android
Old 12-25-2010, 01:32 PM

Default Looking for IEMs (is PFE the right choice?)

Hi,

I'm looking for new IEMs. I currently use Creative EP630 on a Meizu M3. I'll be updating my DAP to a Fuze or maybe even a Cowon J3 and want to move up a level with my headphones.

This is what I'm looking for:
  • Price Range: up to 150$
  • Type/Design: IEMs
  • Closed Style
  • Primary location of use: Primarily on the go (on the train / bus, sometimes walking but not during sport)
  • Preferable SQ or Sound Signature: Hard to say. I don't think I'm a bass-head. I'm no audiophile but am looking for a warm yet clear sound.
  • Media: singer/songwriter, classical, (progressive) rock and some jazz. No electronica or d&b.
There are a couple of IEMs that I already read some reviews about and that sound like they might fit my needs:

- Audeo PFE
- Westone UM1
- Ultimate Ears 700
- Phillips SHE9800 (quite cheap in comparison but got good reviews)

If I would get the PFEs, then would you get the cheaper "perfect bass" ones (for about 80$) or the more expensive 112 model?

Thanks so much for your recommendations!

Tobias

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-26-2010, 01:01 AM

I forgot to add: the cable noise should not be too bad. It is alright with the EP630 because its cable is pretty soft. I also used IEMs with a more rigid cable and this wasn't so nice.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:16 AM

The PFEs are lovely IEMs. Very comfortable, and a beautiful clear and balanced sound.

I believe that the difference between the "regular" and "perfect bass" phones is simply the (swappable) filters. I like a good bit of bass, and it's a personal thing, but I prefer the standard "neutral" grey filters to the "bass" black filters. I find that EQ'ing the bass is a better solution than using the black filters - the black filters seem to muddy the sound a bit.

So one option is to buy the cheaper "perfect bass" phones, then beg / borrow / buy a set of grey filters.

The cable is fine - it's a rubbery, flexible thing. The over-the-ears cable routing helps with cutting down the noise - it works very well.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:36 AM

Hi,

thanks for the reply. Well, the over-the-ear silicon routing doesn't seem to come with the perfect bass ones so I tend to buy the more expensive ones. However, I think it is strange that the perfect bass (green) filters don't come with the more expensive ones but just with the cheap ones.

How often will I have to exchange the filters? Has anybody compared the black and the green filters?

I think I'll go with these IEMs but I'm still not sure which version would be best.

Tobias

Old 12-27-2010, 02:37 AM

Also, I read that some describe the sound as too bright / hissing. What would you reply to that?

Old 12-27-2010, 04:19 AM

To clarify the over-the-ears thing, I don't actually use the silicon guides - the cables sit securely without them. YMMV of course.

With regards to filters - you should read this. Seems that to achieve "perfect bass", what they've done is to remove mids and highs (hmm...) which is why I prefer to just EQ the settings I want. That sort of thing is easy with a Cowon .

As regards "too bright", I'm not really the right person to ask, but I can say they're definitely no "basshead" phones, certainly in comparison to my Atrios & HD-25s. As for hissing, can't say I've noticed [1] - that might well depend on the player. Also the PFEs are known for clarity - so I suppose that could include enhancing any imperfections.

[1] - though bear in mind that I use a D2 - a player known to hiss, so my advice should be taken with a pinch of salt.