android
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-28-2011, 01:48 AM

Default Rockbox Database update: step by step?

Apologies in advance if this seems too obvious or elementary a question:

I frequently shuffle all my music together, and with the OF on my e280, that was always pretty simple.

With Rockbox, I'm finding it anything but.

I've got the player set to "Auto Update" the DB, but I find that when I change out music on the player or SD card, the new stuff is often not recognized. And when I say "new", that includes music I have had on there before and taken off; but when it's re-added, it's not being seen (even though it all shows up under "files").

I will then try to manually "Update" or "Initialize" the DB, and I'll be told that it's "Updating in the background," but there seems to be no indcation of progress so I can't tell when/if I should turn off the player.

After Initialization, I'll be told that it's "Committing" the DB, with a series of screens that read "[1/9]", "[2/9]", etc.-- though frequently it will freeze at "[1/9]" and I have to do a hard reboot to get it to finish the process (on occasion, I actually have to open the player and remove/reseat the battery to get it to respond). Usually that recognizes everything, but it involves a lot of trial and error to get to that point, and there should be some way to do it without the player freezing up.

And while the manual describes how the DB is supposed to function, it lacks a simple step-by-step explanation of how to load new music and have it recognized.

So... anyone care to offer a step-by-step explanation of the proper method to get the DB to update consistently?

Last edited by tbb007; 02-28-2011 at 04:10 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]