android
Old 01-26-2011, 08:38 PM

Default Need new reasonably cheap headphones

My sansa clip + stock headphones have developed a short in the cord near the plug so I am looking for a replacement under 20$ with decent sound quality. I like the style of earbud that come with sansa NOT IEMs that isolate sound since I will be wearing this while doing other things that need my attention. I am just looking for suggestions?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-26-2011, 08:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Get a cheap pair of Philips or Sony "behind-the-neck" headphones and enjoy,..they cost almost nothing, but they sound fantastic for the price.

Old 01-26-2011, 09:02 PM

think these ll be alright?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Philips-Co...s-Red/12546087

I saw them at the local walmart but they are out now. ALso I don't like L shaped plugs I like l shaped if you get what I'm saying as the L shaped ones break easier I find and my ipod would be using these headphones as well which has a case on it which blocks the headphone with L plug from going in all the way for some reason

Old 01-26-2011, 09:21 PM

If you're looking for ear buds i have had a pair of these for over 3 years now and they are still great, they respond well to EQ and have some great bass and have a nice open sound stage. These are my go to when i don't want isolation and don't feel like wearing cans. You can't even feel these when they are in, they are REALLY comfortable.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Mdr-Ed12L.../ref=pd_cp_e_3
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 01-28-2011, 04:13 AM

I'd recommend the Sony earclips for the following reasons:

- They sound great and don't enhance the bass like other larger headphones do. The bass is there, it's just not overwhelming or greatly enhanced.

- Fairly durable. I've used a pair for more than a year without any problem.

- I've found them comfortable to wear for long periods of time, something I've not found with other type of headphones. Plus, once you put them on they stay firmly in place.

- Come with a long cord, more than 40 inches/100cm. I also like that its a y-cord rather than a j-cord.

- Cost around $20 (US).

Although I have many different types of headphones, including some high-quality ones that came with my Sony players, these are the only ones that I make regular use of. For the price, they are worth a try.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 01-28-2011, 08:37 AM

^^ as embarrassing as it is to admit I never really could figure out how to put that type of headphone on properly

Old 01-28-2011, 09:26 AM

Click the link for the SHE4500s in my sig. Great sound and I can wear them for hours. I fall asleep with them in bed and wake up hours later and they are still in my ears. Absolute comfort.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I meant something like these: Philips Behind-The-Neck Headphones

I also own these (and the SQ is damn good!!!): Philips SHS8200/37 Compact Foldable Behind-The-Head Headphone

Old 01-28-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by priell3 View Post
Click the link for the SHE4500s in my sig. Great sound and I can wear them for hours. I fall asleep with them in bed and wake up hours later and they are still in my ears. Absolute comfort.
That is exactly what I am looking for! How do they sound. The behind the neck headphones just aren't for me since I used to own that style and they really don't work for me since I weaar glasses and they won't stay on and comfortable when I move around. Eventually I got blisters behind my ears

Old 01-28-2011, 10:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If I had actually know about the glasses I wouldn't have recommended the behind-the-neck style HP. And the Philips ear buds look good to me, especially those SHE4500's - check them out and see,...same as the Sony Mdr-Ed12Lp Adub recommended - those are excellent for the price (I had those before,...the Sony's that is).

Old 01-29-2011, 09:43 AM

I'm going to look into the philips SHE4500 or something along that line. Someone told me I can't remember where but they said those sony's felt like shoving a dime in your ear/ How do you think they feel? I need a little bit more input.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The Sony's are very comfortable, and the added silicon just directs the sound into the ear better - the same as with the Philips your considering. The Sony's have a bit more bass to 'em tho,...I'm more into having a little "BOOM" in my listening.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:54 PM

Yeah I need bass. Do the sonys have a J shaped plug or an l? I need to know because my sansa and my ipod share the same headphones but the ipod has a case on it that blocks the J shaped plug headphones from going in all the way.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:08 PM

The SHE4500s sound great through the entire range of sound.
Did I mention how comfortable they were? They stay put when I go to the gym also.

The SHE4500s have the I shaped plug.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:24 PM

would these that I suggested earlier sound close to the SHE4500s you suggested http://www.walmart.com/ip/Philips-Co...s-Red/12546087 because I can go and get these from my local walmart vs ordering online

Ps I just realized I have all 3 of the mp3 players that u have in ur sig but only the clip+ is in working order.
Actually it went e250 till the screen cracked then fuze v1 until the controls went weird and now the clip + which is the best sounding out of the 3 IMO. THe stock earbuds sounded pretty decent until they broke on my last week

Old 01-30-2011, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee View Post
^^ as embarrassing as it is to admit I never really could figure out how to put that type of headphone on properly
It took me a few tries before I could put them on correctly. The trick is to slide the clips behind your ears first, and then set the ear buds into your ears. For added support, I often pull the cord binder up until it's near my chin.

Now, even with glasses on I'm able quickly put them on perfectly with the first try, and the cord binder holds them in the perfect position for listening regardless of what I'm doing, including jogging. It helps that the hard-plastic ear buds are good fit for my ears and don't need rubber fittings to seat them properly.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 02-01-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikee View Post
would these that I suggested earlier sound close to the SHE4500s you suggested http://www.walmart.com/ip/Philips-Co...s-Red/12546087 because I can go and get these from my local walmart vs ordering online
The specs are similar. My only concern would be comfort and durability.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:02 PM

I ended up jsut going with these. I can't find anything good with an I plug. I just won't be able to use it with my ipod touch until I get a small extension for ipod. I had a pair of these a few years ago and they lasted me until this year. They didn't even break but my friend borrowed them and decided to move away while on his trip. The only troubling thing is the box said there were ear pads included but I didn't find any in the box.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-MDR-E...hones/13904744