android
Old 10-27-2010, 09:02 AM

Default Maximo iMetal 590: Very Impressive

So for $50, I took the plunge after reading plenty of good reviews for these, and their sound quality is clearly top notch--I am still surprised at how good these sound for $50, as they easily compare to $100 IEM's I have owned in the past, maybe they surpass them.

But there is one big problem here: I cannot get a comfortable fit with ANY of the included tips, and this is really disappointing to me because I feel like I am not getting the most out of these. What constantly happens is that after an hour of going through and trying out all the sizes, I had to use the smallest one for my right ear and the medium for my left ear, at least this seemed to offer the best fit. But every 2-3 minutes I found myself constantly having to push them back into my ears, allowing me to hear how awesome the bass is on these, and then slowly, the bass fades, then I have to push them back in again. It is very aggravating. Believe me, I have tried everything, over the ear, twisting them, different angles, to no avail. Has anybody used these with Comply tips? I have Comply tips for a number of my IEM's, which generally work great, so anybody recommend getting these--I currently own pairs of the TX-100, and the iMetal's require TX-200, according to Complyfoam.com, so I would need to buy a new set.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-27-2010, 09:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Ask lestatar.....he probably has the most experience with the 590's of everyone here.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:15 PM

The 590 and the S4 have an almost identical freq response chart, i'm not at all surprised they sound good.
Battle.net Tag: wuaffiliate#1677

Old 10-27-2010, 03:18 PM

Have you tried wearing them over the ear? If that doesn't help, they may just not be for you. Actually, fit problems are why I almost always prefer an over the ear, ergonomic shape like the meelectronics M6 or any of westone's IEMs. With that kind of body design, problems with fit (and comfort) are normally avoided.
Pulvis et umbra sumus.
-Horace

Old 10-27-2010, 11:01 PM

i have a similar fit problem but with meelectronics m9. i used the default tips as well as sony hybrid tips. but i find the bass losing in left ear and i have to keep adjusting it. i haven't really found any solution, except to keep adjusting it when it seems the quality is not good.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey glove4, chiming in from Shenzen, China...

First, so awesome you find the i590s as great as I do. Nice to not be alone.

Second, unfortunately, I cannot help with the tips, though I do know exactly what you mean. However for me, the stock largest tips fit my tunnel ear canals perfectly - my seal is strong and stays put for long periods of time. And for sure, a solid seal is essential to get the most of the surprisingly good and clear bass.

Unfortunately due to the double flange nature of the i590s, it may be tough to find tips, but prolly not impossible. I simply don't have a lot of experience yet with replacement tips.

perhaps dfkt, WG or some of the other experts can suggest something based upon the visual look of the i590s....

In the meantime, do try to hang in there with the i590s. They are indeed worth it. Nice accessory package eh? Is your i590 the one with the black rubberized angled connector? If yes, this is the newest version. This one uses a much more supple cloth covered cable which will resist kinking much better than the original one I got back in March. Also, did you "burn them in" as suggested by Maximo for 10 hours? lol

cheers and I wish I could be of more help...Of course, I will monitor this thread closely

-les
PoolCues: a bunch
A Glossary for Newbies