android
Old 11-13-2010, 04:35 PM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhantazm View Post
Why so angry? This whole "hate on Apple" fad is getting quite long in the tooth. Although, I have mostly Sandisk players, I do enjoy the occasional romp in the bed with other manufacturers, including Apple. I've bought 1 or 2 pairs of 'phones from Apple, but I certainly don't think that classifies me as being a sheep. To be honest, I really wouldn't care if it did. I got what I wanted, and didn't have to wait for it (unlike 80% of my other gear I bought from online vendors). It's nice to be able to walk into a store, purchase, walk out, and use it almost immediately. Sure you usually end up paying more, but sometimes it's worth it. Not always, but sometimes.
First the only angry tone in my post is your assumption of said angry tone, i simply made a plain remark with no emotion or anger intended.

I have no hate for apple products, i post positively about them often, and i own an iphone and 3 ipods.

What i dislike are stores like the apple store that sell merchandise not based on quality but on it's manufacturers marketing effectiveness to ensure that they are able to sell mass quantities. The apple store is only one of the many stores run in such a manner, another being best buy and futureshop here in Canada, both of which i dislike just as much.

More so i despise how all of these stores overprice and markup their merchandise as they see fit and offer very little real customer service in favour of offering misinformation to sell their overpriced products. I really like how when i went in to the apple store feigning ignorance, i had the sales person constantly pushing me towards monster beats solo as opposed to the lower cost, higher quality Sennheiser cans to make commission or whatever incentives they get.

Quote:
My point is, when did it become "uncool" for a manufacturer to market their product? Or for a person to patronize a particular store to purchase said product? Just because something's being sold at an Apple store, doesn't mean it's instantly a sub-par product and marketed towards unwitting "sheep". On the other hand, just because a product has no visible branding or advertising, doesn't magically make it superior. The aiaiai for instance may very well be superior to the Klipsch and probably are. But this decision shouldn't be based on looks and/or advertisement alone.

I'm definitely not being argumentative, but am honestly interested in the mentality involved.
You make far too many assumptions about the meaning of my simple post. Marketing is something i do not take into consideration when it comes to purchasing a product, as marketing hold little to no truth and/or very one sides truths meant to make units move off the shelves.

The marketing of a product in no way offers any indication of the quality of said product, as it is simply a means to produce sales.

Where did i state that my decision is based on looks or advertisement alone, in fact i stated the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of that sentiment in this very thread. I base my conclusions on the impressions had by those whos opinion i have grown to respect such as dfkt, or The Larch for example about the TMA1, as well as researching all of the pertinent technical information, then i will take into account the aesthetics of a product.

Hopefully that will give you a clearer view of my views on the subject.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Last edited by Adub; 11-13-2010 at 04:45 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-13-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adub View Post
First the only angry tone in my post is your assumption of said angry tone, i simply made a plain remark with no emotion or anger intended.

I have no hate for apple products, i post positively about them often, and i own an iphone and 3 ipods.

What i dislike are stores like the apple store that sell merchandise not based on quality but on it's manufacturers marketing effectiveness to ensure that they are able to sell mass quantities. The apple store is only one of the many stores run in such a manner, another being best buy and futureshop here in Canada, both of which i dislike just as much.

More so i despise how all of these stores overprice and markup their merchandise as they see fit and offer very little real customer service in favour of offering misinformation to sell their overpriced products. I really like how when i went in to the apple store feigning ignorance, i had the sales person constantly pushing me towards monster beats solo as opposed to the lower cost, higher quality Sennheiser cans to make commission or whatever incentives they get.

You make far too many assumptions about the meaning of my simple post. Marketing is something i do not take into consideration when it comes to purchasing a product, as marketing hold little to no truth and/or very one sides truths meant to make units move off the shelves.

The marketing of a product in no way offers any indication of the quality of said product, as it is simply a means to produce sales.

Where did i state that my decision is based on looks or advertisement alone, in fact i stated the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of that sentiment in this very thread. I base my conclusions on the impressions had by those whos opinion i have grown to respect such as dfkt, or The Larch for example about the TMA1, as well as researching all of the pertinent technical information, then i will take into account the aesthetics of a product.
Lol. Ok. As I stated before, I'm not trying to start an argument.

I was seriously (and still am) trying to understand why it's so popular to hate on Apple and the "sheep" who shop there. And trust me, you're definitely not the only one who uses this term, thus my genuine curiosity. I agree they are overpriced (probably the epitome of understatement) and the "funployees" are sometimes brain-dead. But! (There's always a big but ) Everyone who chooses to shop there (or any brick & mortar for that matter), aren't necessarily lemmings or sheep.

