android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 01-01-2011, 12:46 PM

Default Good 'beater' IEMs for RB Clip+: Klipsch S2 or S4??

I dont really believe in 'burn-in' of earphones, but now i'm kinda thinkin that some actually 'burn-out' .. I've been using the denon ah-c551 for about a year now and I've used them everyday during that period and they have been great up until last week when they started sounding less 'fun' than they did before.. i don't use them while working out, there's been no physical damage to them, they keep sitting in a case when i'm not using them and basically i've been very careful while handling them.. with a good RB eq, the C551s sounded warm with a miniscule amount of sibilance on some songs but no complaints otherwise...now they just sound muddy and kinda shrill .. anyhoo, i'm just looking for a replacement 'beater' IEM and i kinda narrowed it down to either the S2 or the S4, both of which i've listened to, but not over an extended period of time..anyone had any in-depth experience with either?? also if someone can very quickly interpret this graph, i'd be much obliged :

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-01-2011, 01:31 PM

Although I do not practice any burnin process on any phones today, I did a test years ago and noted minor changes, could be better or worse in IMHO. I do believe that balanced armatures do not change over time, while on the other hand dynamic drivers do change with use and IMO can either get better or more likely worse with hundreds of hours of use. Although I still use my crossroads XBs EQd to increase their bass as they began to lose their wonderful bass around the 100 hour mark and have remained the same since, thus my statement that phones can get worse.

Its been way to long since I listened to Klipsch so I pass on commenting any specifics on them but IIRC I didnt like the ones I tried at that time. To understand their frequency response graphs reading http://www.headphone.com/learning-ce...asurements.php should help you out, if not ask specifics here.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 01-10-2011, 02:42 PM

ok..so an update and also why now i think rockbox is even more awesome .. so since starting this thread, i didnt use the denons just to see if theres any changes..well, not to the phones themselves but when i used very different EQ settings to my original ones to adjust them to the newfound sound sig, along with the separate bass and treble settings which i initially completely ignored, Voila!! very close to how they sounded before!!

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."

Old 01-10-2011, 03:19 PM

I wouldn't suggest Klipsch iems for "beaters" they are built like crap and wont take to being manhandled for long.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 01-10-2011, 03:39 PM

i got the s4 already and yeh i realised that when i opened the box they were in .. so now they belong to my gf .. its cool though coz the hippo VBs are already on the way and i also orderd the brainwavz m3 and the nanite n2 just to see what the fuss was all about on head-fi..