android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Microsoft Zune > Zune HD

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 02-14-2011, 03:20 AM
Meng Bomin's Avatar
Meng Bomin Meng Bomin is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 66
Default

Just to add fuel to the round of speculation, the Australian Microsoft-focused blogger Long Zheng has taken notice of some strange quirks in recent Nokia mock-up photos of Nokia WP7 phones. Here's the most recent post:
http://www.istartedsomething.com/201...ndows-phone-7/

The relevant rumor comes from a commenter "Juan Camargo V.":
Quote:
I heard Microsoft was going to unveil a new chassis soon. With the new trend being moving towards qHD (960540) to somewhat match the iPhone 4, I think that is the new chassis; since it has a 16:9 aspect ratio, maybe that is what Nokia is planning on using.
Imagine a 960540 screen resolution WP7-running Zune HD successor.
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #22  
Old 02-14-2011, 04:41 PM
winrez's Avatar
winrez winrez is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
I'm getting really angry at myself because I can't find the article that I read that said ZuneHDs can't support XNA 4.0 via firmware update. I might be remembering wrong, though...

I agree 100% with the second part though. Particularly the notepad. That would be the feature to me with the best applicability to ease of production ratio possible.



steinburger1109 I think your thinking about either gizmondo article from Windows Phone or the one at softpedia that talked about XNA 4.0 not being on the Zune HD. It was tricky worded though like 2 quotes that were not the definitive which lead to mainstream thinking that it would never come (which could possibly be the case) and that Microsoft gave up on the Zune HD in favor for Windows Phone 7

what some people think though, is that the articles meant (or hoping lol )that the Zune HD with the firmware at the time of the article (and still the current) would not support XNA above 3.1

either of these 2 reasons could very well be true but im pretty sure it was one of these two articles that caused alot of confusion when they came out that is still in effect

1. because of the way they were worded
2. because Microsoft never clarified statements

Oh well I am loving the Zune HD and will get a Win Phone 7 when they hit Sprint or a just keep using my ZHD
Reply With Quote

  #23  
Old 02-14-2011, 06:13 PM
steinburger1109's Avatar
steinburger1109 steinburger1109 is offline
Ultra Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Naperville, Illinois
Posts: 2,456
Default

Yea, might have been the Gizmodo one. I've never been to softpedia. Anyway, I don't know haha. And don't get the wrong idea, I love my ZHD, too.
__________________
- Justin
Glossary for Newbies Everybody
Babble. On.
Reply With Quote

  #24  
Old 02-14-2011, 07:13 PM
DaveMac-MS DaveMac-MS is offline
Buddy
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 1,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthsound1 View Post
I don't think Microsoft thought that through when they were making the HD. They should've put similar specs from windows phone to the zune and then have everything running one os. i think that would be smarter and would've saved money in development costs.
Actually, we thought it through very carefully. I've explained this in some detail on ABi - you can search through past posts for the full explanation. In a nutshell - while we would have loved to have Zune hardware and WP7 hardware on the same platform, WP7 was released over a year after Zune HD - so we either had to go a year without having fresh Zune hardware in the marketplace (a crucial year when our prior generation hardware didn't compete well with touch based products like the iPod Touch) OR press ahead with a "media-first" device and then bring Zune functionality to all WP7 phones in that subsequent timeframe.

So this wasn't about being "smart" or not, or saving "development costs" or not. I stand by the decision we made while absolutely agreeing that a Zune HD running WP7 would have been awesome - although would have required WP7 to have been finished a year prior to when it was, so not something that was achievable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winrez View Post
2. because Microsoft never clarified statements
I thought I clarified it pretty well. Zune HD will not run XNA v4.0 nor will it support apps built in XNA v4.0 or Silverlight for WP7. WP7 and Zune's OS are two different systems - however, there is very little you can do in XNA v4.0 that you can't do in XNA v3.1 + our extensions.

Cheers, Dave.
__________________
Please don't PM me - instead send an email!
Follow me on Twitter (@DaveMacMS)!
If you're a member of the Zune Social - friend me (AussieDaveMS)!
Reply With Quote

  #25  
Old 02-15-2011, 08:32 AM
winrez's Avatar
winrez winrez is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post


I thought I clarified it pretty well. Zune HD will not run XNA v4.0 nor will it support apps built in XNA v4.0 or Silverlight for WP7. WP7 and Zune's OS are two different systems - however, there is very little you can do in XNA v4.0 that you can't do in XNA v3.1 + our extensions.

Cheers, Dave.

Dave, that clears it up completely thanks
Reply With Quote

  #26  
Old 02-15-2011, 02:40 PM
wthsound1 wthsound1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hollywood, FL
Posts: 76
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMac-MS View Post
Actually, we thought it through very carefully. I've explained this in some detail on ABi - you can search through past posts for the full explanation. In a nutshell - while we would have loved to have Zune hardware and WP7 hardware on the same platform, WP7 was released over a year after Zune HD - so we either had to go a year without having fresh Zune hardware in the marketplace (a crucial year when our prior generation hardware didn't compete well with touch based products like the iPod Touch) OR press ahead with a "media-first" device and then bring Zune functionality to all WP7 phones in that subsequent timeframe.