It's the same with iDevice owners being called "fanbois". People who use Samsung phones aren't labeled crazy Samsung fanbois and immediately pigeonholed. But Apple users are. As an iDevice owner I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

I know it seems as if I'm defending Apple and/or taking this conversation personally. But, I'm not. I hold no steak in Apple, have only one iPhone and an iPod and feel there are many other players and phones better than the Apple counterpart. I was just genuinely curious as to why you (and others) label Apple shoppers as sheep.

That's all I'm saying. I'm not flaming, nor trying to get anyone upset.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

they are called sheep because they are buying what is popular, regardless of the fact that there may be better products out there for them. Anyone who buys a shuffle is more of a sheep IMO. I haven't seen one thing about a shuffle that makes it worth more than a clip and the clip is cheaper, expandable, and sounds better (presumably). Someone that buys a 160gb classic...not a sheep. there is no real competition fo rit. a person who plays mobiles games and does the app thing and gets a touch...not a sheep. the person that gets a touch to play solitaire on and listen to music and videos...sheep. I wanted a touch for a while until I was at a concert recently and saw...I am not playing...about 10 iphones being held up for pics or with lighters or whatever. I am getting one for my kid though. I may not be a sheep, but I am a pushover. In my defense I did make her look at the archos and the j3 before making a decision.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Derailed again and i had nothing to do with it! lol

In an attempt to satisfy your genuine curiosity, please allow me to offer my own 2 cents on the subject.

Indeed, not every Apple product user is an "isheep" - it would be hyperbole to say so. However, it does appear that a significant majority are indeed relatively clueless as to exactly why they desire and purchase Apple products, if the people in my own wide circle of friends and acquaintances are any indication. Conversations with these folks often go like this:

"Hey, I see you got a new Nano."
"Yeah man, its awesome. Sexy as hell right?"
"Hmm, yeah, it does seem pretty nice. How does it sound? And no offense, but you're a big guy...isn't that touchscreen thing kinda small? I mean how do you get around on the thing, you know, using the features and stuff?"
"Dude, this thing is so cool. What's EQ? The screen is so slick - I can swipe and tap stuff. It's a lot of fun..."
"Yeah, OK, but how does it sound?"
"Sounds good man, but the screen is so cool and its so small!"
"Huh...so what did you pay for that again?"
"It was like 190USD - I think that was for 16GB size. Dude, look at this thing! Its so small and cool..."
"Nice man...enjoy that..."

Hyperbole, sure, a little bit, but not too far off the mark from real conversations I have had with people.

Lots of people have used/own Apple products here - this site is not so much anti-Apple as it is to explore alternatives, products that do more, do stuff better, and do it all for much less.

OK, back to your regularly scheduled programming...

-les
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies

Old 11-13-2010, 06:15 PM
ABI Invaluable

If you go to the apple store to buy something specific because it's easily available there and you want it, that doesn't really put you in the whole sheep category in my opinion.

It's the majority of consumers who go there and just choose from the available stock because they don't do their research and don't care or they go there to buy what they see on TV or what everyone else has regardless of quality.

I am just an advocate of smart shopping, and i can't understand purchasing based on marketing and aesthetics alone.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 11-13-2010, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adub View Post
If you go to the apple store to buy something specific because it's easily available there and you want it, that doesn't really put you in the whole sheep category in my opinion.

It's the majority of consumers who go there and just choose from the available stock because they don't do their research and don't care or they go there to buy what they see on TV or what everyone else has regardless of quality.

I am just an advocate of smart shopping, and i can't understand purchasing based on marketing and aesthetics alone.
Understood. Fair enough.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
Derailed again and i had nothing to do with it! lol

In an attempt to satisfy your genuine curiosity, please allow me to offer my own 2 cents on the subject.

Indeed, not every Apple product user is an "isheep" - it would be hyperbole to say so. However, it does appear that a significant majority are indeed relatively clueless as to exactly why they desire and purchase Apple products, if the people in my own wide circle of friends and acquaintances are any indication. Conversations with these folks often go like this:

"Hey, I see you got a new Nano."
"Yeah man, its awesome. Sexy as hell right?"
"Hmm, yeah, it does seem pretty nice. How does it sound? And no offense, but you're a big guy...isn't that touchscreen thing kinda small? I mean how do you get around on the thing, you know, using the features and stuff?"
"Dude, this thing is so cool. What's EQ? The screen is so slick - I can swipe and tap stuff. It's a lot of fun..."
"Yeah, OK, but how does it sound?"
"Sounds good man, but the screen is so cool and its so small!"
"Huh...so what did you pay for that again?"
"It was like 190USD - I think that was for 16GB size. Dude, look at this thing! Its so small and cool..."
"Nice man...enjoy that..."

