android
Old 01-03-2011, 02:00 AM

Help Another Mp3 player choice thread

Right off the bat I'd like to apologize for another advice-request thread, but after hours of searching and reading I just can't make my mind up.

I won't waste your time, here's what I've got so far.

Location: Hungary, but can probably have it shipped from most places.
Budget: A max. of about 150 USD, but realistically with my requirements it should be at or under 100 bucks.
Use: Everyday listening while commuting, with some sports mixed in(snowboarding). No video whatsoever.
Type: DAP definitely, more on this below.

Ok, so here's the details:
First off, I want something simple, definitely tactile controls, I like to be able to navigate without taking the device out of my pocket, this also means it has to be on the small side. Second, I want at least 24 hours of battery time(sadly this rules the Clip+ out), I do sometimes take music on long trips. And thirdly, I need at least 8GB of space.

By now, I've looked at dozens of different brands and players, and I've come up with this, in no particular order:

SanDisk: Clip+ has short battery life, Fuze+ UI is bad, had bad experience with quality on former device, but open to suggestions.
Philips: Seen some promising stuff, but no proper reviews or opinions, Muse and Aria(z) look interesting, former has touchscreen, which can be a downside.
Zune: Also promising, but pricing is erratic, and I haven't heard much in the way of positive about it.
Sony: E-series looks right, but S- and A- series also tempting. Help me out here. Also heard EU versions have low volume, which is a deal-breaker.
Cowon: Too many to count. Seriously, they have at least 10 on their site, and those are just the brand new ones. i7 and U5 stuck out, would like some info on them, if they're still available, etc.
iRiver: Had good experience with them, curious about their lineup but can't find good info. Suggestions?

In short:
I need a strictly-music-player, 8GB, tactile, long battery life(not Clip+). So far only Sony E-series and Cowon i7 seem to stand out, with Zune and some Philips models following close behind. I can not make my mind up because I don't want to make a mistake. Help me out

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-03-2011, 02:38 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Why not get two players if you can afford it?

get a clip+ for your doing your sports and another player for commuting

the new sony e series is supposed to have a 50 hr battery life

or how about a Sansa Fuze if you can find one it has around 20+ hrs of battery life

some people use small battery packs for their clips to extend battery life

here is one that i have and other use

http://www.amazon.com/Tekkeon-TekCha.../dp/B0014KLX9C

Old 01-03-2011, 03:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I would go with the clip+ with the battery pack like the previous poster linked to. The Zune is not good for navigating in pocket but it is a nice player. I can't speak on the Sony players or Cowons. I have a Philips player but not the models listed. I can't say that I like their UI. The Clip+ can be Rockboxed which increases the battery life. I've been getting about 16hrs & it's a used player I bought on Ebay nearly 6months ago.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:23 AM
Banned

sonys are volume-hobbled which makes them worthless in the EU in my opinion.

Philips players are sub-par compared with other makes, the same applies to Creative; iRiver don't seem to make good players anymore, either.

i have an Cowon i9 which has a mix of tactile buttons and a touch control pad - it works pretty well for blind use and i get 24 hours listening out of it.

other than that the Samsung Q3 looks to be a good player (although not out everywhere yet).

Old 01-03-2011, 06:44 AM

Would you consider buying a Refurbished Sony NWZ S639F.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921666065153

Old 01-03-2011, 07:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC56 View Post
Would you consider buying a Refurbished Sony NWZ S639F.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921666065153
Can you confirm that they will ship out of the USA? To Canada (in my case) or Hungary (as in the OP's situation).

Cause I doubt that they will, and I can't be bothered to create an account there to be shut down.

Steve

Old 01-03-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
Can you confirm that they will ship out of the USA? To Canada (in my case) or Hungary (as in the OP's situation).

Cause I doubt that they will, and I can't be bothered to create an account there to be shut down.

Steve

Sorry I can't confirm.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:31 PM

I'm in the same boat as RedAero. I'm looking for a 8GB MP3 player with deceant to good audio quality and tactile controls for under $100. I was going to get a Cowon J3, but seeing as I'm out of work (again) I just cant justify such a extravagant purchase.

I don't like the feel of the Sony players, but ATM that is all I can see that fits my criteria. I can't get a Zune as I have a Mac. I'd love to get a Zen Vision:M but seeing as they are not made anymore I'm kinda out of luck. Not to mention more storage then I will ever need.

