android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon J3

Old 10-03-2010, 06:54 PM

Default Getting an audiobook from audible.com to play on the J3

Hey guys, excuse me if this is a silly question but after scouring the J3 sub-forum here I still couldn't find the answer to my question.

I'm completely new to the concept of audiobooks and downloaded my very first one thanks to the voucher included with my 16GB J3. I downloaded it from audible.com and in the highest quality format they offer. Opened it up to play it using Windows Media player, entered my account details and it played fine. After that, I copied the file into the Audible folder of my J3 and when I try to play the file on the actual device, it tells me I need to activate it first. I thought that the activation would've been completed when I entered in my account details upon first opening the audiobook on my computer.

Any help on this matter would be appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-09-2011, 01:30 PM

Did you ever figure this out, as I am having the same problem.

I have downloaded an audiobook from audible.com using the free voucher and when I try to transfer it onto my J3 using the provided software, it asks me to activate my device, I enter the correct information yet just get an error saying "Failed to set activation date to device".

It's very annoying.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:06 PM

I have Audible working fine on my J3. I did not use the included voucher. To get it to work your must have the Audible manager installed on your computer. I am assuming you have already gotten this far to be able to play the book on your computer. I am also assuming you had to set up a user id and password on audible. If not you can probably stop here. Launch the Audible manager and then click on the devices tab from the menu, Then add the J3. Once you add your J3 you should see Cowon listed in the box on the lower left side of the Audible Manager. Next connect your J3 and click on Cowon on the left. It should show your J3 and how much space is available. Now right click on your book in the manager and you should see an option to "add to Cowon" click on this and you should see a dialog that prompts you for your credientials to activate the J3 to your Audible account.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:32 AM

Does the J3 have to be in MSC or MTP mode for this to work?

Old 01-10-2011, 07:32 AM

@dfkt Keep in mind I have a regular Audible account. I don't think that should make a difference. I have only used MTP mode and it works fine. I had problems(FW 2.23) with my video folder index being corrupted and reporting that I had over a 100K videos every time I synced or added/removed content when I used MSC mode for anything. Therefore, I can't confirm MSC mode will work with the Audible Manager.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:05 AM

I tested with MSC it appears to work as well

Old 01-10-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjoeraybob View Post
I have Audible working fine on my J3. I did not use the included voucher. To get it to work your must have the Audible manager installed on your computer. I am assuming you have already gotten this far to be able to play the book on your computer. I am also assuming you had to set up a user id and password on audible. If not you can probably stop here. Launch the Audible manager and then click on the devices tab from the menu, Then add the J3. Once you add your J3 you should see Cowon listed in the box on the lower left side of the Audible Manager. Next connect your J3 and click on Cowon on the left. It should show your J3 and how much space is available. Now right click on your book in the manager and you should see an option to "add to Cowon" click on this and you should see a dialog that prompts you for your credientials to activate the J3 to your Audible account.
Many thanks for your help.

Unfortunately I had already done all of these steps and still have a problem. When I get to the final step of adding my files to my J3 (which is recognised by the Audible manager, showing the right amount of files space, although strangely only as external drive on the right hand side, not internal drive) the dialogue box comes up asking me to input the credentials, which I do, only to get that error message.

I reapplied the 2.23 FW last night as I read on one of the Audible FAQ's that this may help, to no avail.

Any suggestions anyone?

Old 01-10-2011, 09:49 AM

Update, I have just tried changing my settings to MTP instead of MSC which it was set on (I have no idea what these settings are tbh and up to now haven't touched them).

On refreshing the device on Audible manager, it now removed the option of internal and external drive, instead just showing my J3 as one drive.

On trying to transfer my files over to my J3, it worked with no error, yayyyy.

Thanks for your help everyone.

EDITED to add:

Not sure if this will be of help to anyone else, but I just tested the two audiobooks that I transfered using MTP mode and they played fine, so I then reconnected the pc and removed one of the files using the Audible Manager. I then disconnected and changed back to MSC mode in my J3 settings and reconnected and booted up Audible manager. When I went to transfer the file in exactly the same manner as before I got the "Failed to set activation date to device" error after submitting my account details.

Make of that what you will, but for some reason it appears that my J3 won't work with Audible manager when in MSC mode.

Also for some reason, the files won't play on my laptop through Audible manager, well I say they won't play, they do actually appear to be playing (i.e the bar moves along the player as if they are playing) but no output is played to my speakers. Not sure I will be in a hurry to sign up to a regular Audible account if I am truthful.

Last edited by Leeder; 01-10-2011 at 10:10 AM.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:14 AM

Mostly DRM(protected) files do not work with MSC you need MTP.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:26 AM

Hi there!

I have problems with the combination of J3 and audible, too.
The album art of the audiobooks disappears after reconnecting the device to the computer; sometimes, the J3 shows the wrong titles ("Cowon S9" or the title of another audiobook is shown).
I think it has something to do with the DB update; if I do this manually, I have the activation message, too (even if the files played before). This could be a problem when I start using micro sdhc cards...
Hope that they'll fix this issue soon! The audible compatibility was a big reason for me to buy the J3!