android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon J3 > Cowon J3 Video

Old 10-23-2010, 02:17 PM

Help Is it possible to watch downloaded youtube videos on Cowon J3?

Dear all,

I have a question about watching videos on Cowon J3. I bought my J3 last week and I'm already impressed by the sound quality. This weekend I decided for the first time to watch some video. I copied several MPEG-2 files that I had downloaded from Youtube but I can only see the name of the file in the video folder where I put them but it doesn't play them at all.

I download these videos by using firefox Download Helper plugin and I often chose DVD(MPEG-2) option which provides a good quality. I was looking the user manual of Cowon J3 and I saw that there are only three formats that are supported: AVI, WMV and ASF. Among these, WMV is supported by Download helper. Once I tried to download them, this time by WMV format, yet I had the same problem and I was unable to play.

Could somebody kindly guide me how should I proceed? Before buying this expensive Media Player, I read in many forums that the quality of video is just great. Not being able to see even a single video file during the last week has made me really discouraged.

Thanks in advance,

Kind Regards,
Dariyoosh

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-23-2010, 04:12 PM

After a bit more Googling I found a tutorial (in french) that suggests an interesting method with mencoder (I used this time Linux instead of windows).

Code:
mencoder myvideoFile.flv  -oac mp3lame -ovc xvid -lameopts preset=standard:fast -xvidencopts pass=1 -o myvideoFile.avi
The quality was really Excellent. This time, again I used Firefox Download Helper but I saved the file in FLV format. After that, by using the above mentioned command I converted it to AVI file.

Here is the link to the tutorial

http://dev.petitchevalroux.net/linux...linux.192.html

If I found other methods for other video formats I will write them in this thread to help others who may have the same problems.

Kind Regards,
Dariyoosh

Old 10-24-2010, 03:05 PM

Welcome to you. It's good to see another Linux user on the forum. :-)
I you want a GUI program, you can also use Avidemux or Handbrake which are multi-platform softwares. If you are on Gnome you may try to put your command-line into a Nautilus script, that's a great ease too.

Your mencoder command-line is very basic. Provided that you must convert your original flv video, don't you want to fit it to the J3 screen size (480x272px, HD/16) or control the video bitrate and final file size?

Old 10-25-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meetooman View Post
Welcome to you. It's good to see another Linux user on the forum. :-)
It's very nice to see nice people on this forum

Quote:
If you are on Gnome you may try to put your command-line into a Nautilus script, that's a great ease too.
I already created a Bash script that contains the specified command and takes one command line parameter which is the specified video file to be converted.

Quote:
Your mencoder command-line is very basic.
That's definitely true, because I did not know this command at all and I found that in the above mentioned page. I should definitely read carefully the documentation in order to be able to use the best capacity of this command which seems to me very useful.

Quote:
Provided that you must convert your original flv video, don't you want to fit it to the J3 screen size (480x272px, HD/16) or control the video bitrate and final file size?
In fact, while I was googling to find a solution to the original problem, I saw that many people were talking about the bitrate (does it mean the number of bits read per second?) and the J3 resolution, and I think I have to master this topic too (I'm really a beginner in the world of multimedia).
Last night I just copied a WMV DVD file (Carmen Opera ) with exactly the same format which can be read by a DVD Player in a hall. Well, generally speaking the quality seemed to me to be good (at least I can say that the voice was marvelous). Yet I observed that sometimes the image blocks or trembles (but not really often). So it seems that you can not just put what you want on the Media Player, and sometimes there should be some conversion.

Many thanks for your attention to my problem.

Kind Regards,
Dariyoosh

Old 10-25-2010, 06:09 PM

The bitrate to be simple is the size of the data stream that is used to define your audio/video content. If you encode your video at 500Kbps (500 kilobits per second) you use 62,5 KB kilobytes (KB) each second to describe your images. A 25 minutes TV show will weight 91MB (video only, audio will add to the file size).
To choose your favorite bitrate you must try different settings according to your screen size to see the one that fits your demands.

I suppose that you are comfortable with french, so you could read this post on my blog about this: Choix du bitrate video. I shared some thoughts on the right video bitrate when encoding for a portable device. Here I consider choosing a number of bits/pixel logic. I have some other posts on the subject and will add some others because I will soon post about encoding video for the Samsung P3 too, a device with the same screen resolution as your J3. So stay tuned.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
The bitrate to be simple is the size of the data stream that is used to define your audio/video content. If you encode your video at 500Kbps (500 kilobits per second) you use 62,5 KB kilobytes (KB) each second to describe your images. A 25 minutes TV show will weight 91MB (video only, audio will add to the file size).
To choose your favorite bitrate you must try different settings according to your screen size to see the one that fits your demands.

I suppose that you are comfortable with french, so you could read this post on my blog about this: Choix du bitrate video. I shared some thoughts on the right video bitrate when encoding for a portable device. Here I consider choosing a number of bits/pixel logic. I have some other posts on the subject and will add some others because I will soon post about encoding video for the Samsung P3 too, a device with the same screen resolution as your J3. So stay tuned.

Thank you very much for this interesting link, I'll definitely going to read it.

Kind Regards,
Dariyoosh

Old 10-25-2010, 11:31 PM
Anythingbutiphone Moderator

Hey, could you test this for me? It's the method I use to add Youtube videos to my Zune HD. Whether this works on the J3 will go a long way in determining if I purchase one.

Since you're using Firefox, install this addon:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/13990/

Now, when you load a video from the Youtube website, there will be some download options under the video to the right (3GP, MP4, HD, etc.). Select MP4. Does the video work on the J3 without any further conversion?

Old 11-14-2010, 03:55 AM

I downloaded using Firefox's youtube downloader and the regular on and converted the flv file to mpeg avi and the quality is excellent.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:53 AM

I download using firefox's mp4 downloader and then convert with SUPER

Old 11-15-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdwright1032 View Post
I download using firefox's mp4 downloader and then convert with SUPER

Yeah, very, very easy.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:59 AM

what format do i convert it to with super?

Old 12-03-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YippieYeah View Post
what format do i convert it to with super?
http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56633