I'm tempted to just get a iPod Mini and put a 8GB CF card in it. Sadly, I don't trust my modding/hacking skills and the audio quality isn't supposed to be that great.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:36 PM
Administrator

If you get a Sony won't you still have the playlist issues we discussed before? Or had you figured out a work around for that?

Old 01-04-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
If you get a Sony won't you still have the playlist issues we discussed before? Or had you figured out a work around for that?
Are you talking to me?

Has anyone heard anything about the PHILIPS GoGear? Newegg has an 8GB on sale for $99.9 this week.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GumbyX84 View Post
Are you talking to me?

Has anyone heard anything about the PHILIPS GoGear? Newegg has an 8GB on sale for $99.9 this week.
opps! forgot to quote you. Yeah back a few months ago you had some questions about making playlists on a Sony connected in MSC mode to a Mac. I may be remembering poorly but I thought you said the lack of .m3u playlists in that case was a dealbreaker. Sorry if I'm mis-characterizing your thoughts back then.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
opps! forgot to quote you. Yeah back a few months ago you had some questions about making playlists on a Sony connected in MSC mode to a Mac. I may be remembering poorly but I thought you said the lack of .m3u playlists in that case was a dealbreaker. Sorry if I'm mis-characterizing your thoughts back then.
No you are right. I did not want a Sony player if it didn't have M3U support. To be honest, I forgot all about that. As I said before, I was supposed to get a Cowon J3, but I just don't have the funds to get one anymore. So I'm back to hunting.

There aren't many choices out there anymore for "decently" priced players with tactile controls. I dont want a Clip+ as Im afraid I'll break it. I've already had bad lucky with small players. The only thing even close would be the original Fuze, but you can't find them anymore (in brick-and-mortar stores) and its not even what I really want (still too small). I wish Sansa didnt cut support for the View. It was perfect (for me).

Old 01-10-2011, 12:54 PM

No one has any advice for us?

Old 01-10-2011, 03:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Have you looked on Ebay for some of the players "you can't get at a brick & mortar"? There are sellers that have Zen VM's of course they are not new but still decent & working or refurbished. I have modded mine & several for others & most parts are available. The clip+ is more sturdy than you may think & new ones are still out there. http://electronics.shop.ebay.com/iPo...4&_sop=1&_sc=1

Old 01-10-2011, 04:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Gumby: Your description sounds like a Clip+, but you don't want one.
Quote:
I'm in the same boat as RedAero. I'm looking for a 8GB MP3 player with deceant to good audio quality and tactile controls for under $100. I was going to get a Cowon J3, but seeing as I'm out of work (again) I just cant justify such a extravagant purchase.
As coachop94 just said, the clips are sturdy beasts. Sorry but I have no other advice for you.

Steve

Old 01-10-2011, 07:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I wish Sansa didnt cut support for the View. It was perfect (for me).
This seller has new Sansa View for sale. He does have more than one auction for them. http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Sansa-View-1...item5ade7094c1

Old 01-12-2011, 12:08 PM

I know the Clip+ is the closest thing to what I want, but its just too small. I can palm the thing twice over. I have a habit of losing small things and even if the Clip+ is cheap, I would rather not have to buy a new one.

@coachop94 The View has horrible firmware, which is why it failed spectacularly. Sansa pulled all support for it a few months after launch, so it will never get better, Which sucks as, like myself, many people here at abi liked the feel and style of the View.

It is starting to sound like I'm better off buying an older player as they fit my needs better. I do not like to as they are no longer covered under any kind of warranty and usually aren't supported anymore. Anyway: Of the older players, which would be considered the "best" (besides the Zen Vision: M)? I'm looking for good sound and build quality, preferably the size of a Sansa View/iPod Shuffle 4th Gen. Touch Dial (a la Fuze and iPod) would be great.

Again I am sorry if I come off as demanding. I'm hitting the high of withdrawal after being without a player for so long, today being the worst. Shoveling snow for an hour in silence can do strange things to a man.......

Old 01-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

wait around for the new Fiio player...then come back here and tell us how it is

Old 01-12-2011, 01:26 PM

I can has links? Also, when does it come out?

Old 01-12-2011, 02:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60059

Tags
dap, mp3, suggestions