android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 11-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Hippo products on the way, impressions to come

I ordered a set of Hippo VBs from jaben and got a bittersweet message from them...the VB are not in stock due to "manufacturing delays". ETA is end of month. Bitter. They offered to let me cancel my order or send me a set of Hippo Grooves while I wait. I opted for the Grooves and they should be here tomorrow. Sweet. Excellent customer service. I will give them a couple of days of burn in (assuming that actually helps), then I will post some initial impressions. I wont promise an actual review but at least a short list of likes, dislikes and will answer any questions I can.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-15-2010, 12:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

IDvEgo:

Man, that sucks about the VB delay - but yes, Jaben does do the right thing customer service-wise. Thanks Uncle Wilson!

Did you see these threads? Do not anticipate how the VBs will sound based on the Grooves. dfkt found them pretty darn OK for 38USD - I personally did not like them much at all. I corrected my post because I mistook the Grooves for the Hippo Pearls [which I did not sample].

Bottom line: the Hippo 10s were pretty darn great sounding. If I didn't own the VBs or the Panas or my Maximos, I would very much enjoy the Hippo 10s, though the white only color in HK is a turn off for me.

I look forward to hearing your impressions on the Grooves. 'Course dfkt is more on target as I am basically an IEM noob.

I am guessing you might be able to keep the Grooves as well when the VBs ship...keep ur fingers crossed for that

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...9&postcount=10

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...59&postcount=1

cheers!
-les
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 11-15-2010, 01:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I read a few threads on the groove here and over on head-fi and came away with the impression that they were decent for the money...and since this price may end up being $00 they will be especially nice. I am hoping they keep me distracted enough to not buy the panny's while I wait on the VBs.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yah...I hear ya. The Grooves just didn't do it for me, but the 10s surely did. Dunno, maybe the demo pair I listened to was bad? And between me and dfkt and others, it ain't no contest at all as I really am not in the same league

I read pretty good stuff about the Grooves, 10s as well in same sources - for sure, u cannot go wrong for 0USD

Just bear in mind the VBs are a whole other animal
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 11-15-2010, 01:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

after the VBs come in they will go in the loaner drawer next to my marshmallows. That way when someone in the family says "do we have any earbuds (sigh)" I dont have to give them any of my good stuff.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:09 PM

You are in the exact same position as I am. They offered me the Grooves and I took 'em just to have a spair if the VBs break. I hope the order arrives soon...

Old 11-16-2010, 02:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I got my grooves today...but of course I left my J3 at home. Still,a couple of observations on the build and fit...

seems built OK. the grooved part feels a bit bleh. not crappy bit not as solid as it looks. I can see some glue or whatever on the stress relief attached to the barrel.

the cable isnt bad. thicker than my hd428 cans. I like the 3.5 plug. short stress releif but a metal barrel with "groove" etched in it. small plug too, which I love. Right angle and I would be gaga over it. seems silly, but I get hung up on the plug for some reason.

I like the colored tips. since these are generic shaped, having the red and blue makes R/L distinction obvious. The hippo face on the barrel, I could do without.

Oh and these were dusty. I thought they were discolored but a little cleaning wipe and they look fine.

impressions on sound will come when I have a decent source to check them out on. My PC sound card at work sucks.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Congrats ID...look forward to your impressions on the Grooves. Your findings will break the tie over these between dfkt and myself as he liked them a bit better than I did...

But like I said, no contest between who's impressions are more informed
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 11-17-2010, 02:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I dont know about breaking a tie, but I like them well enough. For the $40 and for a bass lover I owuld recommend them over the R02...but my R02s popped apart so I am a bit biased against them. I dont know if I can say they are $30 better than my JVC marshamllows. I can say I enjoyed the upper frequencies on these more than the JVC Aircushions I have, which are about $25. So in quick summary...

build...decent
fit...decent
sound...decent, a bit bass heavy but I ordered the VBs so I don't really mind that

would I recommend them...not sure yet. Would depend on the price. $25? heck yeah. $40...wouldnt be a bad investment, but I think I would buck up and spend a bit more or drop down and save yourself some cash. Admittedly I think this applies to about anything in this price range that I have direct experience with.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
dfkt found them pretty darn OK for 38USD - I personally did not like them much at all. I corrected my post because I mistook the Grooves for the Hippo Pearls [which I did not sample
That's what confused me when I read your post sometime back, because my impression of Pearl did not match yours. Ah! No need to go for the "golden ears replacement" surgery after all .

Old 11-18-2010, 09:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

esantosh: lol...u should have commented back then! I needed to correct that
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 11-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

hmmm...after about 3 days of burn in and some extended listening...I like the groove fairly well. Enjoyable set for the electronic bass for sure.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:11 PM

I just ordered the VB's and if they're still out of stock and offer me the Groove's I'll post my opinions too. I'm not an audiophile but I'll at least give my impressions. And the VB's too, but we all know they're great.