android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon D2/D2+

Old 11-10-2010, 08:24 PM

Help Any downsides on using an SD card over internal memory?

Hello all,

I am about to invest on a good mp3 player and d2+ is probably on the top of my list. Though I still want to figure out a couple of things before I buy it and thought I'd drop a question or two here:

1) Are there any downsides on using a SD card over the internal memory? Does the player treat those two in a different way? For instance, am I going to be able to browse my music by metadata (by artist, by album, by genre, etc) regardless of the place where the actual files are stored (internal memory or SD card)?

2) Very closely related to my question above: Should I save myself $30 bucks, buy the 8GB model over the 16GB one and use a SD card?

Thank you very much in advance for your time.

Regards

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-10-2010, 09:46 PM

Uhm, I have to say that my question is clearly answered in the review of d2+ in this site.. I can browse anything by metadata no matter where it is stored, whereas if I browse by file/folder I will have to go back to the root folder and then access the sd card..

Also I decided that I should go for the 16 GB model; I would spend some money to buy the sd card anyway, so I'd rather spend 30 bucks to increase the internal capacity.

I guess my questions are answered, but please let me know if you think there are any issues related to sd cards.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:22 AM

One downside I could think of: playing music stored in SD card drains the battery faster than playing music stored in internal memory.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by komedol View Post
One downside I could think of: playing music stored in SD card drains the battery faster than playing music stored in internal memory.
Given the battery life of the D2 is so good, who cares?

Old 11-11-2010, 08:01 AM

That's good to know, thanks! Indeed the power life seems
to be insane, so it compensates..

Old 11-14-2010, 02:13 AM

I have only a 2GB D2 and its internal memory is almost always empty, except when I record (you cannot choose SDHC as recording destination). All my media files are on SDHC. This is because sometimes it hangs when I add media. I almost always format internal memory & reload the firmware & it always works again. You can buy a AA battery-powered emergency charger. I use this with all my PMPs.

Old 02-11-2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightstrap View Post
i would not use the emergency charger unless it REALLY is an EMERGENCY.
Those chargers powers up the device using a higher voltage than it should and that will burn off the powercells in the battery one by one for certain.
I know there are better new chargers. But they are EMERGENCY chargers..
I mean, all the major brands would sell these if they are good for the products..

However, battery costs today are not high so maybe who cares.. After one year you still buy a new phone. But keep it in mind!
Any idea whether these are safe or not? :

http://orders.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.d...d=320654169538

Tags
card, cowon, d2, downsides, sd