android
Old 10-25-2010, 10:10 AM

Default V-Moda headphones

So I'm looking for a new pair of headphones and I'm interested in V-moda. Especially the Vibe , Vibe Duo , Vibe II and Remix Remote .The prices are similar so I don't know what to chose. For me the most important is bass and comfort. So can somebody help me choose ?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-26-2010, 06:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Bump...

I have tried the Vmoda Vibes and found them pretty good for lower priced IEMs.

I believe ABi member Freeze/Steve has much more experience with the VModa stuff...Hopefully he will see and chime in with some thoughts.

But, why are you looking only at the VModas?

What is your budget?
What kinda music do you generally listen to?
You like bass - is that like thumping deep nightclub bass or fast and tight, punchy bass from double bass drums in metal/prog?

Have you seen these threads/stickies?
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=15243

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ead.php?t=8404

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...hread.php?t=69

Of course, all stuff may not be readily available in Bulgaria, but the above I think are really excellent starting points for your research.

And yes, they make the decision making process more deliciously difficult
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Last edited by lestatar; 10-26-2010 at 07:52 AM.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:18 AM

I own V-Moda Vibe Duos. They sound pretty good but they constantly break. I treat my headphones very well and I'm on probably my 5th replacement pair now. My only other complaint was that they use a weird shaped 3.5mm jack rather than a traditional straight or L one.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
I believe ABi member Freeze/Steve has much more experience with the VModa stuff...Hopefully he will see and chime in with some thoughts.
"much more experience" is a BIG exaggeration.

I got some Vibes and Bass Freqs on Sept 19th of this year. Got another pair of Vibes yesterday. My wife and I like them.

Vibe Duo, Vibe II, Reflex...they all have features that I don't need, and cost more than the Vibes ($15 and $7), and Bass Freq ($4).

When the Vibes first came out (3? years ago), they were well loved on Head-Fi (and probably ABi too). But then people starting having breakage problems. I thought the intro of the angled plug (that is a little weird as j4r3du mentioned) marked some improvements in the build quality.

My wife and I have been wearing the first two pairs in bed which is probably harder on them than normal wearing, and no probs so far. But it's only been 6 weeks.

The original price on the Vibes was over $100 (plus shipping to Canada, and exchange on the dollar). I wouldn't pay that price. But $7, $11, or $15? Worth a try. BTW, the eBay store is currently sold out of the $7 Pink Blush Vibes.

Steve

Old 10-26-2010, 07:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

lol...sorry Steve...Accurate in that you still got more experience than I do
Fixed that though
cheers,
-les
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 10-26-2010, 09:14 AM

Vibe Duo, Vibe II, Reflex...they all have features that I don't need, and cost more than the Vibes ($15 and $7)

I find it strange that every model's price varies so much. I mean who would buy the 15$ ones when you can get them for half the price from the same store, same shipping? I just don't get it. What's the difference between the two? (I'm talking about the 128 headphones store in eBay)

Old 10-26-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Bump...
But, why are you looking only at the VModas?

What is your budget?
What kinda music do you generally listen to?
You like bass - is that like thumping deep nightclub bass or fast and tight, punchy bass from double bass drums in metal/prog?
V-modas caught my eye, because they are stylish, with good sound quality(accordin to the reviews), and cheap.
I generally listen to Hip-Hop/RnB. So maybe I wanna go for the deep nightclub bass. Before looking at V-modas, I was going to buy the Sony MDR-EX35LPR, which cost around 30$, but now I'm leaning towards the V-modas.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanKeRa_bg View Post
Vibe Duo, Vibe II, Reflex...they all have features that I don't need, and cost more than the Vibes ($15 and $7)

I find it strange that every model's price varies so much. I mean who would buy the 15$ ones when you can get them for half the price from the same store, same shipping? I just don't get it. What's the difference between the two? (I'm talking about the 128 headphones store in eBay)
Did you actually look at the auctions and compare them?

Differences: The Blush and Midnight Blue have the angled plug (it's in the auction description). This is the weird plug described above. The Red Roxx have a straight plug. Otherwise Vibes are Vibes (except the $40 2010 Vibes).

Price Differences: These are closeout/clearance items (it says that in the auction listings). The colours with the largest quantity still in their warehouse are probably the cheapest. For example, the pinkness of the $7 Blush ones probably cut out the male segment of the population.

BTW, the $7 Blush auction ended yesterday morning, as all 305 pairs have been sold. I note that someone (store owner?) bought 48, and another buyer 15. Perhaps there will be another group available in the next day or two.

I think you're the same poster who likes their $5 dollar store earphones. Give the Jaded Green Bass Freqs a try for $4. Same shipping as the Vibes. They'll probably be better than the dollar store ones. Unless you're using a cheap knock-off mp3 player. The V-Moda earphones make my cheapee player sound dreadful. BTW, I'm somewhat colour blind, and the Jaded Green is a bit of a weird colour to me.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

EDIT: A Vibe is a Vibe. Aand a "Vibe 2010" is an updated Vibe. But a Vibe II is a different product. And a Vibe Duo is a different product. And the Reflex is (you guessed it)....

