android
Old 07-14-2009, 09:55 PM

Default how to best create playlist on x1061

Is there a way to create playlist using media monkey?
I can right click on file under explorer to create a playlist but cannot add more songs to it.

Why isn't Sony providing a software to manage the device?
What is the best way to manage the songs in the device BESIDE
Windows Media Player...every time I open WMP it keeps on trying to
sync X1061 add garbage..

Anyone?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-15-2009, 05:04 AM

Hi,i'm using Vista on PC 'X' is connected to.I use Mass Storage for everything.
My Computer>Walkman>Music etc,right click on a music File or Folder,make a Playlist,then drag & drop any music File or Folder into it,it adds them to Playlist(you can move them up/down etc in a limited way).Its a .PLA file call/rename it what you want,it will show up in the music Folder as that,with its appropriate logo etc.

Cheers BOB

Old 07-15-2009, 11:21 AM

Thanks, that will work for now...

Old 01-01-2011, 09:09 PM

I just got an X-1061, and I'm dissatisfied with the playlist management. I see how it is possible to make a playlist as suggested above- by browsing on the player when it is connected and make a *.pla playlist, and adding songs to it using Windows Explorer, but this approach is extremely tedious if I want to make a big playlist with songs from lots of different folders and I have to constantly browse from one folder to another.

I like to make big playlists - like all my quiet songs, or all my energetic songs, or whatever, so there are hundreds of songs in each playlist. I'd really like to be able to manage them using something like MediaMonkey, which is what I used on my old Cowon X5 - but there just doesn't seem to be a good way to do it for the Sony player. Is there any way to make playlists with MediaMonkey?

It seems that Sony wants you to use WMP, which I need to work with more, but it seems a bit tempermental - and it is not easy to add a playlist to the player without syncing it, and thus adding all those songs to the player which I've already put on it. It's very annoying to not be able to easily interact with the songs on the player because it is in MTP mode.

Any suggestions?

Old 01-02-2011, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhc0329 View Post
Is there a way to create playlist using media monkey?
I can right click on file under explorer to create a playlist but cannot add more songs to it.

Why isn't Sony providing a software to manage the device?
What is the best way to manage the songs in the device BESIDE
Windows Media Player...every time I open WMP it keeps on trying to
sync X1061 add garbage..

Anyone?
I use MediaMonkey to manage my music. It's a terrific program and I've found it to be a vast improvement over Windows Media Player. Its main limitation is that it it only designed to work with audio, not video or pictures. Since I don't use my player for anything but music it hasn't been an issue for me.

I have a different player than yours but I think that the process of creating playlists in MediaMonkey and loading them on your player should be the same as it is with mine.

It is possible to create two types of playlists with MediaMonkey (MM), regular playlists and autoplaylists. With a regular playlist you create it and then add songs to it. With an autoplaylist, you create it using a criteria (for example, all pop songs rated five stars) and it generate a playlist containing the songs that match that criteria.

To create a playlist in MM, do the following:

- Right click on "Playlists" in the Playlist Node (it's in the same area as "Library" and "Now Playing")

- Select the type of playlist you want to create.

-- If you select "New Playlist" name the new playlist.

-- If you select " New Autoplaylist" name the new playlist and establish the criteria for the items you want in the playlist. The songs that match that criteria will automatically be added to the playlist and it will automatically be updated.

If you've created a regular playlist, you will need to add songs to it. You can do this one of two ways:

- Drag and drop songs onto the playlist in the playlist node.

- Select songs and then send them to the playlist.

As far as putting the playlists on your player, you will need to do the following:

- On the menu bar click on "Tools" >> "Options."

- In the Options window select "Portable/Audio Devices" and select your player under "Available Devices."

- Click on the "Configure" button.

- In the Device Profile window, click on the Playlists tab.

- Check the playlists you want sent to your player.

When you sync your player the playlists (and the files they contain) will be sent to your player.

As far as adding songs to a playlist created via Windows Explorer, you will need to do the following:

- Open up the playlist on your player. You can do this by right clicking on it and select "Open" or by double clicking on it.

- To add files to the playlist, open up your player's music library in Windows Explorer (on my player it is in the Music folder), and drag and drop the songs into the playlist. The songs you add to the playlist will be placed at the end, but you can reorder the playlist.

- Click on "OK" to close and save the playlist.

