 ft ones which allow you to walk around the room. . .