android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon J3

Old 08-22-2010, 12:00 PM

Default J3 + QTScrobbler: Last.fm scrobbling for tracks added in MSC mode is possible

EDIT: Zenses sucks big time compared to QTScrobbler - read post 4 for an update.

I have my J3 in MSC mode all the time, but I wanted to give the latest beta of Zenses 2 a try. So I set my J3 to MTP mode, connected it to Windows, and voila, tracks to scrobble indeed showed up in Zenses. This is a major step up from the Cowon S9, which needed to have all tracks added in MTP mode, MSC-added tracks didn't show up.

Zenses 2 however is a rather buggy and temperamental app (not as much as Zenses 1, though). Even if it confirmed scrobbling tracks, none of them showed up for me on my Last.fm site. I tried different timestamps (present/past/future), deleted the Zenses data folder, tried only scrobbling a few tracks, etc. So far I didn't get anything to actually scrobble. However, that seems to be some minor issue, which might be overcome easily.

This is just a heads up that one doesn't have to suffer the hassle and agony of MTP all the time with the J3, that one can use MSC mode for file transfer, and MTP mode only for Zenses. Maybe someone else gets luckier than me and actually manages to scrobble some tracks for real.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-22-2010, 01:28 PM

Seems I found the issue. Tracks transferred to the J3 in MSC mode lack one vital information, the track duration. Tracks uploaded with MTP display their correct duration in both Zenses and QTscrobbler, tracks transferred via MSC have a duration of 0.

Whereas Zenses gives no feedback about what went wrong, QTscrobbler is a more mature app that pops up warnings. With QTscrobbler it is also possible to add track duration info by hand to the MSC tracks, and then they can be submitted. This duration can be arbitrary (not good for Last.fm stats) or the correct track length (a major effort to type). This is only possible with the last stable QTscrobbler, version 0.10. The current 0.11 beta version doesn't display tracks without a duration anymore, so they can't be scrobbled. More about that here, also with Cowon-specific issues: http://www.last.fm/group/QTScrobbler...43047/_/598317

In short: It is possible to scrobble tracks added to the J3 in MSC mode - with QTscrobbler 0.10, when track durations are added manually.

(On a side note, experimenting with MTP showed me once again what a piece of garbage that transfer protocol is - half of the tracks on my J3 are now missing embedded album art, for no apparent reason. I didn't even play them, scrobble them, or anything else. Yet MTP somehow felt the need to mess with the tags.)

Old 10-31-2010, 11:03 PM

Hi dfkt,

How exactly can I scrobble tracks from my J3 in MSC mode using QTscrobbler? Thanks

Old 01-22-2011, 06:54 AM

Update: The newest beta version of QTScrobbler fetches missing track duration data directly from the Last.fm servers, so it doesn't matter anymore if you load your tracks in MSC or MTP mode on the J3. You can do everything in MSC mode, loading and listening - the J3 only has to be set to the broken buggy MTP mode for scrobbling, then can be reverted to MSC again.

Of course one's files have to be properly tagged for this to work (correct artist tag, correct album tag, correct track name tag), but that's the whole point of scrobbling anyways. This works for way over 99% of my files, only a few obscure ones didn't get the correct duration by Last.fm.

Fetching the track duration from Last.fm can take some time, especially if you scrobble large amounts of tracks. QTScrobbler might appear to do nothing for a while - give it some time, don't panic.

Get the newest QTScrobbler from here: http://www.last.fm/group/QTScrobbler...43047/_/598317

Old 01-22-2011, 07:05 AM

I'm not sure which QTScrobbler version you're speaking of, but the one found behind your link (.11-r239) doesn't scrobble tracks added in MSC mode. The track length is 0 except for files added in MTP, and it doesn't seem to fetch the missing information from Last.fm - or anywhere for that matter.

And yes, my files are properly tagged.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:11 AM

r239 is the version I use, it works flawlessly for me.

Some thoughts:
  • What file formats are you using? I scrobble MP3s only - I read that some people might be having issues with Vorbis or FLAC.
  • Maybe delete your qtscrob.db and qtscrob.ini files from the qtscrob folder in %appdata%, and start fresh?
  • Or maybe you have some firewall app running, that blocks QTscrobbler in some way?

Old 01-22-2011, 07:50 AM

It's odd. There's no prompt of any connection attempt, neither in nor outbound. It seems like QTScrobbler doesn't even try to fetch any online data.

I deleted those files and redownloaded the application. Dud.

I bet it must have something do with connecting to the internet. When exactly does the fetching of track durations occur? What's the log supposed to look like?

Old 01-22-2011, 07:59 AM

When r239 starts it's blank for some time while it connects to the MTP device - after it finds the files a small window pops up with a progress bar and a "fetching track duration" caption in case it finds files with zero length.

Maybe post your issue (with a log) in the 0.11 beta thread on Last.fm - maybe Beowulf or DruiD_ff can help.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:31 AM

I think I have isolated the issue.

It definitely has something to do with file formats. I added a few mp3's in MSC mode and it autocorrected the missing track lengths just like you described. FLAC files, however, did not scrobble, not even when added in MTP mode.

Ah well, audioscrobbling would have been a nice addition. There's no way I'm going to convert my entire library of FLAC files to mp3's just to keep track of my plays, though.

Old 01-22-2011, 12:30 PM

Seems that's an MTP issue in general, not just with the J3. That stupid protocol was made my Microsoft for DRM purposes after all (no matter what some of their marketing drones claim) - FLAC/Vorbis support certainly was quite low on the priorities list. I wonder if Beowulf can do anything about that.

Using FLAC on a portable player sure is a matter of preferences. I keep my FLAC backups on my computer and only use LAME MP3 for portable devices - I always rip in both formats in EAC anyways, or simply convert with a single click in dBpoweramp. Not only is LAME/MP3 still the only format with 100% compatibility with every player under the sun, there's of course also no discernible difference in perceived sound quality with a proper VBR rip - and lots more space for stuff.

Old 01-22-2011, 02:00 PM

Well, good thing we diagnosed the problem. Perchance it gets fixed in the future, though I don't think the demand for FLAC support amongst last.fm users is particularly high.

Having a your music library in multiple file formats is definitely a good idea, especially if you review DAP's for a living. I've had my files in FLAC since day one, and with 350GB worth of music, converting each album individually no longer seems like a viable option. FLAC support is the very reason I opt for Cowon products: I'm not one of those schizoids who claim they can tell the difference between Flac and V0 on a puny DAP; I'm simply too lazy to convert. In addition, I enjoy the notion of sporting a FLAC-player.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:59 AM

How to I get the scrobble.log into my Cowon j3? I still haven't been able to load tracks using QTSrobbler. Maybe it has to do something with using it on mac?

Old 01-27-2011, 11:03 AM

There is no .log file on the J3. That's only for Rockboxed players.

As this thread tried to explain, the J3's scrobbling works over MTP.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:06 AM

Here I was thinking it worked with MSC too! Oh, that's to bad though.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:12 AM

Sorry, I really don't know anything about MTP on OS X, but I think there would be a solution? Such as this, maybe? - http://www.wentnet.com/projects/xnjb/