I hope this helps.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 01-02-2011, 06:06 AM

here is a I guide I made last year for making playlists

http://thewalkmanblog.blogspot.com/2...g-windows.html

Old 01-02-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDMP3PlayerFan View Post
As far as putting the playlists on your player, you will need to do the following:

- On the menu bar click on "Tools" >> "Options."

- In the Options window select "Portable/Audio Devices" and select your player under "Available Devices."

- Click on the "Configure" button.

- In the Device Profile window, click on the Playlists tab.

- Check the playlists you want sent to your player.

When you sync your player the playlists (and the files they contain) will be sent to your player.
Thanks for your reply. The problem I have with this is that if I already have all my music that I want on my player - I want to be able to just make a playlist and add it to the player without syncing all the songs that are contained in that playlist - since the songs are already there. This also becomes an issue with overlapping playlists. How do I get around that?

The option of using Windows Explorer does seem to work - but the problem is that it requires browsing from folder to folder to find all the songs I want in a playlist. I tried dragging a song from WMP to the playlist created through Windows Explorer, but it wouldn' let me. So this approach is very slow - I really need to be able to use a media manager where I can look at all my music at once.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Winamp let's you see the files transferred in MTP mode that are all ready on the player and make playlists from them. It's been a while since I've had it installed so I can't give exact directions.

Essentially you just select files from the Portables pane, right click them and name the playlist. I don't manage any of my players in MTP mode now so I'm light on details. I believe lestatar still does and would be able to lend a hand with that.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post
Winamp let's you see the files transferred in MTP mode that are all ready on the player and make playlists from them. It's been a while since I've had it installed so I can't give exact directions.

Essentially you just select files from the Portables pane, right click them and name the playlist. I don't manage any of my players in MTP mode now so I'm light on details. I believe lestatar still does and would be able to lend a hand with that.
Really? Winamp doesn't even detect my X1060. Very annoying.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip252 View Post

Hm, somewhere someone suggested that Songbird will work with the 1061, so I'm trying that. It had to resync all my music, which I'm letting it do right now. For some reason, syncing is always extremely slow on this Sony player. So I'm going to see how this works.

It looks like it will probably work, but right now Songbird takes forever to "mount" the Walkman - I'm hoping that gets better once it is synced.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildandgreen View Post
Thanks for your reply. The problem I have with this is that if I already have all my music that I want on my player - I want to be able to just make a playlist and add it to the player without syncing all the songs that are contained in that playlist - since the songs are already there. This also becomes an issue with overlapping playlists. How do I get around that?

The option of using Windows Explorer does seem to work - but the problem is that it requires browsing from folder to folder to find all the songs I want in a playlist. I tried dragging a song from WMP to the playlist created through Windows Explorer, but it wouldn' let me. So this approach is very slow - I really need to be able to use a media manager where I can look at all my music at once.
Based on my own experience, if the music is already on your player it won't re-add it during a sync. If you add a playlist and all of its songs are already on your player then it should not add any songs during the sync.

As far as overlapping playlists, one way to avoid this is to use autoplaylists and set their criteria so that it prevents overlaps. As an example, I used two playlists to load rated songs on my Sansa Fuze, one for the internal memory and the other for the memory card. To avoid the same song appearing in both locations, I set one playlist to sync certain genres to the memory card, and another playlist to sync everything but those genres to the internal memory. This avoids an overlap since all of my songs have only one genre.

As far as making playlists via Windows Explorer and adding songs to them, you have to drag and drop the files that are loaded on your player, rather than the songs on your computer. One way to avoid having to search through all of the folders on your player is to have Windows Explorer search your player for music files. It will provide a list of all of the music files on your player and you can drag and drop songs from that list on to the playlist.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 01-03-2011, 03:00 AM
Ultra Senior Member

huh...skip252 beat me to it.

I also was going to suggest Winamp for mildandgreen, but nimicitor's comment is troubling.

I do not have A Sony X, but can tell mildandgreen that Winamp works perfect for my Sony E [and a relative's Sony S] - playlists are easily created on both using existing music on the players.

No need to do any kind of "sync'ing at all [I am soooo not a fan of the whole "sync"ing business for DAPs/PMPs. Sure, sync my Blackberry. Sure sync my cell phone. But DAP/PMP? Overkill and needlessly confusing to less technical folks out there IMO.]

