android
Old 12-28-2010, 06:18 AM

Default J3 Micro SD Card can't be removed

Hello Everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone here has had the same issue with the card-slot of the J3: I can't remove the inserted Micro SD (= push it in, it will pop out so one can take it out - that's how it works with my Sansa or D2 or any other device with a card-slot). The card is inserted correctly (I can add and remove files, it's recognized when connected with my PC, files show up correctly in the J3's browser).

When I push the card in just nothing happens. It's a Transcend 16 GB card (and if it was a 32gb card I guess I might not care). I've already contacted Cowon Support but I suppose I won't hear from them until the new year.

I've just got my J3 and I would hate if I had to send it in already, so if anyone has experienced the same or has an idea how to get the card out without damaging the J3 - any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you very much!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-28-2010, 07:01 AM

While I don't have this issue, mine is recessed so far that I have to take something slim like the blade of a pocket knife to reach far enough in to press the card to be released.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorguy View Post
While I don't have this issue, mine is recessed so far that I have to take something slim like the blade of a pocket knife to reach far enough in to press the card to be released.
Well, my card isn't recessed that far, it's right there in the slot and I can somehow press it, but it won't be released. I've tried it with another micro sd card and was able to press it in, but it still won't be released. How are you doing it with the knife? Press the top of the card? Because I can do that but nothing happens. Thank you!

Old 12-28-2010, 07:36 AM

@Tintin67
Take a needle and push the card (left side, center, right side) sooner or later in will jump out.

Old 12-28-2010, 07:59 AM

As has been suggested, use a toothpick or something fairly small like that and push down on the top edge of the inserted microSD card.

If it's currently inserted and grabbed by the slot, pushing it down will cause it to be un-grabbed and the spring inside the slot will eject it up sufficiently for you to then grab hold of it with your finger nails (or maybe a tweezer, or small needle-nose pliers) and pull it out.

If it's not currently inserted and grabbed, pushing it down all the way with a toothpick should get it grabbed. Then push it again with the toothpick and it should now pop up for removal.

You're right though, when "ejected" it doesn't really get pushed up far enough to be easily pulled out. But it does get ejected. That slot is spring-loaded.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin67 View Post
Well, my card isn't recessed that far, it's right there in the slot and I can somehow press it, but it won't be released. I've tried it with another micro sd card and was able to press it in, but it still won't be released. How are you doing it with the knife? Press the top of the card? Because I can do that but nothing happens. Thank you!
I'm taking the flat part of the blade (opposite of the blade) and pressing it against the outermost part of the card. It does sometimes take a couple tries to push it in far enough to be released. Sorry I can't be of more help

Old 12-28-2010, 09:36 AM

Thanks a lot to everyone here so far.

It doesn't seem to work, maybe the spring mechanism is defect .

I have tried with several small things to push the card down to be ejected; it doesn't seem to move at all or if it does (which I just don't know) it won't be ejected far enough to pull it out even with tweezers. Actually it feels like I'm just pushing it farther in (I should have bought a 32gb card, this could have just stayed injected ). I've never experienced this with any other device...

I guess I will wait for Cowon's answer now, because I don't want to mess too much with the J3 since it's brand new.

What I understand from your answers is that it's not just me having trouble removing the card, so I guess the slot mechanism is not the best designed part of this otherwise really fine player.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:02 PM

Yes I have the same problem with my J3. The micro sd card is very hard to remove and there is no spring action at all. It took me 5-10 minutes to remove by pressing a pen point on the tip of the card. I'm not going to bother inserting the card again.

Also, the J3 wouldn't read the mp3 files on my micro sd card so I emailed Cowon and they gave me an RMA. I'm going to return it this weekend.

I find the small power button hard to use, also. I prefer the on/off switch of my D2 and my D2 sounds better.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bascom View Post
I'm not going to bother inserting the card again.
Do you mean you're not going to REMOVE the card again once your replacement J3 arrives, or that you're just never going to insert a card and thereby will never increase the capacity of your J3?

In my case, I bought a 32GB J3 specifically so that I could insert a 32GB external card, producing a 64GB result... which is what I wanted. I've not removed that card ever since inserting it.

Quote:
Also, the J3 wouldn't read the mp3 files on my micro sd card so I emailed Cowon and they gave me an RMA. I'm going to return it this weekend.
Are you sure the problem was with the J3 being defective???

Are you sure that maybe the microSD card you purchased might not actually be a counterfeit fake??? This turns out to be a VERY COMMON SITUATION, especially when buying cards online at "terrific prices".

You should absolutely TEST your external card to be sure it's legit (or not), by using the H2Testw utility. You can run the test even with the card inserted into your current J3.

NOTE: presumably you don't need to preserve what's on the card right now, but can re-load your music files after the test is run by re-copying from PC to card. It seems unlikely that you have something on the card right now which is irreplaceable, since (a) you say your J3 can't read it, and (b) you must have copied it from your PC in the first place.find the small power button hard to use, also.

Again, your problem may not be a defective J3... but rather a counterfeit microSD card. Very possible.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:47 PM

If I could get a micro sd card to work with my J3 I would insert it and never remove it. But since my card didn't work I'm not going to insert it again.

My micro sd card works with my camera and Cowon D2 with an SD adapter. I will try your H2testw 1.4 if I have time. Thanks for the tips.

Last edited by bascom; 12-28-2010 at 03:59 PM.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:12 AM

@DSperber: Yes, I agree with you, a 32gb card could just stay inserted "forever". And if I manage to get the 16gb card out (or Cowon does), I will buy a 32gb card anyway (I should have done so in the first place ). I'll then try the 16gb card in my sansa e280 (I'm running Rockbox on it). But still it's sort of annoying that it's so difficult to get the card out - with the Sansa (and the D2, but that's a bigger card, of course) it's easy as pie to remove the little card and that's how it should be, I think.

@bascom: I have a D2 as well (16gb with 16gb card). I bought the J3 because the D2+card is almost full and I needed a device with bigger memory. I find it somewhat easier to get the sound I want with the D2. I have experimented with the J3's BBE settings a lot and have almost
found the "right" (for me) settings and find that the J3's sound, while being quite different from the D2's, in my opinion, is equally impressive. But it's more "work" to get there. And while I don't find the power button that hard to use it frequently gets in the way when I'm trying (still at it) to eject the card (I keep hitting it by accident). I hope you can resolve the issues with your card. Mine is working fine, at least.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:37 AM

Just as an update: I've received my replacement from Amazon a few days ago (I've bought the J3 just before Christmas, so I could use the extra return period; I've returned it as damaged, of course. Cowon support unfortunately didn't answer my request ). With the new J3 I can remove the - now 32gb - card easily, though, as has been stated here before, one has to take a closer look to see that it's actually ejected. So I suppose the spring mechanism in my first J3 was defect after all. The 32gb card is working fine as well.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:40 AM

glad to hear it worked out. sometimes it's just kaputt.

Black Cowon J3 32 GB (Black Ringke Case) - no lousy Sennheiser CX 300 anymore, Pana HJE 900 took the throne... for keeps