Steve

Last edited by FreeZ5; 10-26-2010 at 10:12 AM.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:00 PM

I get it now... By the way I'm planning on using them with a P2. I don't like this Jaded Green colour at all. So, I've narrowed my options to the 10$ good coloured Bass Freqs or 20$ Vibes. Do you think it is worth the 10 bucks? As I said my main criteria is sound quality, especially bass.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

tanker:

I am not experienced at doing comparisons of earphones, and not set up to do it easily. Certainly owing a headphone splitter should make it easier to do comparisons.

We have had the Vibes and Bass Freqs over a month. For much of the last 2-3 weeks my wife has used the Vibes and I have used the Bass Freqs or my JVC FX-66 Air Cushions.

We both feel that the Vibes sounded better than the Bass Freqs but cannot suggest that it is because of better bass or treble or what. I definitely feel that the Vibes are more comfortable when using them lying in bed at night, but I have only used them one night (last night) over the last 2-3 weeks.

The way I feel right now, I will probably end up with another pair of Vibes. One to leave by the bed, and the other for walk around usage. The Bass Freqs will probably be used with one of the computers.

Steve

Old 11-06-2010, 07:31 PM

Default Great Sound! -- TOTAL CRAP BUILD QUALITY!

Bought the V-Moda Vibes for $75 @ costco two summers ago ('08) after reading a number of very good reviews about the sound quality. These are the most expensive headphones I've ever owned and the quality of the sound just blew me away (as compared to the sub-$40 headphones I'd been using all my life).

I pampered these headphones like a newborn on life support. Never carried them in anything but my breast pocket.. always kept the cord wrapped and untangled, keeping undo pressure from the stress points -- I did everything you're supposed to do and a bit more to keep these headphones in tip-top shape because I loved the way they sounded and they cost more than I ever believed I'd spend on essentially: portable speakers for an mp3 player.

After 14 months, the undeniable symptoms of a short near the plug surfaced!??! DAMN IT HELL!!

I had to replace the orig. plug with a Neutrik plug (excellent build quality) and I checked all the the other stress points for signs of wear -- of which there were no visual clues. I kept a vigilant watch for signs of wear for months and about a month ago I took the right driver out of my ear and right wear the driver meets the cord there was a tear in the cable and the wire was broken.

Well.. now what the hell can I do but buy new iems?

I certainly won't ever be a customer of V-Moda - ever again. What difference does it make how good their headphones sound if the build quality is TOTAL CRAP!?

Hell, my goldfish out lasted these things and I assure you that I didn't take anywhere near as good care of it as I did these iems!

Old 11-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If my $15 Vibes, and my wife's $7 Vibes last a year, I think I'll be pretty happy.

BTW, I mentioned the breakage problems in post #4 above.

Steve

Old 11-09-2010, 03:58 PM

I've got V-Moda Phaze's, Bass Freq's and the Vibes with the "improved" wiring. Among them, the only trouble I've had is with the Bass Freq's. I've had to replace them twice due to wiring issues, and the last time I just left them in the packaging.

The other two are chugging along fine, tho. And I REALLY love the sound quality on the Phazes, paired with my iPhone.

I also have a brand new pair of Crossfade LP's collecting dust, because of the exceptionally strange sound these put out. They sound like someone pulled the plug half way out of the jack. But that's a whole 'nother story.

Last edited by fhantazm; 11-09-2010 at 04:34 PM.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:16 PM

I have been using the Vibes until recently, and they have been in my stable for some time now, great bass and good mids and highs.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:31 PM

I originally bought the vibe for 75$ when it first came out. I really enjoyed these headphones and after a year and a half the wiring finally started to break. However, the vibes are only 20-30$ on amazon and decided to buy a new pair because of the cheap price. V moda claims to have fixed the wiring problem with the new angled plug and also the kevlar coating on the wire. I have to say that i am completely satisfied with the new wiring and changes V moda has made. The wires feel nice and firm. Now that it is only around 20 dollars it is a great buy. If you do buy the vibes make sure they are the updated ones and have the kevlar/45 degree plug as this will definitely make the headphones last.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:38 AM

Default So, I got the Vibes...

Based on this thread, I went ahead and ordered a V-Moda Vibe. Since I've read horror stories of it's build quality, went for the cheapest Blush. Just received it today. I can't stand the Pink color, need to gift it away immediately. But the SQ is not bad at all for the $11 I paid (incl shipping to India). May be I'd get a Midnight blue now that I know how they sound.

They are very comfortable.

Bass is very good, though a bit muddy, well extended with good punch. If I EQ it out, the mids seem to be really good. Among the cheapest bass phones I own, these have the most decent mid range. The treble is rolled off though. Sound stage is again decent. They work very well as casual listening IEMs.

Last edited by esanthosh; 07-26-2011 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Fixed Listening impressions