android
Old 02-06-2011, 05:05 PM

Default Playlist problem

Since yesterday I am the happy owner of a J3 - very happy with the design and sound, indeed. The player already came with the 2.23 firmware, is in MSC mode, but I have had no luck so far in creating a playlist. I use Media Monkey, follow the instructions so far as I am able to understand them, but the list will always appear with "no files" in [playlists] on the player - by the way, all artist folders are also found in the [playlist] category, but empty. Isn't that redundant?

I have 1) loaded tracks from MM to J3; 2) opened same tracks on the J3 node, 3) created a playlist by dragging them into the "Now Playing" and saving the list in MM; 4) exported the list to J3 by using the "Send to" function. Result: an empty playlist in the [playlist] folder. Could someone please walk me through the process, so that even I can understand it?

Thank you in advance,
Ravnefar

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-06-2011, 05:57 PM

Would you consider using Winamp? You've already got the music files on the J3.

Open Winamp, then either (a) in the Player window: File -> Play file(s) or folder... or (b) in the Playlist window: File -> add file(s) or folder, etc. Add additional files as you want, from wherever you select those files on the J3.

Just get whatever files you'd like to be in your playlist appearing in the Player/playlist window...they're going to be the same contents in both.

NOTE: you should only select music files on the "internal storage" of the J3 for use in M3U playlists. The current J3 firmware does not support referencing music files on "external storage" of the J3 for M3U playlists.

When you've got all of the files selected (from their J3 locations) and appearing in the Winamp player/playlist windows, in the playlist window select File -> save playlist. This will result in the standard Windows "save as..." dialog. Navigate to the \Playlists folder on the J3, type in whatever name you'd like to give the playlist, and push the SAVE button.

You have just created an M3U playlist that is 100% usable on the J3.

When you then click on "safely disconnect" the J3 (wait for the "you can safely remove hardware" message before pulling the USB cable from the PC) and re-boot the J3, the just added M3U playlist will be analyzed and cached. And its music references WILL be shown when you tap on that playlist in [Playlists].

Winamp absolutely produces a 100% usable M3U playlist file on the J3.

(I'm not a Media Monkey user)

Old 02-06-2011, 10:57 PM

Thank you, DSperber,

I'll let you know how it works out when I have learned Winamp!

Ravnefar

Old 02-07-2011, 08:51 AM

Ravenfar you could also try using the Aero Music UCI from Kizune. You can make the playlists on the player using Aero Go to: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60293

Once you've installed the UCI you add all the songs you want in your playlists to the favorites list. Then you go the the playlist menu which can be accessed in the Music menu. The select create playlist, and then fill playlist. This will take the songs from your favorites and make a playlist out of it. You can make as many playlists as you want.

You can find the latest version there. But if you wanna try to do it in Winamp to you can.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:16 AM

you can also use the cowon official software like the Jetaudio, to me it works very well in msc mode, dont know how it goes in mtp but as to msc i have no problems

Old 02-07-2011, 09:46 PM

After having a look at Winamp I decided after all to give it another try on Media Monkey which I like, instead of attempting with a new program I don't know. It is in fact easy and fast to make playlists in J3 with MM. Many thanks, though to DSperber, Governor and CJ666 for your suggestions. Will start a new thread, so that others might benefit.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:41 AM

hei,
i've got the same problem (and i wouldnt use winamp anymore, either - i tried for a half year).

i found this link that you might need to change the usb -mode.
i tested it .. it will create a pla playlist ..

How do I use playlists?

If you are using MTP mode just create them using whatever your favourite media player is and synch them over just as you would with regular music.
http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27718

Old 02-11-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencoffeeman View Post
hei,
i've got the same problem (and i wouldnt use winamp anymore, either - i tried for a half year).
If you were trying to work with Winamp and your J3 while in MTP mode, I can probably sympathize with your difficulties. You haven't described what your problems were over half a year of trying, but if it was based on an MTP connection to the J3 then I would expect problems.

Winamp will work perfectly if the removable device is in MSC mode.

Also, Winamp does not create PLA playlists, which are implicitly part of MTP connections architecture. It only creates M3U playlists, which are designed to work with MSC connections... although they have been reported to somehow "work" for some users even in MTP mode. My own experience proves otherwise.

In any case, Winamp and MTP mode is not a good combination. Winamp and MSC mode is the recommended approach.

Quote:
i found this link that you might need to change the usb -mode.
i tested it .. it will create a pla playlist ..

How do I use playlists?

If you are using MTP mode just create them using whatever your favourite media player is and synch them over just as you would with regular music.
http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27718
I don't know what this thread describes, because honestly I haven't read it. It deals with the S9, not the J3.

Also it is one of MANY MANY threads on playlists, of which the relevant ones for me deal with the J3... and problems regarding referencing music files on the external card vs. referencing music files on internal storage. The S9 only has internal storage, and the Cowon firmware for the J3 currently does NOT support referencing music files on the external card if you are in MSC mode and trying to use M3U playlists.

But you are correct, if you are in MTP mode and create PLA playlists somehow (but not with Winamp, I confirm) and you use Windows Explorer to create those PLA playlists, then you WILL be able to reference music files on both internal and external storage.

I experimented with Media Monkey briefly (I do not use it normally) and MTP/PLA, and discovered that it too only places music files on internal storage of the J3 and thus does not create PLA playlists that reference music on external storage of the J3.

===> The ONLY reliable method for (a) connecting in MTP, (b) copying music files to internal and external storage of the J3, and then (c) creating or maintaining PLA playlists that reference music files on both internal and external storage of the J3, is by using Windows Explorer. Period.

Note that MTP connections expose other bugs in current Cowon firmware for the J3: (1) if music files are transferred to the J3 while in MTP mode, imbedded art in tags will NOT be detected; (2) if OGG music files are transferred to the J3 while in MTP mode, their tags will simply not be analyzed at all so these tracks will not be available using the Music tag browsing method, but can only be accessed using the Browser -> [Folders] method.

Tags
cowon j3