android
Old 12-26-2010, 12:11 AM

Default J3 freezes while turning on

I recently put a bunch of music and album art on my J3 via mediamonkey, but when I went to turn it on it would start checking the album art and just freeze. Now this isn't my problem. I tried to delete everything off of the J3 after experiencing that problem, and I completely screwed it up. Now whenever I try to turn it on it starts to load and just freezes. It even does this if I try connecting it to the computer.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-26-2010, 03:17 AM

try to reset it- and make sure you hold the reset button for 20+ seconds.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:50 AM

did you connect it to a Mac OSX?
If you did... you might have to kiss it goodbye.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:11 PM

That happened to me when I connected it to my mac, but i held the reset button for 20 seconds, and VOILA! alive and kickin' those iButts.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:06 PM

Yeah, I reset it but it still suffered the same problem. I let it sit for like an hour or two just perpetually loading and it eventually just unfroze itself, now it works just fine

One more, possibly stupid, question. Would setting the EQ on the J3 too high do any damage to headphones?

Old 12-28-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnitsukaTiger View Post
did you connect it to a Mac OSX?
If you did... you might have to kiss it goodbye.
So the J3 won't work with Macs?

Old 12-29-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet Devil View Post
Yeah, I reset it but it still suffered the same problem. I let it sit for like an hour or two just perpetually loading and it eventually just unfroze itself, now it works just fine
If this does happen again, rather than just deleting the files, because there's a hidden data cache, reformatting the player first usually fixes these problems in my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet Devil View Post
One more, possibly stupid, question. Would setting the EQ on the J3 too high do any damage to headphones?
I'd be inclined to say no because the J3's don't play very loudly through most headphones I've tried (without an amp). But the proper answer is that it depends on the headphones. Most people would stop raising the volume / EQ once it starts to distort anyway. You should raise the levels incrementally anyway, and I always do it at max master volume as a reference (since I am not interested in playing things louder than the SQ will allow).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bascom View Post
So the J3 won't work with Macs?
Just figured this out and thought I'd register to post what I did. Maybe it'll help.
The J3 should work fine with Macs but not out of the box.

You'll need to do 2 things:

1. (This one is a mild inconvenience)
Reformat the J3's internal memory using a good formatter like the sdcard.org's "SD Formatter" or Pannasonic's and drop the J3 firmware back on (you can search on how to upgrade the J3's firmware).

2. (This one is a lot more troublesome)

A) Run software such as BlueHarvest which will prevent OSX from filling the J3 with its crap (all the hidden files and other useless abominations). The J3 will quickly commit suicide at a mere sniff of these droppings, and you will have to re-format it (and re-image) to bring it back to life.

B) The other option which I lean more towards is to just use Windows in Bootcamp. That way you get MediaMonkey as well. Linux also works perfectly with the J3 (better integration than windows actually, minus MediaMonkey).

I went the BlueHarvest route since you can just drag the drive onto it and it will make sure it is clean, plus it's only $17.
But a free option is to write a shell or bash script (a simple find . -type f -name "._*" -name ".DS_Store" -exec rm -f {} \; ......DON'T RUN THAT, it's just an example). You'd also need to remove all the spotlight folders and other crap OSX decides to throw onto the drive all the bloomin' time. BlueHarvest does this for you, and you can set it to automatically remove them as OSX decides to spawn them.

Last edited by Hor|zon; 12-29-2010 at 09:52 PM. Reason: combined double post, sorry

Old 01-01-2011, 04:41 AM

nice tips re: mac os x + cowon. thanks.

seriously though, Apple is gaining prominance in Seoul Korea, i do not see how they could exclude it as a viable OS to have their player run on. every other player out there (or at least the majority) run fine on a MAC.

such a pain...

Old 01-17-2011, 09:20 PM

Aloha,

Thankfully, holding the reset for 20 sec. did the trick. I was going to breakdown and actually refer the manual, but glad I checked ABI first.

Many thanks,

Old 01-18-2011, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Reformat the J3's internal memory using a good formatter like the sdcard.org's "SD Formatter" or Pannasonic's and drop the J3 firmware back on (you can search on how to upgrade the J3's firmware).
I support this whenever you fill your memory with crap files and face problem,format it.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:01 PM

I'm having the same problem again, it's infinitely checking the album art every time I turn it on now. But this time the computer wont even recognize it whenever I plug it in. Is there anything I can do with it?