android
Old 11-10-2010, 09:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Totally on point guys....I too was a master of making compilation tapes. For sure there was a good deal of effort there and people [e.g. chicks] appreciated that stuff back then.

Now, its like...playlist? Meh...took u like 5 mins to do that... lol
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Bonus points for making mixtapes that had all the songs roughly the same volume, too....no ReplayGain back then!

Old 11-10-2010, 10:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

lol...no one really cared about such things in those days as I recall. But I did try to do simple volume matching where possible, making sure the peaks were always about the same...

Man, talking about this brings me back. Growing up, my old man had a few tape decks, all Pioneer stuff, which I always thought was good.

My fave had to be an old school Pioneer which had VU meters and best of all, mechanical piano key lever controls. True mechanical with instant response for the Pause key - as soon as you pressed the Pause key, the roller would drop and tape movement would stop on a dime. This allowed me to make pretty accurate cuts of song starts/stops.

When the old man upgraded to a fancier Pioneer deck, the controls were electronic/solenoid [?] - in any event the result was that with the new deck I remember being very frustrated that there was a lag between when I depressed the Pause key and when the tape stopped moving.

Hard to explain, but it was definitely present.

I was also a blank tape freak back then too - only TDK SA-X or the black rubberized shell casing Maxells for me
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 11-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

My dad had a Yamaha tape deck.....pretty sweet unit, even with the electronic controls. After that,I had several Sony units once I started working.....a great match with my Sony 5 disc changer that I still have. The "peak search" was awesome for volume matching.....would scan a whole CD for the loudest point, so I could set the record level properly.

I haven't plugged it in in a while now....very sensitive to vibration, as you'd expect from such an old unit(1991 vintage). Makes more sense to rip CD's nowadays anyway, IMO.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

lol and I thought this thread was about the new Nakamichi iem's ... btw I still have my sony dual head tape deck featuring tape to tape high speed dubbing, DB noise reduction, MPX filter and volume matching via LED peak level meters

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-11-2010, 08:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

10 different IEM housings at once, all with completely different designs, not a single 'red thread' through their whole lineup? I didn't think Nakamichi would jump on the IEM bandwagon with a deluge of generic OEM phones. Weird.

Those even seem to have the fake 'Shure' housing, as found on the 'Kanen' IEMs sold on Dealextreme - http://nakamichi-usa.com/nbe_150.html

Old 11-11-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef View Post
But cassette tapes were just never good. Nice for audiobooks, but a waste of money otherwise.

//Well I suppose tape cassettes varied in quality... very dependently on the cassette rather than the machine... But crap to less crap is not worth writing home about. Cassettes were about convenience in their day, not audio quality.
http://www.mastersonaudio.com/features/20030801.htm:
Quote:
But when it's done right, analog recording can be staggeringly good.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

VHS tapes, at the fastest recording speed, would yield quite high quality sound, assuming the VCR was up to snuff.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It's not a matter of tape speed - high quality was only possible with JVC's stereo/hifi VHS (also found in other brands recorders), where the audio track was actually recorded to two separate linear tracks on the tape (just like reel-to-reel or compact cassette), contrary to the regular way of interleaving the audio track on the diagonally read video track.

What was this thread about, anyways?

Old 11-11-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
It's not a matter of tape speed - high quality was only possible with JVC's stereo/hifi VHS (also found in other brands recorders), where the audio track was actually recorded to two separate linear tracks on the tape (just like reel-to-reel or compact cassette), contrary to the regular way of interleaving the audio track on the diagonally read video track.
Actually, the path is similar to the way video is recorded.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VHS#Hi-Fi_audio_system.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
What was this thread about, anyways?
This is lestatar's thread, after all....you didn't really think it would stay on topic, did you?

Old 11-18-2010, 08:06 AM

I expect these Nakamichi IEMs to be of a good quality and sound. They wouldn't produce otherwise.

Similar to the Marantz HP101 IEMs. Similar entry into the market by a reputable high end audio company.

For the price paid they are well worth the money.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderkiss View Post
I expect these Nakamichi IEMs to be of a good quality and sound. They wouldn't produce otherwise.

Similar to the Marantz HP101 IEMs. Similar entry into the market by a reputable high end audio company.

For the price paid they are well worth the money.
I will prolly let you know in near future...I am pondering grabbing the top pricepoint IEM and checking them out [provided HMV Hong Kong will take returns].
A Glossary for Newbies