android
Old 04-02-2009, 12:30 AM

My D2 seems to be working ok now but I can only either use memory cards or the internal memory. If I use both I will get a corrupt database at some point if not right away. So, I'm using just memory cards. I also am not using the D2 card reader to transfer files too since it has problems transferring them all right all the time. For example one out of every three hundred or so files will be there but when I play it, it won't play.

So anyway I use jriver jukebox and a five dollar memory card reader to transfer my files to the cards. Like I've said though if I use both internal memory and cards no matter how I transfer it even if it is mtp and using jriver, winamp, WMP, cowon shell, it still has the corruption problem. This is on the 2.59 firmware which I've been using for quite awhile. So the only solution I have found that seems to be working fine for now is just not to copy nothing to the internal memory. It still may have the corruption problem that may show up later but I haven't had it for a couple weeks now and before it was every other to every day.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-03-2009, 07:55 PM

Well, I got a corrupt database again today. It's easier to recover from though if you have nothing on your D2 and just using cards. Just clear the internal memory and make sure you have it in mtp mode so you don't lose your settings or data. I also have to make sure I don't have a card in there when I do it. Kind of a messed up bug though. I can't believe they won't address this. If the D2 has really been out this long and it's this popular (i've only had it for three months) it should of been fixed ages ago. All those tricks and tips really don't work that are floating around the interweb that say it'll keep the D2 from messin' up. I'm gonna be honest here the only bug I've noticed they fixed in the new firmware is the one with the play and pause with the menu button. Everything else seems to run the same and be the same, they didn't fix no database problems. The Zune has strange bugs too so I"m stuck with two bad MP3 players. Are ipods really that much better? should I just drink their coolaid in a year and a half when these die? I mean the way people talk about them you would think they have no bugs that the zune and d2 have.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:25 AM

What I can gather from this thread I'm by far not the only one that has problems with the filenames on the D2. Have I understood you correctly that you're all having problems when combining the internal memory and a SDHC card? Has anyone tried using several SDHC cards and refrain from using the internal? What is the status on this? 98% of the time I use the player for MP3 or radio, but sometimes I'd like to have some vidoes on it (especially when travelling). If I could use one card for MP3 and one for vidoes that would really help.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norlimix View Post
What I can gather from this thread I'm by far not the only one that has problems with the filenames on the D2. Have I understood you correctly that you're all having problems when combining the internal memory and a SDHC card? Has anyone tried using several SDHC cards and refrain from using the internal? What is the status on this? 98% of the time I use the player for MP3 or radio, but sometimes I'd like to have some vidoes on it (especially when travelling). If I could use one card for MP3 and one for vidoes that would really help.

I use five memory cards all for music. I still have the corruption problem every now and then and I don't use the internal memory no more. Why? well because the only way to fix it sometimes is to clear the internal memory, and since it takes so long to load files on it I would rather just not mess with it. The internal memory is waste to me. The only trick I"ve found that works sometimes when this happens is changing the language to whatever then back to english. Otherwise only the clearing of the internal memory will fix it. It seems to be doing it only every several days now and I swap out cards a lot. Also, like others have said make sure you format your cards with the panasonic formater or you will have even more problems.

This thing is unreliable if you plan on taking it with you without a computer. Kind of a shame I guess. Wish I could feel secure taking my music with it for an extended period of time. Just don't use the internal memory is all I can tell you.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:21 AM

Thank you for the headsup. I've been using the internal memory for several months now, but I've taken out the memory card. I guess I have to stock up on memory then :P Luckoly the SD cards have become quite cheap.

Old 04-16-2009, 09:42 AM
Banned

I'll insist in something that nobody have paid enough attention... but it has been the solution for lots of D2 users concerning db corruption and unordered files... use a media organizer to manage your player.

For instance this testimony using a free program (Media Jukebox) have solved the problems of a D2 user. It can be jetAudio, MediaMonkey whatever media organizer which send the files in order into the player.

Never drag'n drop or OS copy if it's intended to use Music Library... for file browsing seems that there is no problem, but there is the risk of db corruption.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaremoS View Post
I'll insist in something that nobody have paid enough attention... but it has been the solution for lots of D2 users concerning db corruption and unordered files... use a media organizer to manage your player.

For instance this testimony using a free program (Media Jukebox) have solved the problems of a D2 user. It can be jetAudio, MediaMonkey whatever media organizer which send the files in order into the player.

Never drag'n drop or OS copy if it's intended to use Music Library... for file browsing seems that there is no problem, but there is the risk of db corruption.

I've been using Media Jukebox 12 and still have that DB corruption problem every now and then. Now I just use it to load the cards though. Easier clearing the internal memory every couple weeks then constantly loading stuff on the device every time it happens. It does help if you have it in MTP mode though because at least on my device it only clears the content and not the settings when I have it in that mode. I tried Media monkey with it a long time ago and you can only transfer in MSC mode with that and your pretty much guaranteed a corrupt DB with media monkey.

I'm glad you found something that works for you though, thanks for sharing.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:49 AM

Default Found my problem

Hi, I read a lots of forum and pass lots of time on this problem and I finnally found it (for me)

Look in the folder you trasfert if the hidden and system file Albumart_guid.jpg are in it. After I erase all those files it fix my problem. You have to configure windows to see hidden file file and system file to delete it.

if you use a media sync it does not copy those file so it's why it work.

Please give me news if it fix your problem?

eric

Old 12-01-2010, 12:20 PM

Default Ah, D2's insane database management issue

This is my biggest complaint about my D2, which when it works works wonderfully. Here is how I have learned to cope with the issue:

1. Format your D2 internal flash as well as the SD card you use.
a. Google "Panasonic SD formatter" and download
b. Make sure you copy all your files to your hard drive, including system files
c. Run the SD formatter in Full - Erase ON, Automatic Adjustment OFF modes
d. Copy back ONLY THE SYSTEM FILES to your D2 (and POWERDIC if you have the Korean firmware) using regular Windows file manager
e. Boot the D2
2. Download JRiver Media Jukebox
a. Have all your files on your hard drive, ensure that you have a good scheme for classifying them. This is a powerful program and will help you better manage your entire library
b. Plug your D2 into your computer, let JRiver recognize it. Drag and drop tracks you want to add to the D2 icon in JRiver. It will queue up the files in the lower left hand corner of the screen. Click "Options" to set the filename and directory structure you want to use on your D2.
c. Click Transfer and let the computer do its thing (can take several hours for 16 GB of music). Do the same for SD card. For some reason, if you copy a bunch of music files over from Windows File Manager (drag+drop method), it doesn't copy them in the same way as if you let JRiver transfer one file at a time, and can cause problems with database recognition.
d. Boot your D2. Verify that your files are there.
e. Turn off and reboot your D2. Verify that it starts up quickly (generally just a few seconds)
f. When you add additional files, always do it through JRiver, never copy in Windows
3. Install Rockbox
Sometimes your D2 database will screw up no matter what you do. And sometimes you just can't spend the hours and hours it takes to re-format the drives, recopy the music. So it's worth it to get Rockbox installed on there as an alternative. Just Google "D2 Rockbox" and you should find what you're looking for. A bit technical, but if you're persistent (or have a technically inclined friend) you should be able to do it. I used Rockbox for about 6 months recently because I couldn't get around to fixing my D2 database, it works well and sounds great, just doesn't have BBE.

If you take all three of these approaches, you should be able to enjoy your D2 again as a music player, rather than a rectangular hockey puck.

GOOD LUCK!