android
Old 02-18-2011, 05:58 AM

Lightbulb Basic Questions from a Newbie Zune User

I'm thinking about getting a Zune HD in the next week.

So here are some questions that have probably already been answered, but it's 5am and I don't feel like searching lol

1. Does using the wi-fi/internet cost something? Sorry never had a entertainment device that connected to the internet; I don't even own a 'smart phone', so sorry if it's a dumb question but I'm new at this

2. Do the apps cost something? I heard something about a trial? Or are some free and some require a later fee?

3. Does this come with games on it? Or do you have to download those separately? And do they cost?

4. About the features. Does it come with anything else handy? (And Free ) Like is there anything that is really cool / convenient that I must download?

5. Can you read text files on here?

6. Lastly, is the Zune Pass strictly a music subscription (to browse the marketplace etc..) or do you need it for other stuff too?

I'm thinking selling my old mp3 player and getting this one but if I gotta pay extra for stuff and all that I won't bother. I am a broke college student lol

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-18-2011, 06:47 AM

Hello there, CottonCandy!

In answer to your questions:

1. Usually 3G connections are the only ones that cost extra, but the Zune HD has Wifi - so if you have access to a wireless network, you won't have to pay anything to use it.
2. All the apps are free. None of them have trial versions/paid components
3. It doesn't come with any, but games are included with apps, and, as such, are also free.
4. If you get really keen, you can use OpenZDK to put other unofficial apps on it - look around these forums for info on that.
5. It can read text files on the internet, but you can't actually put them on the device itself.
6. I'm not 100% sure about this one, but I'm pretty sure that it can be used for videos etc. as well. NOTE: you don't have to have a Zune Pass to use/browse the marketplace, but if you have one you can stream unlimited music from the marketplace.

All in all, I love my Zune

Hope this helps!
x1n30

Old 02-18-2011, 06:48 AM
Windows Phone Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CottonCandy86 View Post
I'm thinking about getting a Zune HD in the next week.

So here are some questions that have probably already been answered, but it's 5am and I don't feel like searching lol

1. Does using the wi-fi/internet cost something? Sorry never had a entertainment device that connected to the internet; I don't even own a 'smart phone', so sorry if it's a dumb question but I'm new at this

ZuneHD only connects to wifi networks - so if the wifi is free (at McDonalds etc) then it costs you nothing. If used at home, then it just access the existing home wifi once registered on your home network. Data usage would then fall under your home broadband carrier account terms

2. Do the apps cost something? I heard something about a trial? Or are some free and some require a later fee?

All ZuneHD apps are free (bonus - thanks MS!). If you have a Windows Phone 7 mobile handset, then the apps for that marketplace are either free or paid (about 1/3 free). The WP7 marketplace is separate to the ZuneHD market.

3. Does this come with games on it? Or do you have to download those separately? And do they cost?

See above - can't recall what apps it came out of the box with -but they are free to download once you have the Zune PC software and register with a Windows Live account.

4. About the features. Does it come with anything else handy? (And Free ) Like is there anything that is really cool / convenient that I must download?

Download the free apps and games - and then get a Zune Pass so you can get unlimited access subscription music downloads for a monthly fee with +10 monthly owned songs - if you are in the US!

5. Can you read text files on here?

Not that I can recall seeing

6. Lastly, is the Zune Pass strictly a music subscription (to browse the marketplace etc..) or do you need it for other stuff too?

It offers you the music subscription - movie/tv rentals cost extra per hire or digital download purchase. Use MS Points to buy

I'm thinking selling my old mp3 player and getting this one but if I gotta pay extra for stuff and all that I won't bother. I am a broke college student lol

Thanks!
It is a GREAT PMP - and add Zune Pass = awesome. Just remember - it cannot access the 3G/mobile handset wireless - it needs wifi.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:48 AM
Windows Phone Moderator

beat me to it

Old 02-18-2011, 06:52 AM

1. Usually, no. Every coffee shop will have free wifi, but Hotels usually charge for it.

2. No. They're all free and will all be free.

3. No. You have to download them from the on-device app store. And no, they're free.

4. Well, you've got stopwatch, alarm, calculator, MSN, Facebook, Twitter... Everything but an email app They're all in the app store.

5. There are some third-party apps which you can download which can. Go onto ZHDapps.com and you'll find it in there as well as instructions for downloading it. Don't worry though, it's not too complicated.

6. It's just a music subscription pass. Without it, you can still access the content on Marketplace, but you can either pay or only listen to a 30-second preview (which is a great way to discover new music).

I basically only use my ZuneHD32 for music and video (not apps as much...) and I have to say, it's the best media player on the market. I would definitively go for one if Media's your thing.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider_Aus View Post
beat me to it
Ah, but your reply was more comprehensive and better formatted

Old 02-18-2011, 07:17 PM

Thanks everybody! This was super helpful! I appreciate it! You guys are great!

Old 02-18-2011, 07:22 PM
Windows Phone Moderator

no probs Happy to help.

Have fun with your new ZunehD

Quote:
Originally Posted by x1n30 View Post
Ah, but your reply was more comprehensive and better formatted
Not sure about that but tnx all the same

Old 02-18-2011, 08:01 PM

Hope you enjoy your ZHD

Tags
basic, new user