android
Old 11-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Contributing Editor

Help [Opinion] The "Nexus S"

The Nexus S. Google and Samsung. Why?

One thing I liked about Google, and their mobile devices, was the relationship with HTC. Google has worked with them for years. All of their developer phones have been made by HTC, and their flagship phone was made by them, too. They launched the first consumer Android device with the G1. They've continued the line with the G2. It just doesn't make sense, to me, why they would go with Samsung. Maybe they prefer some of Samsung's great hardware, like the sAMOLED screen, or the Hummingbird processor. I'm not sure.

Now, just to be clear: I do not hate Samsung.

I do not like the way Samsung's phones look and work. They look like a cheap, shiny, plastic. It doesn't feel finished. I know looks don't mean everything, but, I don't want something ugly. Plain and simple.

Another concern are those capacitive buttons. I've seen other Samsung devices. The lights on those things turn off pretty fast. Not a major concern, but can get annoying.

The lack of a trackball really bothers me. I don't know about you other Nexus One owners, but I love my glowing trackball. I think it's better and more fun than a notification light.

Other than these concerns, I like the phone. But these simple things will constantly bother me. I'm the type of person who doesn't like to switch hardware unless it is better. Hopefully I change my mind at release.

What do you think? Do you think the Nexus S will be a hit? Do you think it looks good or bad? I'd love to hear all opinions.

Back of the Nexus S. Image courtesy of http://engadget.com

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JoshuaSantiago
Tumblr: http://joshuasantiago.tumblr.com/

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-16-2010, 12:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well I think Google really just wants to be on the cutting edge. HTC makes great quality and premium products but I dont think they are ever on the very cutting edge of technology with their devices. Samsung has the ability to make great and new hardware and maybe Google wants to use that to set future trends on their OS.

Its great for Samsung fanboys- I mean hell finally some kind of guarantee that a Samsung device will be updated in a timely manor! :O

I do however think the Galaxy S is just too ugly that I never really gave much thought to changing from my cheap Desire. This doesn't look to be much different from a stock Galaxy S. Still, I think the Galaxy S has been a bit of a hit worldwide. I do see quite a few of them here, far more Desires though since everyone and their cat bought one when I did, and now everyone thinks its some kind of really great device. Not saying it isn't but its what I'd like to call the iPhone effect, it really is the first Android device most people in Finland have seen en mass

Old 11-16-2010, 01:59 AM
Samsung Moderator

It will be different from a stock Galaxy S. Don't quote me, but I can almost guarantee it will have:

A front facing camera
Their new even higher resolution sAMOLED screen that will probably still have pentile sub-pixels
An RFID reader for their new 'pay-with-your-phone' initiative
A true multi-touch screen that synaptics has just released
Among other small changes...

Really, it's going to be Samsung because of the AMOLED. No one can get AMOLED in reasonable quantities at reasonable prices anymore because Samsung has basically thrown an embargo on them.

sassafras

Old 11-16-2010, 03:53 PM

I think it's too early to tell until the Nexus S ships and we get to hold and test it for ourselves.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:56 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Its apparently also got a non-flat (!) AMOLED screen. I'm not even sure what to make of that.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:33 PM
Samsung Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
Its apparently also got a non-flat (!) AMOLED screen. I'm not even sure what to make of that.
It's just Samsung trying to show off.

Like when Sony released an 11" OLED TV a couple of years ago. Sure it was cool, but it set you back about twelve grand. Hopefully this isn't another situation of excess for excess sake.

sassafras

Tags
google, nexus, nexus 2, nexus s, samsung