Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-18-2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by wyrdeau View Post
Hi, I'm particularly interested in buying the R0 having just downloaded the manual. I wonder if someone could help with a couple of questions?

I use skip interval a lot for language learning (iriver used to call this 'study mode') but it's not clear from the manual if the skip interval is adjustable or not. If not, what is the fixed skip interval? (10 seconds has been quoted on a couple of sites).

For language learning also, I'm quite excited by the possibility of slowing the play speed without affecting the pitch and as I've understood it, the R0 can do this as part of the DNSe 3.0 utility. Could someone please confirm this, and, if so, what degree of adjustment is possible?

Many thanks for any help on this...

Originally Posted by lebellium View Post

Not usual questions, I like it

There is only a "study mode" on the U5 and U6
However on the R0 you can adjust the skip interval: 5s, 10s, 30s, 1min, 1 song

With DNSe 3.0 you can also choose play speed: normal, fast 1, 2 and 3, slow 1, 2 and 3.
There is no pitch variation but you must bear in mind sound quality gets worse (especially in level 2 or 3). That's probably fine for voice recordings but that's terrible on music.

I own a Samsung R0 (firmware 1.23) and I frankly don't recommend it if you plan to use it for language learning at slower speed. The fact is that while pitch does not change, DNSe adds some echo/reverb to the sound once you change speed, even if DNSe is set to Normal. The voice sounds unnatural and this is not good if you want to learn a language.