android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 11-04-2010, 04:52 PM

Default Apple retail store selling Panasonic HJE900 earphones at £199.95. Advise wanted.

I was wondering if someone could give me some advise.

Recently I went on holiday to London and while there I tried to buy top of the range Panasonic HJE900 earphones after reading good reviews on this site but I was told they were discontinued from various electrical stores. I then visited the London Apple store at Regent Street and found the earphones there. They were selling for £199.95. I then bought them for that price but now I am regretting it. Today I went into my local Panasonic shop and found the same earphones going for only £99. I then asked the saleman if this was the right price and he told me they were which got me angry considering I was £100 more for them at the Apple retail store He then mentioned that £199.95 were the RRP but because those are the last in stock from Panasonic they have gone down in price by 50%. He also told me that Apple shouldn't be selling discontinued items at the RRP of £199.95

I was wondering if I was to get in contact with Apple about this matter would they refund me the £100? I was also thinking of sending them back to get my money back but I am scared that if I do that I will not be able to buy them ever again if the two that were in stock at my local Panasonic centre get sold.

Please advise

Art

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Get a bloody refund and repurchase from a cheaper seller,............what other advice would you need???

Old 11-04-2010, 05:09 PM

Calm down! I was only wanting advise of what Apple were like on refunds considering the earphones have been used once and the law in this country makes it harder to return earphones because of health and safety standards.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmuzz View Post
Please advise
Sometimes you make bad bargains. It can only be on the 6-pack drink, but sometimes on expensive items. That's life.
I think you should just enjoy your headphones if you cared for them enough to pay this price. But my advice would be to never shop without
  1. A price limit.
  2. References prices from different shops.
If you think these Panasonic are that good you should be thinking about getting a backup second pair at this £99 price instead of worrying about what you pay for the first one.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:10 PM

If they don’t refund your money, look at it as a good lesson learned. Always check the net before you buy electronics from a B&M, 9 out of 10 times you’ll save lots via the net …

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 11-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

My point is, and should be quite common knowledge by now, that Apple sells accessories at insanely high prices - and you shouldn't need advice on if you should return the IEM's or not. I'd have done so already, or made such a big stink that Apple would price match the competition. Simple as that. THEN I'd be bragging about how I got Apple to do my eevl bidding,...Muahahahahaha!!!!!

Old 11-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

WOW! 200 Quid? = $320!

On Amazon they are selling for $90(form J&R) J&R doesn't ship to Europe though, but B&H does, and B&H sells it for $100. I don't know how much shipping to Europe costs, and if you would have to pay duty when buying it from the US. Many people outside the US buy cameras and electronics from B&H.

I suggest you try to return it. If that doesn't work, and they say they can't accept a return for hygenic reasons, then try to get a credit for the price difference from what you paid to the price in the other UK store, and also bring a copy of the B&H web page to show that the price in the other UK store is not really a special clearance price, but just a current market price(the B&H price of $100 might become around $160 or so with shipping and possible taxes?)

Many have been burned by high retail prices. That Apple store price is outrageous.
First start out being nice, and if that doesn't help, then perhaps you can use more aggressive tactics.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...eadphones.html

Old 11-05-2010, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
I suggest you try to return it. If that doesn't work, and they say they can't accept a return for hygenic reasons, then try to get a credit for the price difference from what you paid to the price in the other UK store, and also bring a copy of the B&H web page to show that the price in the other UK store is not really a special clearance price, but just a current market price(the B&H price of $100 might become around $160 or so with shipping and possible taxes?)
I was thinking of getting the £100 difference credited back to my bank account but the nearest Apple store from me is about 100 miles away. Would it be possible to phone Apple at their London retail store phone number and ask for the price difference back? Or would I be better emailing them?

Please advise

Art

Old 11-05-2010, 09:09 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I guess you can try it, although perhaps you might have more success in trying to return it. I have a feeling that the Apple store might say to you that they have no price match policy.

You can try to do this over the phone, however if that doesn't work then you might have more success in person. If they aren't cooperative, then you could tell them that you have no choice but to tell your story to various newspapers and television networks, and if that doesn't work, then perhaps actually do this. I guess legally you probably don't have a right to a refund or price match, however ethically it seems like you deserve it. The bad PR that your story will generate if it is widely publicized is something that Apple will want to avoid. First try to be nice though, and see if they will be fair with you.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
If they aren't cooperative, then you could tell them that you have no choice but to tell your story to various newspapers and television networks, and if that doesn't work, then perhaps actually do this. I guess legally you probably don't have a right to a refund or price match, however ethically it seems like you deserve it. The bad PR that your story will generate if it is widely publicized is something that Apple will want to avoid. First try to be nice though, and see if they will be fair with you.
Hahahaha

Oh that would be fantastic if I could put the wind up Steve Jobs and his evil greedy Apple empire by telling my story to the newspapers and television networks LOL

Last edited by Artmuzz; 11-05-2010 at 12:58 PM.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:46 AM

Today I phoned Apple's London Regents Street store and was appalled by the attitude of a member of staff I was put through to. Anyway, I told him that after buying them I had seen the Headphones sell 50% cheaper at the Panasonic store and that with me being a loyal customer of Apple I was wondering if I could get some of the money back as a price match rather than returning them and getting my money back. His ton of voice gave me the impression that he couldn't care less and told me that I would have to go to my nearest Apple store and return them then abruptly he said "thank you for phoning Apple" then hung up

This experience has left me very angry towards Apple. I tried to be polite but I get this in return. At the end of the day its my own fault for being a mug and for throwing my money towards that greedy fat bellied money grabbing company called Apple

Art

Old 11-12-2010, 11:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Artmuzz: I do feel your pain. Yes, really you only have yourself to blame, but hey! We all make mistakes - lesson learned.

As for the pricing on these by Apple - I am not really surprised at all. But also, as a capitalist, I defend their right to charge as much as the market can bear. Despicable, perhaps yes. But we all know that is the nature of the beast.

The commercial machine that Apple has created is incredible. They charge massive amounts of money for their products to an enormous customer base that is largely ignorant of the real, objective pros and cons of the Apple stuff. They create desire and as a result enjoy near fanatical devotion to their gear, locking you into the way they do things. Once you go Apple, it seems upgrading to more Apple stuff is indeed the path of least resistance. Some good stuff from Apple, no doubt - great materials, design, GUIs, etc. But for the price they ask for many of their products?

There are many many alternatives out there - thus sites like ABi

Return them quietly and get them elsewhere
cheers,
-les
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies