android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Old 02-21-2011, 08:15 AM

Default How do I sync the same library from my Zune to a thumb drive?

This may not be the proper forum for this but here goes anyway.

I have a Kenwood head unit in my car that allows USB input as well as line input (AUX) from MP3 players. My Zune HD 16 will only play through the AUX input and I understand why it won't work through USB (also from my understanding, not very many decks out there support Zune through USB). So I also use the USB input with a thumb drive and obviously the sound is much better.

My question is, how can I sync the same music that's being synced to my Zune HD to my thumb drive without having to do it manually? Is it even possible? I have a massive MP3 collection, and sifting through it to narrow it down to under 16GB (thumb drive is 16GB as well) can be quite tedious. I'd also like to keep the same music on both devices for various reasons, i.e. when I don't have my Zune with me or don't have the flash drive with me.

Seems like there should be an easy way to do that. I know that the Zune software integrates Windows 7 libraries but is it possible to export the Zune software's sync groups to Windows Media player for example?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-21-2011, 08:46 AM

You'd have to move all the music you want to a subfolder or other library, associate that folder with your Zune collection again, and then use a program like Microsoft's Sync Toy to automatically sync that folder to your flash drive every time you plug it in. But that's basically as tedious as doing it manually.

Essentially, what you want to do was never really intended. You'll have to move the files yourself. But a tool like Sync Toy could help if you want to set up some automatic sync folders to your USB. The Zune software won't help you much, and your sync groups don't mean anything outside of Zune.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I haven't heard or seen any methods for this. Maybe, if you have the means to do this, you could backward sync the music on your Zune to a different computer, where you have set up the libraries to be put in an empty folder. Then use WMP to sync that folder to your flash drive. Only thing I can think of, and I realize that most people don't have multiple computers or the time to sync 16 GB of music twice.

Much luck,

Old 02-21-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
I haven't heard or seen any methods for this. Maybe, if you have the means to do this, you could backward sync the music on your Zune to a different computer, where you have set up the libraries to be put in an empty folder. Then use WMP to sync that folder to your flash drive. Only thing I can think of, and I realize that most people don't have multiple computers or the time to sync 16 GB of music twice.

Much luck,
You're a flippin' genius!! Thank you. What I did was use another profile in Windows 7, told my Zune that my library is on my thumbdrive, and then after hooking my Zune HD up I selected all of the music that was on my device and chose "Copy to my collection". It didn't sync the stuff obviously but it is adding the all the music files to the thumbdrive without me having to go through any of it, which was the result I wanted. Now if I add more music to either the Zune or the thumbdrive it will be in smaller batches and won't be so tedious.

Thanks again!

Old 02-21-2011, 02:03 PM

Nice, that is a good solution.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Glad I could help.