android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Xtra / Touch

Old 10-05-2010, 11:06 AM

Default Winamp does not detect Creative Zen Xtra correctly- RESOLVED Winamp 5.6

Hi all,

Player: Creative Zen Xtra 60GB (DAP-HD0011)
Firmware: 2.xxx (the MTP/P4S one)

System:
Windows XP - SP3
WMP 11
Winamp 5.58

I am currently having what seems to be a software/driver issue with my work laptop (details listed above), and trying to use winamp to sync/play songs directly off my Zen Xtra

I can use WMP or Songbird to sync songs on to the Zen, but Winamp seems to no longer detect it properly. When it is first connected, Winamp seems to detect the player, but then in the media library everything comes up blank, and as zero duration songs.
I have attached a screenshot of what it looks like.

I have tried re-installing WMP11, Winamp, installed MTP porting kit in an attempt to get this working reliably, but no success so far. sometimes the player is picked up correctly in winamp, but that only seems to happen once in a blue moon. Have not tried re-installing Windows, but as this is a work laptop i do not have that option

Now, i also have a PC at home with almost identical set-up in terms of software, and that has no problems with Winamp detecting the player and streaming the songs off it directly.

Has anyone seen this issue before, and do they know what normally resolves it?

thanks in advance!
Kully
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Winamp-creative zen.jpg (46.3 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by kullyrai; 12-31-2010 at 08:15 AM. Reason: issue not resolved with latest version of winamp (v5.601)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Kullyrai: welcome to ABi...sorry for your troubles.

Wow, I have nearly the exact same environment as you do and have never observed this issue with my own Zen Xtras [2 of em].

Everything I would have suggested you have already tried, including installing MTP Porting Kit.

If the Xtra didn't work on your office machine, I might think perhaps your battery was going off. Since this is not the case, I simply am stumped.

Hopefully one of the Creative Big Brains here can assist.

I will watch with interest and do hope you find a resolution. I know calling Creative is a waste of time at this point, given the age of the device.

good luck,
-lestatar
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 10-12-2010, 08:20 AM

Hi lestatar,

It is definitely not a battery issue, as i replaced that already a few months ago. Also, i have one of those cables so that the Xtra can charge off the USB (It is USB on one side and a normal power point connection on the other, i got it with my PSP)

One thing I have noticed is that if I try and play anything it simply gives the following error in the Playlist editor:

[HTTP/1.1 404 NOT FOUND]

Maybe it isn't Xtra specific, and the issue is with Winamp connecting to localhost?

Old 10-12-2010, 11:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey kullyrai: Man I really don't know anything else to suggest...

Bumping this!

Hopefully some of the real Creative experts around here knows something useful...

Only 1 possible thing I am sure you tried - connect using a different USB cable and port?

-les
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 10-12-2010, 11:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I think the two main Creative experts in this forum aren't really here anymore....BobbyRS and ZenChick.

Old 10-12-2010, 11:53 AM

Hi lestatar,
Thanks for the suggestion, I have tried different USB cables and using a different port. In fact, it is interesting that you mention USB cable as i did find that the one i used to use no longer works properly!

I have also just tried the following:
- Full removal and reinstall of winamp (using the guide in winamp FAQ)
- Adding the localhost port (54387) which winamp uses and winamp.exe as exceptions to Windows Firewall

So far the device appears to work again, it is now detected correctly and i can play songs directly off the player again.
However, it has happened before that this setup just 'stops working' on my work laptop, so i will keep an eye on it for a few days and see if it now works ok.

If this causes it to work correctly, i think one of the reasons it stopped working is because my work laptop uses group polocies for the firewall, and maybe a recent change has caused the port winamp uses to stream off MTP devices to stop connecting?

Let's wait and see what happens...
kullyrai

Old 10-12-2010, 11:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey very nice! Yes, it is indeed possible that corporate group policies/security may have had an impact - naughty, naughty...you did mention this was a corporate laptop initially but I completely missed that...

Whatever...see how long it works for. If the prob resurfaces, you now have a plan of attack
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 10-13-2010, 04:30 AM

Well, that didn't last long....
Turned the laptop on this morning and again same issue, Winamp cannot detect the player properly again (see screenshot from original post for what happens)

All the settings for the windows firewall are still there, so that doesn't seem to be the issue. Looks like the only thing that makes it work is performing a fresh install, but I can't exactly spend an hour of each working day performing full uninstall/re-install ;-)

well, looks like there isn't much hope for this now..
off-topic, but are there any good new mp3/media players out that Winamp can actually detect and stream off directly!

Old 12-31-2010, 08:15 AM

Hi,
Just wanted to give an update, any issue that i had is now resolved with v5.6 of Winamp
Looks like this player will last a little while longer!

Old 01-01-2011, 09:48 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Sweet! Congrats man!
Good way to start a new year
A Glossary for Newbies