android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones > Headphone User Reviews

Old 01-25-2011, 01:36 AM

The Hippo sound good, but unfortunately, have a failure rate higher even than the a-Jays!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-25-2011, 04:38 AM

Regarding the Phonak PFEs and bass: fitted correctly, i.e. with a good seal - not difficult compared with some other IEMs - and EQ'd appropriately on my J3, I can get as much bass out of my PFEs as I can my Klipsch S4s. Way more than I'll ever need - the Machbass3 preset will blow your head off if that's what you want.

Moreover, the bass is tighter and much more defined.

For me, being a guitarist, that means that, for example, you can really hear the plummy tones of Paul McCartney's Hofner on early Beatles recordings and compare them to the brighter tones of his Rickenbacker on later material. Or really hear the slap and thump-in-the-chest of a rockabilly stand-up bass. Or hear when Jack Bruce is playing either his Fender Bass VI or his Gibson EB3 on Cream albums. Or Lemmy's Ricky driving Motorhead along. Pink Floyd's 'One Of These Days' is sensational.

The performance over the whole frequency range is very smooth, detailed and even with no appreciable humps. I like the S4s but they are a blunt instrument compared to the Phonaks.

edit: I should add, I have the 012s with the green 'perfect bass' filter.

Last edited by selectortone; 01-25-2011 at 05:01 AM.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selectortone View Post
Regarding the Phonak PFEs and bass: fitted correctly, i.e. with a good seal - not difficult compared with some other IEMs - and EQ'd appropriately on my J3, I can get as much bass out of my PFEs as I can my Klipsch S4s. Way more than I'll ever need - the Machbass3 preset will blow your head off if that's what you want.

THAT is what I was hoping for. I know that my m6 has PLENTY of bass once tweaked with the J3 and one of the things I was warned about was the lack of bass compared to other phones. I am seriously looking at Phonaks, Silver Bullets, and a couple of others right now.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:38 PM

I couldn't disagree more about your impressions of the S4. Although I realize it is your impression and you were clear that user experience will vary, I still can't wrap my head around the sibilance you are hearing. I have read plenty of reviews for the S4, plenty of good, very few bad, and of all of them, the cons listed never included sibilance. I've been using the S4 for well over a year and have bought a second pair because I enjoyed them so much (and I am not a basshead!) I guess I am a bit surprised by your impressions ... sibilance ..?? Our ears must differ radically.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:45 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glove4 View Post
I couldn't disagree more about your impressions of the S4. Although I realize it is your impression and you were clear that user experience will vary, I still can't wrap my head around the sibilance you are hearing. I have read plenty of reviews for the S4, plenty of good, very few bad, and of all of them, the cons listed never included sibilance. I've been using the S4 for well over a year and have bought a second pair because I enjoyed them so much (and I am not a basshead!) I guess I am a bit surprised by your impressions ... sibilance ..?? Our ears must differ radically.
to be fair, I have read about the sibilance...though it hasn't caught my ear too much. I try not to look out for it though because it seems like one of those things that bothers you once you notice it.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selectortone View Post

For me, being a guitarist, that means that, for example, you can really hear the plummy tones of Paul McCartney's Hofner on early Beatles recordings and compare them to the brighter tones of his Rickenbacker on later material. Or really hear the slap and thump-in-the-chest of a rockabilly stand-up bass. Or hear when Jack Bruce is playing either his Fender Bass VI or his Gibson EB3 on Cream albums. Or Lemmy's Ricky driving Motorhead along. Pink Floyd's 'One Of These Days' is sensational.

The performance over the whole frequency range is very smooth, detailed and even with no appreciable humps. I like the S4s but they are a blunt instrument compared to the Phonaks.

edit: I should add, I have the 012s with the green 'perfect bass' filter.
1+

Old 01-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

to be clear...the difference int he perfect bass and the perfect fit is the accessories? pretty sure DFKT told me that somewhere.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:00 PM

Yes, the actual earphones are identical. With the 'PFE' you get a selection of acoustic filters and fitting tool in a nice case, silicone and Comply foam tips and some other stuff. The 'Perfect Bass' option comes with just the green filters and S, M and L silicone tips.

If you get the Perfect Bass package you can buy the extra accessories separately but to be perfectly honest I'm as happy as a clam with the 'basic' outfit.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:43 AM

I agree with the burn in of about 20 hours for the VB. I was a little disappointed when I got them but after about a week of listening they improved drastically and they're great now!

Old 01-27-2011, 10:47 AM

Is this intended to be a definitive 'bass oriented canal-phone' comparison review?

Last edited by Pipps; 01-27-2011 at 10:53 AM.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:05 AM

Pipps, I see your avatar, and understand where you're coming from.... nobody however said anything about 'definitive'.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipps View Post
Is this intended to be a definitive 'bass oriented canal-phone' comparison review?
these are my first hand impressions of the compared IEMs and in no way would I say that its definitive..people who have experience with one, two or all three IEMs will, I'm sure, both agree and disagree with the mentioned material.. everyone's ears are different; just as an example- I am a huge Dream Theater fan and one of my favourite album of theirs is Octavarium and that's also the name of a track on the album, which is a complex track lasting 20+ minutes.. towards the end of this song (intervals section), there are some very barely audible background vocals- I can hear them but my GF can't and she keeps thinkin that I'm just teasing her

edit: 100 posts!!

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

Old 01-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

"definitive"....no. There are plenty of bass oriented phones on the market. This just compares a few of the more common selections in a particular budget.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shigzeo View Post
The Hippo sound good, but unfortunately, have a failure rate higher even than the a-Jays!
Didn't know this...

Driver???

Old 01-27-2011, 09:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^ Yes, first I am hearing of this as well on the VBs though I understand Shigzeo is fairly knowledgeable on these matters.
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 01-28-2011, 10:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Great I just got a bit of change and now this...

Old 01-28-2011, 01:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^ You mean about possible "durability" issues on the VBs? Man, don't worry so much! Just treat your gear with a modicum of adult respect and you will be fine.

My own VBs are about 9 months old and basically look, sound and feel like brand new.

Enjoy your gear, whatever it may be! Don't get stuck on worrying about stuff that hasn't/may not happen. I mean, its about the music right? The gear? It's just stuff! lol

Where's the fun in that?
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 01-28-2011, 02:41 PM

I just have to mention: that post made me smile!

Agreed on lestatar

Old 01-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
I mean, its about the music right? The gear? It's just stuff! lol

Where's the fun in that?
wait...so you guys actual play music through these things on a regular basis? huh....I'll have to try that.

seriously though, well said but at the same time...you want gear that lasts so you can spend more money on music instead of replacing gear.

Old 01-28-2011, 03:00 PM

You could spend your money on donations to the RIAA, and buy yourself a harpsichord.