android
Old 02-11-2011, 05:47 PM

Default How to hide file extensions? + 32GB battery life?

Well I'm eagerly anticipating the arrival of my new 32gb J3 and I can't stop looking up things and researching it on the net until I have it in my hands. One thing that bothers me is that it shows the file extension (.mp3, .flac etc.) in the 'now playing' bar at the bottom. Is there any way to remove this? It'll piss me off like crazy.

Also, I've been hearing some contradicting reports on the 32gb device having a considerably lower battery life. I don't like to believe the hype and get paranoid, but before I get the J3, it's all I can do. How does your 32gb battery fare?

Last edited by HowardRoark; 02-11-2011 at 06:32 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-12-2011, 01:20 PM

My 32GB has a disappointing battery life. My Sony A729 which is two years old lasts longer...
I was surprised. I expected a full week of use (about 6 hours a day) but it's far from the advertised battery life.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:25 PM

=/

Old 02-12-2011, 01:36 PM

I just finished a battery life test last night on my 32GB J3+ 16 GB card. With the volume on 5 (the level I listen at when there is background noise), custom equalizer, shuffle and with song qualities of 256 kbps, 320 kbps, and VBR w/ quality equal to 320 kbps, it was still going after 50 hours, when I turned it off because I was satisfied. However, my 32GB is white and from export prive, meaning that it is a little different from the ones you get from Amazon; that said, the parts should be the same. And yes, you can turn off the file extensions, at least in Klaus' browser. I didn't use the standard music browser and player for more than an hour, so I can't comment on those.

Old 02-12-2011, 02:16 PM

Nothing's wrong with the 32 GB version, i tell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
My 32GB has a disappointing battery life. My Sony A729 which is two years old lasts longer...
I was surprised. I expected a full week of use (about 6 hours a day) but it's far from the advertised battery life.
how long have you been using the J3, how often have you charged the device?

the li-po battery wasn't charged before, it needs a few charging cycle to reach the full capacity. if your battery doesn't last more than 50 hours (with mp3!!! files) than your battery is defective.

you need to learn that lithium based batteries aren't as simple as nickel based cell batteries, or the like.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 02-13-2011, 11:09 AM

I've had my J3 for about a month and I still need to re-charge it twice a week. Could it be that it's still not long enough for the battery to work at its most efficient then?

Old 02-13-2011, 11:12 AM

Hmmmm.... fingers crossed!

Old 02-13-2011, 11:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoark View Post
One thing that bothers me is that it shows the file extension (.mp3, .flac etc.) in the 'now playing' bar at the bottom.
I'm not sure what you mean. Which "now playing" bar? As long as your files are tagged properly, you see the tags in the music screen, not the file names.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I've had my J3 for about a month and I still need to re-charge it twice a week. Could it be that it's still not long enough for the battery to work at its most efficient then?
what kind of media files are you using? flac for example will most likely consume more power. how often are you using it?

there's nothing wrong with the 32 GB version and the only thing that is different, is the flash memory chip(s?) which has a higher capacity, kinda logical.

the battery should unfold its full potential after the first 2-3, maybe 1 or 2 more charges... if capacity is still low, the battery might be defective.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps

Old 02-13-2011, 01:51 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

As for the file extension being visible, I can almost guarantee that the music is being played via folder view. Even when using the music function, it is also possible to navigate to folder view, hence, the viewing of file extensions. As long as the music is properly tagged and you are not going outside the music folder, there will be no extensions to view.

What I am asking to myself, however, is what's the big deal in the first place?

Old 02-13-2011, 02:26 PM

O.C.D.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadohiosky View Post
what kind of media files are you using? flac for example will most likely consume more power. how often are you using it?

there's nothing wrong with the 32 GB version and the only thing that is different, is the flash memory chip(s?) which has a higher capacity, kinda logical.

the battery should unfold its full potential after the first 2-3, maybe 1 or 2 more charges... if capacity is still low, the battery might be defective.
I only (read: ONLY, no exceptions) use MP3s. No lossless. I know what I'm doing (roughly) and I noticed already the battery as lasting me less than my old Sony (2 years old), while using them the same amount.
I use it about 4 hours every day, around that much.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:32 AM

You're recharging it twice a week... that means it would not even hold a charge for like 15 hours.

your battery seems defective to me.