android
Old 12-05-2010, 06:14 PM

Default Several questions to buy some phones.

Just ordered the clip+ most low end product reviews I've read on here emphasise the bass qualities but are there any low end phones that will suit the clip and the type of music I listen to?

- Mainly classical music
- Used mainly on Public transport
- Low budget

P.S

I usually buy earphones but they NEVER stay in my ear, and my left earhole is larger than my right. Not only that I am deafer in the left ear as well so I notice this difference

** On another note, are there any phones that offer separate volume control for either side, as I use to have a set that had this. **

Thanks

Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-05-2010, 06:44 PM

If you rockbox your Clip you can have right/left balance (pan) with any phones/iem’s you may use on the Clip. On the recommendation, you might want to state your budget so that others can recommend some phones for you. In the mean time you might want to look through this thread here.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffee_prince View Post
I usually buy earphones but they NEVER stay in my ear, and my left earhole is larger than my right.
I suspect that you have been buying earbuds that just sit on the outside of your ear and fall off easily.

You should look into some IEMs (In Ear Monitors). WalkGood has pointed you to an excellent (but long) thread on IEMs. dfkt continuously updates the chart in the first post. IEMs come with various sized ear tips. EG Large, medium, small. You can easily use a different size tip in each ear.

You may wish to try some decent but very inexpensive IEMs to see if the concept works for you. The eBay store 128headphones sells closeout IEMs from a company called V-Moda. Unfortunately, I think all of their phones offer low isolation, so would be of limited value on public transportation. These $6 (shipping free to USA) earphones are an inexpensive way to try out IEMs. Personally I prefer the more expensive Vibe model ($7 for pink or more for other colours).
http://cgi.ebay.com/V-Moda-Bass-Freq...item4aa62474fc

Steve

Old 12-05-2010, 10:51 PM

I agree with the previous post, to a point, I have the same issue with earbuds. Pop-Off is a bad problem for an active person. However I wanted the portability of earbuds and settled on an over the ear set. Now I have moved up ta higher class over the ear version the Weston UM3x. These are a perfect set of phones for me. High quality build, portable. replaceable cables and multiple styles of tips so in your case you can use a large for one side and medium for the other. The over the ear is the way to go.
This is the UM3 which focuses more on the bass side. There is a good youtube example with a guy on a jet ski you can check out. But the main point on any phones of this type is using foam tips for sound issolation and the over the ear style.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:30 AM

This is why I asked him to post a budget as customs provide a great fit that won't come out and max isolation. BTW I've used mine during very active sports and never had them come out and since they're custom to your ears it doesn't matter the shape or size of your opening ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-08-2010, 04:24 PM

Hi all

Budget I would say is aroubnd $100ish, the thing is that any earphones I buy always break within a few months as the wires near the joints get loose etc, so I haven't bought any higher priced ones than this.

Maybe I am not looking after them? I would use them everyday and treat them like any other person, roll it up around my PMP and put it in my pocket

I'd probably fork on more if they lasted a long time

Old 12-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Maybe I am not looking after them? I would use them everyday and treat them like any other person, roll it up around my PMP and put it in my pocket
This could be your problem. I do NOT roll them around my player. If you're going to do that at least unplug them first so that there is no tension on the end.

Steve

Old 12-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Hi all

Budget I would say is aroubnd $100ish, the thing is that any earphones I buy always break within a few months as the wires near the joints get loose etc, so I haven't bought any higher priced ones than this.

I'd probably fork on more if they lasted a long time
Stop that and your headphones have a fighting chance. I went through 10-12 sets of cheap to medium priced headphones and the always failed the same way. One side would start shorting out near the plug. A little bit later they were gone.

I read here to that wrapping them around the player was a sure way to break them. They were right. I store mine in an Altoids tin or a small pouch in a loose 4 finger roll. Haven't lost a pair since.

When I went back and started repairng the better ones I found that regardless of the thickness of the outer coating the actual wire is incredibly thin. If you wrap them around the corners of your player sooner or later it's going to break the headphones.

Edit: Steve beat me to it but he's dead on, find another way to store your headphones.