android
Old 02-16-2011, 02:02 PM

Default RE0 vs. Hippo VB!? (Use for Cowon J3) (NZ!)

After purchasing my Cowon J3 and enjoying the control over the EQ, I find I'm having to push the Bass up to 8 and have a fair bit of tweaking over the high-mids to stop my dinky little Sony MDR-EX71's sounding too thin or harsh (I assume these are bad headphones, right?).

I had my heart set on a set of Hifiman RE0's after hearing all the good things about them, but after reading up on them some more I'm not so sure. I've heard the bass is lacking in them, even though they have great mid range and highs, so I've got two options as far as I can see.

Get the RE0's and rely on the tweaking provided by the J3 to handle my bass needs (anyone with a J3 + RE0, I need your input! how much do you need to tweak to accommodate the 'phones?), or let you lovely knowledgeable chaps handle an alternative recommendation.

My budget is preferably under 100, or that of the price range of the RE0.

I was looking at the Hippo VB, but I just cannot seem to get them at all in the UK.

Along the same note, I've left this a little late since I'm flying to New Zealand next week and shall be staying there for a long while. Does anyone have any tips for either shipping to NZ or any good outlets/internet sites over there?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I've boiled it down to either the RE0's or the VB's.

Last edited by HowardRoark; 02-16-2011 at 02:52 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-16-2011, 02:10 PM

I have not heard the RE0, but based on what I have read you are probably going to crave more bass than it provides. The Hippo VB (which I never heard either) however sounds like it would be more up your alley. Not sure about where or how you go about getting one in the UK but I am pretty sure it can/has been done. Maybe someone else will comment on that.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

no idea on the NZ aspect but some models to look at...

VB - have them, love them. deep sub bass, dont do anything really wrong.

Fischer Audio Eterna - have them, love them more. more of a midbass hump. nice with lots of music types.

Sunrise Xscape - dont have them, really want them. Supposed to be like the RE0 but with more bass/warmth.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:45 PM

I've just emailed jaben.com about the possibility of shipping Hippo VB's to NZ, so that'l probably clinch it for me if they do.

They have 3 different notches for adjusting the bass? Tell me more!

Edit: The VB's (providing jaben does ship to NZ) will only cost me 50, whereas I've just had an email back about the RE0's saying that if I order tonight, for 73, he'll add next day delivery for no extra cost.

What do I do?!

Last edited by HowardRoark; 02-16-2011 at 02:54 PM.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:20 PM

Well, after torturing myself all night I decided I would skip the RE-ZERO's and wait for some Hippo VB's (if they ship to NZ).

I guess it was due to the expensiveness of the Zero's and the fact that high/harsh treble really grates on me. Being a guitarist, I think I know enough about sound to curve the treble on the VB's to get it how I want it to compensate for the awesome bass, rather than being unable to boost the bass enough on the Zero's.

Let's hope I made the right choice!

Old 02-16-2011, 08:08 PM

I'm guessing you made the right choice for yourself. The ex71's are actually rather notorious for having somewhat boomy (though also unrefined) bass, so the fact you need to turn up the bass so much suggests that you're really a basshead at heart. From what I've heard, the VB's have a much more impactful bass than the RE0's, so you'll probably end up a lot more satisfied with the VB's.

Hope it works out for you!

Old 02-16-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaigoda View Post
I'm guessing you made the right choice for yourself. The ex71's are actually rather notorious for having somewhat boomy (though also unrefined) bass, so the fact you need to turn up the bass so much suggests that you're really a basshead at heart. From what I've heard, the VB's have a much more impactful bass than the RE0's, so you'll probably end up a lot more satisfied with the VB's.

Hope it works out for you!
Basshead... as much as I love the other frequencies, I do think you're right.

Can't wait now.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:29 PM

You made the right choice! I'd rather have IEMs with some excesses which can be fixed than IEMs with weaknesses. It's much easier to tame to hot treble of VB with a foam mod than it is to boost the bass of RE0. Besides RE0 rolls off a bit early leaving a mid-bass hump than quality bass. RE-ZERO is much better in that regard. It fills up the bass note, though it has a similar bass quantity to RE0. VB has a clean sounding sub-bass with not too much of a mid-bass quantity. That makes it a bit more 'pleasant' to listen to than most other IEMs for me.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:20 AM

Heart break! The Hippo VB's are out of stock... Jaben offered me a set of grooves, but I turned them down since the 3 week wait would be too much. =(

Old 02-17-2011, 08:47 AM

Have you tried uncle Wilsons? They have options to ship to virtually every country though the shipping might be a bit spicy. There is no indication of them being out of stock in the description

Old 02-17-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparthia View Post
Have you tried uncle Wilsons? They have options to ship to virtually every country though the shipping might be a bit spicy. There is no indication of them being out of stock in the description
I emailed them earlier on and haven't got a reply. $20 shipping!

Jaben's kindly offered to send me the grooves free of charge until the VBs come into stock and then they'd send them, with free shipping!

I think I'll just wait for Jaben's to restock. The exceptional customer service has kind of made me feel all fuzzy.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:10 AM

I am not certain but it seems the Wilson guy is active in both sites.
I ordered a boom from Jaben winter 2009 and I had some complications getting the order I talked with one of the employees and he sent me another pair(when the first didn't show up after estimated time of arrival) using a tracked delivery.. Jaben has excellent customer support.