So this wasn't about being "smart" or not, or saving "development costs" or not. I stand by the decision we made while absolutely agreeing that a Zune HD running WP7 would have been awesome - although would have required WP7 to have been finished a year prior to when it was, so not something that was achievable.



Cheers, Dave.
Ah I see now. I'm just curious. Why didn't you guys give the Zune HD most of the Windows Phone specs and then released it with the current Zune operating system with maybe some differences and then have a Windows Phone 7 upgrade afterwards. At the same time you guys could've made the ultimate media player. Destroying the iPod Touch in every way and shape possible. I would've loved that but of course we can't get everything, right?Like how we can't get in on the fun with having 8000 apps to have our eyes glaze over but it's ok.
Reply With Quote

  #27  
Old 02-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Flyordie Flyordie is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 127
Default

Now you know why I have never given up on Zune. I still got my launch ZuneHD.
(albeit with a brand new daughterboard as the Wolfson Micro sound chip failed in it 8 days out of warranty, long story, and MS lost points from me on that one)

It does what I need it to do, play music and podcasts.

So, I can see now how they wanted their product line to go. It works for them, and it will get us Zune users a better product in the long run.

(*long story- One day, at work the sound kept getting more and more "static filled". I rebooted the device and for 10-15m it solved the problem, then the sound just flat out stopped.... tried a different pair of buds, nothing. Then I noticed that it had paused the music so I pressed play and reinserted the plug and nothing again. Pull it out and the music pauses. So I know the jack is working. Finally called MS Support and they basicly hung up on me after I told them it was 8 days out of Warranty. I called my friend in Taiwan and he gave me the number to the sound chip manufacturer "Wolfson" and they offered to repair it for (what it came out to me- $91 total, shipped to and from). Best part is, its still the original chassis and everything. Just a different "daughterboard". Still has my screen protector on it and everything. This kinda makes me wonder though, did they want the chipset to see what failed in it or something? /end long story)

Last edited by Flyordie; 02-18-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #28  
Old 02-18-2011, 08:53 PM
DaveMac-MS DaveMac-MS is offline
Buddy
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kirkland, WA
Posts: 1,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthsound1 View Post
Ah I see now. I'm just curious. Why didn't you guys give the Zune HD most of the Windows Phone specs and then released it with the current Zune operating system with maybe some differences and then have a Windows Phone 7 upgrade afterwards.
Two reasons - 1) the Windows Phone 7 specs weren't figured out back in 2008, so we had no way of knowing what would become the chassis specs for2010/2011 devices, and 2) even if we had known what the specs were, many of the components either didn't exist or would have been priced at a point that would have made our RRP crazy expensive.

Cheers, Dave.
__________________
Please don't PM me - instead send an email!
Follow me on Twitter (@DaveMacMS)!
If you're a member of the Zune Social - friend me (AussieDaveMS)!
Reply With Quote

  #29  
Old 02-18-2011, 11:05 PM
wthsound1 wthsound1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hollywood, FL
Posts: 76
Talking

Ah well, ok. Snapdragon didn't exist untill 2009 so I can see that.
I hope that if there is a next Zune device(I highly doubt it though) and if there is one it would come with a NVIDIA Tegra 2, have 256 MB RAM, same storage options, same size AMOLED screen with a qHD resolution(960x540), 3 MP camera with 720p video rec and front facing camera with Windows Live Messenger camera plugin and separate video chat app. All just a dream though. I don't think MS would do that though.

Imagine the look of those ipod guys if we had the above specs.
Reply With Quote

  #30  
Old 02-18-2011, 11:51 PM
saxmaster765's Avatar
saxmaster765 saxmaster765 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wthsound1 View Post
Ah well, ok. Snapdragon didn't exist untill 2009 so I can see that.
I hope that if there is a next Zune device(I highly doubt it though) and if there is one it would come with a NVIDIA Tegra 2, have 256 MB RAM, same storage options, same size AMOLED screen with a qHD resolution(960x540), 3 MP camera with 720p video rec and front facing camera with Windows Live Messenger camera plugin and separate video chat app. All just a dream though. I don't think MS would do that though.

Imagine the look of those ipod guys if we had the above specs.
My, my. What a fantasy you have . . . Oh, if only. I wish someone would do it.
__________________
The Saxmaster
"To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity."
-Douglas Adams
Reply With Quote

  #31  
Old 02-19-2011, 04:23 PM
wthsound1 wthsound1 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hollywood, FL
Posts: 76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxmaster765 View Post
My, my. What a fantasy you have . . . Oh, if only. I wish someone would do it.
Yeah I believe a handful of people would wish they had specs like these. I'm looking at you Dave. I'm giving you 1 year to develop. Let's begin.....NOW! Hehe
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 AM.