@nimicitor: Just curious: What is your PC environment? Do you have a recent version of WMP installed, if Windows? If not a recent version of WMP, perhaps you can try installing the MS MTP Porting kit [Google it] from Microsoft then install Winamp and try again.

I am curious to see if this will allow Winamp to "see" your Sony X...

cheers,
-les
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 01-03-2011, 01:55 PM

I'm still working with this - I quit using Songbird- it was working OK, but then it would get extremely slow.

Winamp recognized my SonyX fine, and it synced things up , though then later I asked it to sync again and it ended up adding some things twice. Also -most of my album art no longer shows up on my player, which is a shame, and not easy to quickly fix.

It looks like I'm able to make playlists; I'm still working on it. It's not as easy to use as MediaMonkey, but MM doesn't seem to interact well with the Sony X. Still, with Winamp, playlist editing is causing some temporary freezes in WinAmp. I might have to go back to WMP - we'll see.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

@mildandgreen: Wow, I just searched ABi for Winamp and lestatar. Jeez, I have posted a lot about how great Winamp is with my Sony E/MTP players - they should pay me.

This post may be of assistance to you, especially the pics...

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/sho...99&postcount=7

Not sure why you are getting some freezes with Winamp and the Sony X. What is your computer environment? Did you try to grab and install the MS MTP Porting Kit?
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 01-10-2011, 07:26 PM

Well, just to update this for any Sony Walkman owners who come across this thread - I have managed to get things working using Winamp.

Things were getting all screwy so I deleted everything and used windows media player to resync my music to my Sony X (which is painfully slow - it's unbelievable how slow file transfer is on this thing). Although I had album art for everything in WMP, only some songs ended up with album art on my Sony X. I had to use MediaTag to add album art and then recopy those songs to my player using Windows Explorer. That seemed to confused future syncing with WMP, but I'm just not going to sync anything anymore - as lestatar pointed out above - syncing is more trouble than it's worth.

So anyway, once I had my music and album art all in place, I now use WinAmp to make playlists. Using Winamp I make playlists from my media library on my computer (it's slower to make them from the library on the Sony X player) - and I then send the playlist to my player, and it seems to match everything up perfectly.

I tried the same approach with MediaMonkey- but MM would recopy all the songs in the playlist to my Sony player - so I'd end up with duplicates of many songs. WinAmp does not do that.

So this system seems to work pretty easily- but I am pretty shocked at how difficult it is to make playlists work with this player - it shouldn't take so much online research to get this to work. I had an Iaudio X5 which seemed kind of clunky these days - but it was much easier to make playlists.

Also, I have not used the MS MTP Porting Kit? Is it useful?

Old 01-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Administrator

Glad you've worked out a system that works for you.

If WMP and Winamp are working properly there's no need to install the MTP Porting kit. That's only needed if the MTP drivers supplied by WMP 11 aren't working properly. That's pretty rare from my readings.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^ yep.

I only mentioned MTP Porting Kit, because, in my case, I avoided updating WMP on all my systems for years, leaving only the base OS install of WMP.

Thus, I needed to look into MTP Porting Kit to get my stuff to work and it seemed to be the final piece of the puzzle for me. Later amateur analysis indicated that this did make some sense.

Indeed, probably as skip252 says pretty rare anyone needs it, but I threw it out there nonetheless. And congrats indeed mildandgree - thanks for posting your success as it may assist others.

cheers,
-les
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 01-11-2011, 01:54 PM

I had one small hiccup making playlists on winamp. I made a playlist and sent it to my Walkman. I then added songs to that playlist and added that to my Walkman, thinking that it would replace the first one, but it just made a second playlist with the same name. So unless there's another way around it, it is necessary to delete the first playlist when adding a revised playlist.

Old 01-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Administrator

With MTP media managers you will need to update the old playlist rather than creating new ones if you don't want duplicates. You can usually do that by opening the playlist in the media manger and removing the items you no longer want in that playlist or adding new ones from the player. If you create a new playlist the MTP "file system" sees it as a different item even if you name it the same thing.

You see the playlists names, the "file system" is seeing a unique number for that object. To avoid confusion caused by the different points of view you either have to delete the old playlist or update it.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^ Indeed, this is what I have discovered as well.

skip252 my friend, you really do never cease to amaze.
A Glossary for Newbies