android
Old 01-16-2010, 08:48 AM

Default Loading oxford english dictionary

I recently attempted to load the latest oxford english dictionary, version 4.0 onto the cowon s9. First, I loaded it into the documents folder which didn't work and then I put it into the flash folder and all this produced was an illuminated white screen. Is there anything I can do to make it work? Isn't there some kind of reader out there or anything?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-24-2010, 10:54 AM

i think you're overestimating the s9. it's a pmp...

Old 01-24-2010, 10:05 PM

um...what format are you talking about here? what kind of file is it? details please.

as an English major, I would very much be interested in carrying the OED around with me at all times.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:29 PM

Ok, err before I start out replying to the last post, please remember I am a complete luddite when it comes to technology and all the associated jargon. I just thought I'd better get my apologies in first! Anyway, upon clicking on the OED v4.0 folder on the computer it brings up lots of different files within the folder such as, 'app.n', 'bakdates.t', 'bmk', 'dat.t', 'dblclk.dat', 'ed.t', 'flash','flashplayer.bin', 'fte.t', 'fts.t','gc.dll', 'oed'(which upon inspection is an 'application.exe' file) etc, etc. All of which mean precisely nada to me still living in the 90s. Does it mean anything to you guys and do you need the list of all the file types?

Old 01-29-2010, 11:55 AM

Why do you think the S9 would support the OED? Just curious.

Creative MuVo TX FM | MPIO One | Sansa Clip | iAudio 6 | Cowon D2 (2) | S9 | J3

Old 02-01-2010, 02:02 AM

ah. I see--sounds like the OED that you have is its own program. an exe file (in a Windows sytem, that's what triggers the program to start.) will not run on an S9, as it is not its own computer. if we are to successfully port the OED to the S9...it'd be easiest if we could get a developer to format it into a nice Flash application. significant bribery may be involved in that sort of task. lol

or an interesting idea...since I have no experience with the OED in this form, I have no idea what the program can do. do you know if you can export any of the information to text? because then, it would take a LOT of work, (I could try to help), but perhaps we could drop it into TONS AND TONS AND TONS of text files, in TONS of folders, in TONS more folders, inside one big folder. basically...convert the entire thing to raw text. it might be a somewhat manageable file size if we did that. I doubt it's possible, but you never know right? so yeah...if possible, see if you can copy/paste text from it, or have it export things to a text format (.doc, .rft, .txt, etc). otherwise our only hope would be to have a developer make it into a flash thing...which could be equally time consuming, difficult, and/or impossible.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:58 PM

Cardshark, I have just checked and you can indeed copy and paste text from it directly onto 'Word' for example. However the thought of doing that for every definition of each word fills me with something like horror! However let's say I did it. What would I do with all the text files?

Old 11-19-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_XCI View Post
i think you're overestimating the s9. it's a pmp...
Agree.... S9 does support flash but it's not for any purpose....
There are certain media applications and files from flash.... Dictionary doesn't seem any sort of media application.
I'd rather expect an flash equalizer that unlocks all the frequencies s9 supports.