Hyperbole, sure, a little bit, but not too far off the mark from real conversations I have had with people.

Lots of people have used/own Apple products here - this site is not so much anti-Apple as it is to explore alternatives, products that do more, do stuff better, and do it all for much less.

OK, back to your regularly scheduled programming...

-les
Haha. Nah, no derailing. The topic is still being discussed......somewhat.

And your reply definitely makes sense. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:05 PM

Default Oops.

THE BAD NEWS: Thanks to me being an idiot, stepping on the plug and ripping the cord, I've had to re-cable.

THE GOOD NEWS: These benefit GREATLY from a re-cable. But, let me make this perfectly clear; it's the thickness of the wire that makes the difference. NOT some B.S. "super space-age polymer oxygen free diamond encrusted" magic sauce.

I just went to RadShack and picked up a run-of-the-mill 6ft, 1/8" stereo to dual stereo RCA cable and although quite "stiff", it works beautifully. I thought these had bass before.....WOW! It's like a whole new pair headphones. Clarity on the mids and highs seems to have taken a turn for the better as well; but I could just be imagining things. And of course, the mic and iPod controls were removed.

As previously mentioned, the only thing I have a problem with is the stiffness and sheer thickness of the cable. If I had to do it again, I would probably have used a less thick/more pliable cable. But I'm still quite pleased and especially happy with the sound quality.

Last edited by fhantazm; 12-11-2010 at 06:15 PM.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:43 AM

Quote:
THE GOOD NEWS: These benefit GREATLY from a re-cable. But, let me make this perfectly clear; it's the thickness of the wire that makes the difference. NOT some B.S. "super space-age polymer oxygen free diamond encrusted" magic sauce.
I think that any improvement would come from removing the inline remote.

Nice job on the re-cable. How hard was it to open the cans up.

Last edited by The Larch; 12-12-2010 at 08:38 AM.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Larch View Post
I think that any improvement would come from removing the inline remote.

Nice job on the re-cable. How hard was it to open the cans up.
Yea, I think you're right.

Thanks! These were probably one of the easiest pair of cans I've ever opened up. Just pop the earmuffs off and unscrew 4 phillips screws. Klipsch made it quite easy.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:56 PM

Yet another update! I was able to procure the actual cord assembly direct from Klipsch at no charge, and now have the stock cable again. The extra (admittedly possibly a placebo) bass boost I got from the beefy cord isn't worth the hassle of having to keep the cord completely still to prevent it from pulling itself out.

Old 03-13-2011, 08:01 PM

Do these headphones work on non iPod/Apple players?

Old 03-13-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Bad View Post
Do these headphones work on non iPod/Apple players?
What the ...?

I think I'm missing something here but anyway:

Posted above, it's a Sansa player so yes those headphones work on non apple products o_O

Am I being trolled? =/

Old 03-13-2011, 09:54 PM

Yeah...with a Radioshack plug?
The basis for my question was a comment I saw elsewhere about someone using these for thier PC and another device, they had to leave the plug a bit pulled out. If they pushed it in all the way they got sound from just one channel. I figured that the extra ring on the plug for the mic may been effecting it.

Last edited by Leroy Bad; 03-13-2011 at 10:09 PM.

Old 03-13-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Bad View Post
Yeah...with a Radioshack plug?
The basis for my question was a comment I saw elsewhere about someone using these for thier PC and another device, they had to leave the plug a bit pulled out. If they pushed it in all the way they got sound from just one channel. I figured that the extra ring on the plug for the mic may been effecting it.
Oh ok, my bad then. And no idea about that situation.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:31 AM

I'm sorry to be late in this thread but how exactly does the Image ONE compare to the S4? I use the S4 as my primary mobile earphones but eventually I feel like buying something that isn't an IEM for portable use. My Sennheiser HD280 isn't exactly easy to walk around with.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDvsEGO View Post

plus jobs is an oddball and borderline doosh.
"Borderline???" This is a man who got cheated his best friend out of a serious amount of money when they were both broke. (Jobs took a 50% commission on finding Wozniak a job designing a piece of hardware, but lied about the fee - so Wozniak, who did most of the work, got 25%.)

Old 08-22-2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by fhantazm
Why so angry? This whole "hate on Apple" fad is getting quite long in the tooth.

Given that Apple based its business on wholesale theft from Xerox and is now trying to protect it by suing other companies for eg making rectangular tablet computers that use icons... not a lot of time for Apple!