android
Old 01-07-2011, 07:35 AM

Default A question about J3 and external memory

Hi there.. I'm another one of those long-time-reader, first-time-posters

I'm buying a J3 soon (finally!), and something bugged me about the way it will read external memory cards. I've looked around this forum and iAudiophile but couldn't find an answer.

Does the memory card need to have it's folders arranged similarly to the J3 itself? If I have music files, could they be in any folder, or under one named 'Music'? Same goes with documents, video, flash etc.

I understand that the J3 will integrate any files into it's library for tag browsing, and since I have some audiobooks I hoped to 'hide' them from it using a different directory. Basically, will this be possible?

I will really appreciate an answer, since its going to affect the way I'll use the J3 and the microSDHC.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-07-2011, 07:38 AM

You can put any files in any folders you want, you don't have to use the structure that Cowon suggests.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keren536 View Post
since I have some audiobooks I hoped to 'hide' them from it using a different directory. Basically, will this be possible?
Not a J3 owner, but I fear that hiding audiobooks that way can only be possible on internal memory.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetooman View Post
Not a J3 owner
Then why speculate?

There is no difference in how the internal memory and the SD card are treated by the J3. There is no separation of audiobooks and music files, like there is on Sansa and other players, no matter if internal or external memory. You can put them in separate folders, but in ID3 browsing they will be lumped together, depending on search criteria. In file/folder browsing mode you can of course exclude them a bit better, but they will still be in the mix if you shuffle the whole memory.

Old 01-07-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Then why speculate?
I was putting myself in the place of someone looking for doing the same thing. Because this is the only other storage, I express the danger that it could be only the solution left. Understanding that he surely don't want to put his audiobooks on the internal memory, I was expecting that while someone could answer us precisely on that matter, the poster could then open to us more on his choice to put this type of content on the card. I was trying to enlarge the conversation. But apparently threads must be yes/no checkmarks forms...

Old 01-08-2011, 06:43 AM

Thanks dfkt and meetooman! You guy are really helpful

It's too bad about the audiobooks, though I might try and merge those into a single file each, to solve problems while shuffling all songs... There may be nothing more frustrating then having to skip audiobook chapters while trying to fall asleep to some relaxing music. By the way, does anyone know of a program that can do that for me? any suggestion will be nice.

Thanks again for your help

(P.S. err.. meetooman? I'm a she... and yes, I really don't want to put the audiobooks on the internal memory - along with my music collection, there simply won't be any space left for videos and such. I don't have enough money to buy a J3 with more internal space then 16GB, so I'm going for the 16GB version with a couple of microSDHC cards.)

Old 01-08-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keren536 View Post
and yes, I really don't want to put the audiobooks on the internal memory - along with my music collection, there simply won't be any space left for videos and such. I don't have enough money to buy a J3 with more internal space then 16GB, so I'm going for the 16GB version with a couple of microSDHC cards.)
Forgive me if I thought "the poster" without genre in a very non discriminatory way, may some grammar rules should prevail here, I'm not expert in that field either.
I knew you have precise reasons to do this, but people are so strange that if you directly ask "Why do you want to put audiobooks on the card?" instead of sharing their ideas they can get defensive or aggressive as if you deny them some constitutional rights etc...
I spend few days lately sharing a card between a mp3 player and a phone not because of some brilliant personal management idea, but because I only have a single one and still not sure that I need another as I don't know yet what special thing to do with it.
Call it synchronicity, somebody send me an email yesterday, sharing with me a way to hide files on some devices. I hope you will eventually find one for your great player.