android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 11-24-2010, 03:03 PM

Default I'm looking for a new set of headphones for home use, this is what I listen to, help

I'm looking for a new set of headphones because I want to have something "different".
Right now I own a Grado SR325is (which I really like because they are so energetic and colorful ), and a Stax Lambda Nova Basic ( I like these too because they are "spacious" sounding and have some nice bass and "heft" ) So i enjoy what I have currently, but also want something else.

This is the genre of music I prefer to listen to:
- Movie/Game Soundtracks ( dramatic, orchestral, modern sounding ( think of the "Dark Knight" , "Inception" or Call of Duty MW soundtracks )
- Hard Rock ( sometimes )
- Ambient

I do 90% of my listening at home , I have no time to listen to anything at school.

These are the option I have considered, but they are not "set in stone";
- HiFiman HE-4 ($449 on head direct)
- HiFiman HE-5 ($429 on headroom)
- Grado RS1i ( if I could find a good deal, which is hard )
- AKG k701 ( maybe )
- Anything else ??

And if I could find ( or if anyone knows of a good deal on a combo ie. headphone/amp )

**My Budget is $550 (Maximum)**

I would like to hear some input and opinions on which move I should make.
Thanks

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That was quick, very quick.

Old 11-24-2010, 04:54 PM

oh hey,
yes, I have some spare time today.

Old 11-24-2010, 06:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allswell View Post
oh hey,
yes, I have some spare time today.

Yep yep make sure you check out the AIAIAI TMA-1 Closed Headphone thread right after this one. It might be what your looking for I'm sure interested i'll jump out and let the help find you....

(The link, just in case http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57879)

Old 11-24-2010, 10:18 PM

Anyone ??

Old 11-25-2010, 12:29 AM

Default don't be offended by the slow response we are all listing to our wonderful J3ss

y Let me let you in on this as I've gone through this same process.
First; this question is asked every other day. The most people are sick of seeing this question asked over and over again. All we can provide you with has been asked and answered. They want your input so the can decide if they should change their IEMs.

So Here is the link where you can start. http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15243
This is also a good resource for research.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/list/3

With just these two links you will begin the quest leading back to where are currently are. Your will read tons of opinions and views from hundreds of people who all have their own preference and views. Each with better or worse hearing and all with different & unique inner ear geometry. That being said no one can answer your question but you. If you want different sound then try another brand. If you like your current sound triangular reference, get the same brand and upgrade.

Ultimately you will settle on what you already have decided on because if you change you will have regret it. Spend the money get what you already trust. Believe me your ears will adjust to any of the top 10 IEMs and you will not look back. Trust your own feelings.

Ps
By the way, I use Weston UM3x and for me they are the most comfortable, sturdy, accurate and innovative IEM you can buy. Plus there made in the USA! And no one can tell me different! I loved them so much I purchased a second par... see what I mean.

Last edited by g.711; 11-25-2010 at 12:57 AM.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

This is messed up, seriously messed I sent him over here from Head-fi and now he's been told to go back, blasphemy.

Anyhow I agree I get tired of seeing threads like this pop up to. Then I tone it down a bit and remember. These people are new they want/need information who are we not to give it. Google is available but so is Anythingbutipod last time I checked.

Funny he's looking for headphones I see IEMS in the above post, kind of weird I'm sure those don't look the same. Maybe I'm dum, (or not) and I disagree your question can be answered here or anywhere else.

Last edited by Confispect; 11-26-2010 at 04:57 PM.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:29 PM

Yeah i agree that was a pretty shitty post full of assumptions and non pertinent information. Sending someone away to head-fi when his thread is actually decent isn't very helpful to him nor to this forum as a whole.

There are fewer people here who have higher end headphones than on head-fi but it doesn't invalidate the questions he is asking and someone may be able to offer him some insight.

Now back on topic. Have you tried the Senn HD650 at all? They seem like they would offer you want you're looking for in a very good all round sound with very nice bass for the gaming/movie aspect and can be had generally under $400 if you scout them out hehe.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 11-26-2010, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Right now I own a Grado SR325is (which I really like because they are so energetic and colorful ), and a Stax Lambda Nova Basic ( I like these too because they are "spacious" sounding and have some nice bass and "heft" ) So i enjoy what I have currently, but also want something else.
Quote:
This is the genre of music I prefer to listen to:
- Movie/Game Soundtracks ( dramatic, orchestral, modern sounding ( think of the "Dark Knight" , "Inception" or Call of Duty MW soundtracks )
- Hard Rock ( sometimes )
- Ambient
Sennheiser HD650.