android
Old 02-16-2011, 03:54 PM

Default CX300-II vs Hippo VB(gifts)

I am in a rather perculiar position.

My brother and I have birthdays very close to each other and our parents got two pairs of headphones for us though they haven't decided whom to give which yet.

They have bought a Hippo VB and a pair of CX300-II and since my birthday came up first I got to decide who gets what. Though I enjoy music I am somewhat of a noob in regards to headphones, which is why I am asking for help ...

My brother uses one of the Zen Stones and his computer when listening to music, which comprises of(mostly) pop, some classic rock and some long technotracks when he runs.

I am listening to mostly metal(varying from heavy metal to death and acts like the ocean and Opeth) and some rock. I use both my computer and a clip+/my htc desire for music.

I would like to be fair to both him and myself and not choosing wrongly, there would be no point ending up with the 'wrong' pair.

So I was wondering if you had any advise as to who should have which pair?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-16-2011, 08:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Be selfish - pick the VBs for yourself.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 02-17-2011, 10:12 AM

This is not about being selfish and choosing the VB. I have read that diff. pairs of IEMs have different signatures and they don't sound the same so I wondered which would be the better for whose taste of music.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:19 AM

You'll only be able to tell until you guys get to test them out. Why not just pick whatever now, then when your birthdays come see which you both like. I can tell you right now the VB's are not good for running as they're kind of large and heavy.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:24 AM

That is true, but the CX300 and the VB actually have roughly the same sound signature, both emphasizing the bass. The difference is that the VB is just like a better CX300. (I am probably over simplifying that, but oh well.) Though lestatar was just joking about the being selfish part, I would probably go with the VB myself too. If your brother mostly listens to pop I would think the mid-bass hump in of the CX300 would actually be likable--I mean there is a reason that sound signature is so common: people like it for popular music. (Please correct me here if I am wrong, I am still trying to figure what sound sigs are best for what music myself.)

Old 02-17-2011, 10:28 AM

I agree with Machiventa. I've tried running using the VBs with stock tips + clip + Cowon J3 in clip and the results was bad. Not only only because my J3 ended on the ground (my own fault) but also because I had to keep "pushing" back the VBs into the ear every 10 secs.

But in any other situation such as bicycling, walking & sleeping the VBs does a great job don't doubt that. I don't have the CX300's so I cannot tell you if it does things just as well though.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

OK, fair enough. I own the CX300's not the 300 Mark IIs so take this with a grain of salt.

Prior to discovering the VBs here on ABi, I always thought the CX300s sounded just fine. Then I started looking into more brands/models and I came to the conclusion that for me, I found the CX300s to be best described as muddy. Bass prevalent, yes. But the bass seemed indistinct to me.

The VBs are a fave for many people here and elsewhere because they deliver incredible bass that is deep, sharp, fast and tight and they handle the rest of the sound spectrum pretty well to my ears.

Never heard the CX300 Mark IIs. A couple of people here have them and like them a lot, one or 2 even over the VBs. My own take is that unless the Mark IIs are significantly improved, they would be at best an incremental improvement over the originals. And in my book the VBs are far and away the superior IEM over the CX300s.

Still, this is just one guy talking and I sure ain't no expert. Yes, if possible audition both yourself and then decide.

Good luck man!
-les
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 02-18-2011, 05:22 AM

Thanks for all the replys!

I had been thinking they were very different in their signature it seems not to reading reviews on the internet. I'll be taking the VBs as my brother isn't as fussy with music quality as I am(he's still using the stock earbuds)..

I have a pair of Hippo Booms atm and I'm looking forward to trying to VBs ...
once again thanks for the help

Old 02-23-2011, 08:57 PM

hi,
nice dilema i have both these IEMs - firstly i had VBs which have great bass but i struggled with the fit - now have got some 300iis which are great for me - the bass/sound isnt 100% of the VBs but its closes enough for me - and the fit/feel of the 300s is much better for my ears - just trying out some Photek on them and lovely mmmmmm

enjoy

Old 02-26-2011, 11:23 PM

I would go for the better phones (hippo VB's) CX300's have a really big midbass hump that really impedes the clarity of the rest of the frequency range. and the cabling feels very weak

Old 02-27-2011, 05:16 AM

hi
do you mean the 300iis?

Old 02-27-2011, 08:04 AM

yes, I meant the CX300ii's, sorry for the confusion